Apr 02

Microphone Cake Pops

Having a Rockstar Party? Or does your child just love singing and microphones? Make them some Microphone Cake Pops and they’ll love to sing with their dessert!

microphone-cake-pops

Yesterday in the car, after a parking lot scolding session, Jordan made a nasty imitating face of me when she thought I wasn’t looking.

My first thought was, “Oh no she didn’t!” complete with head bobbing and finger wagging.

My second one was “Do not laugh.” I had to bite my tongue and pretend to blow my nose to cover the chuckling.

I called her out on it and her first words were? “I didn’t do it!”

Of course. That’s the first thing every kid all over the world says.

She finally admitted to it a few hours later, because she wanted her iPod back.

Apparently, 8 is the new 12. Are we actually to that point where she no longer is upset when I get mad at her? Mocking me today, sneaking out of the house to meet her boyfriend tomorrow. OMG.

It’s only been a month since she turned 8. I guess she’s forgotten all about all the fun things I did for her birthday.

Like Microphone Cake Pops. Fun party treats for a fun rockstar party that no one mocked me for.

microphone-cake-pops

I was originally going to buy a mold for microphone pretzel pops. But when I ordered them and the company never responded and it seemed I would never actually receive the mold, inspiration hit me.

Duh. Cake balls + pretzel rods + silver sprinkles = Microphone Cake Pops.

You can make your cake pop mixture out of whatever flavors you want. I used a chocolate cake mix and vanilla frosting. I made large cake balls, using my 2 tablespoon cookie scoop.

Now, if you know me at all, you know I suck at pops of any sort. So if I can get these babies to stay on a pretzel rod, so can you.

Here are a few tips for dipping cake pops:

1. Keep your chocolate warm while you work. Heat an electric griddle (I have a Cuisinart Griddler – it’s my most used kitchen appliance) to 200 degrees and cover it with two kitchen towels. Set your bowl of melted chocolate on top and it will stay liquid while you dip.

2. When dipping pops, use a drinking glass or a coffee mug. I got this tip from my friend Karyn, who is the Cake Pop Queen. I used a large drinking glass for these pops, one of those wide-mouthed plastic ones. You want the chocolate deep enough that you don’t have to swirl or move your pop too much when dipping. Movement = Bad. Movement = Pop falls off stick.

3. Make sure your pops are cold. And make sure you dip your stick (or pretzel rod) in a little chocolate first, before inserting it into the cake ball.

4. After dipping the entire cake ball in chocolate, no swirling, remove it and use your free hand to tap the hand holding the pop, not the pop itself. Do this to get rid of the excess chocolate.

5. Always prepare a drying area before you start dipping. I like to fill a wide-mouthed vase with rice to stick my pops in, especially these ones, with pretzel rods. If you are using lollipop sticks, you can also use styrofoam.

6. Your child will love you if you make these. Not really a tip, but true. Your daughter’s friends will think you’re the best mom ever, and even her teacher will gaze at you in wonder that you made edible microphones.

microphone-cake-pops

But they probably won’t mock you for it. Or make faces when they think you aren’t looking.

If 8 is the new 12 then 12 is the new…

*Shudder*

Microphone Cake Pops

Microphone Cake Pops

• Cake, your favorite flavor, baked and cooled (I used a chocolate box mix)
  • Frosting, about 3/4 can for a 9x13” cake (I used a can of vanilla)
  • White Candy Melts or Candiquik
  • Silver jimmies
  • Pretzel Rods

1. Crumble your cake into a large bowl. Mix in about 1/2 can of frosting, adding more as necessary to make the mixture able to stick together smoothly. The mixture should be able to stick together, but not stick to your hands when you roll it (that means it’s too wet).
  2. For the microphone cake pops, I used a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the balls of cake and frosting mixture. Roll into balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill until ready to dip.
  3. Melt your candy melts according to package directions. Pour into a large drinking glass or coffee mug for easier dipping.
  4. TIP: When I dip things in melted chocolate, I like to keep it warm so that it doesn’t harden. I preheat an electric griddle to 200 degrees and cover it with two kitchen towels. Place the melted chocolate bowls/cups on the griddle and stir occasionally. It will keep your chocolate warm and melted while you are dipping.
  5. Fill a wide-mouthed vase with rice or other small items, to use it for holding the microphones upright while the chocolate hardens.
  6. Place sprinkles in a shallow bowl.
  7. To assemble the microphones: dip a pretzel rod in the chocolate about 1/2”. Press the end into a cake ball and immediately dip the entire thing into the melted chocolate, covering the entire cake ball up to the pretzel rod in one motion. Try not to swirl the pop.
  8. Remove from the chocolate and hold the cake pop over the cup of melted candy. Tap the hand holding the pop several times to remove excess chocolate. Dip into jimmies and roll to cover completely, sprinkling them over the cake pop as needed to cover.
  9. Place the pop upright in the vase you filled with rice and let it harden. Repeat with remaining pops.
  10. Once the pops are hardened, you can lay them in a container or on a cookie sheet and chill until ready to serve. Be sure to keep them in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap or the pretzel will get stale.

Almond Roca Cake Pops

almond roca cake pops

Chocolate Cake Ball Stuffed Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Fancy Spring Flowers Cake Pops by Pint Sized Baker
Cake Batter Cookie Dough Bombs by The Domestic Rebel
108 Oreo Cookies in a Cake by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in Training, Lil’ Luna, Buns In My Oven, Chic-and-Crafty, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays, Strut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Sundae Scoop Link Party, and all of these too!

67 Responses to “Microphone Cake Pops”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 2, 2013 at 3:24 pm (#)

I have a 6 yr old going on 26. I can relate. Love these and the Griddler tip! Funny how certain things get a ton of (unintended) use!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I know right? It’s seriously my favorite appliance. :) Thanks Averie!

2. Jen B posted on April 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm (#)

Cake Pop microphones! Those are too cool! Thanks for sharing all the Cake Pop dipping tips! I often fight with them when I’m dipping them; glad to know I’m not the only one who struggles with it! Great tips! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Jen! I am SO bad at pops, so I was pretty proud of myself. :)

3. Amy @Very Culinary posted on April 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm (#)

That’s just pure awesome.

4. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on April 2, 2013 at 4:30 pm (#)

These are SO adorable, Dorothy! I bet Jordan FLIPPED for them :) I would, too!

Also.. I’m so sorry you’ll be going through teenage years soon. Thank goodness I’ll be nearby with alcohol!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:55 pm

For me or her? LOL KIDDING. Thanks for being my friend Hayley!

5. Mom posted on April 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm (#)

These are so cute! I’m sure the kids loved them. I use my waffle iron (closed with a towel over it) to keep the chocolate warm while dipping. I got the idea from your griddle trick.
    Mom :}

6. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on April 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

To quote Hayley in one of my most favorite blog comments ever (save all those left from you of course), these are AMAZEBALLS! You should for sure remind Jorden of them every day from now until she is 24. Though I can’t say that will prevent more mocking. Actually, it will probably encourage it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Lisa! And that’s funny – totally mock-worthy behavior. :)

8. Tieghan posted on April 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm (#)

Microphones! There are to cute! my four year old sister would think these are so cool!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I’m sure she would. Rock stars are all the rage these days. :) Thanks Tieghan!

9. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on April 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm (#)

These are so cute!! Perfect for a rockstar party! I wish I made these for a 4 year old rockstar party last november! So creative and fun!!

10. Heather @ French Press posted on April 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

I am really not looking forward to those fun teen years:) Stella already is door slamming/face making…and she doesn’t even get upset when I take her ipod away anymore

• Heather @ French Press replied on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:54 pm

duh …cute pops!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:47 am

OMG, really? I am NOT looking forward to that… Thanks Heather!

11. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 2, 2013 at 7:43 pm (#)

My 5-year old has already perfected the art of the “eye-roll.” I don’t know how I’ll ever make it through the teenage years! These microphone cake pops are awesome, Dorothy! I bet the girls had a great time with these–you are a rock star mom.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:46 am

LOL, I don’t either! Thanks Ashley!

12. Kristin posted on April 2, 2013 at 7:53 pm (#)

I had MULTIPLE children roll their eyes at me today. For real, I’m done.

I feel your pain in, at least, some small way.

I can’t believe the company never responded to you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:46 am

Really? At a TEACHER? Jordan would never, ever do that. She saves all the fun behavior for me. Her teacher laughs when I tell her Jordan stories, because she has such a dual personality…

13. Back for Seconds posted on April 2, 2013 at 8:58 pm (#)

These are fabulous!! What a creative idea, Dorothy!
    Teenager attitude already? Ugh. I’m skeered :/

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:44 am

Yeah. Me too… Thanks Stephanie!

14. ashley - baker by nature posted on April 3, 2013 at 4:07 am (#)

These are adorable in every way!

15. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on April 3, 2013 at 5:32 am (#)

you are SO creative. These cake pops are totally adorbs. If your daughter has super prematurely hit her teen years, maybe she’ll come out of the I-hate-my-parents phase extra early because she gets interested in boys, and you can avoid the whole sneaking out part ;-)

16. tanya posted on April 3, 2013 at 5:33 am (#)

No I’m not ready for 8 to be the new 12!!!! Is it always startling when you catch your kids imitating your face or your voice? That’s when I realize how crazy I must seem to my kids. Oh, well, I’m not changing. You are seriously a cool mom! These are awesome! I love the picture of Jordan singing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:43 am

I’m not changing either! :) Thanks Tanya!

17. Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:21 am (#)

This is such a cute idea, Dorothy! I love that even the stick/handle is edible.

18. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:23 am (#)

So fun! Perfect party idea!

19. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:08 am (#)

When I saw a pic of these on instagram yesterday – I immediately thought to myself “Dorothy is the coolest mom ever b.c Jordan probably LOVED these!!!” Oh and on my flight home from Utah the other day, I sat next to a 10 year old who was giving ME pointers about an iPhone. 10 YEARS OLD. Kids grow up fast!!!! I felt ancient lol.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:43 am

LOL! That’s hilarious. Jordan was 6 when she showed me how to use mine. !!!!

20. carrian posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:18 am (#)

I can just hear the squealing excitement from our girls. Cannot wait to make these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:42 am

Thanks Carrian! They’ll love them!

21. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:36 am (#)

Hi Dorothy.. We have seen you photo a few time in other peoples blogs but never visited you page. Love everything we have seen so far!! How cute are these cake pops!!!

Hope you check us out…

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:42 am

Thanks so much for coming by!

22. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:57 am (#)

Oh dear you poor thing! In my babysitting experience…what you say is not wrong.

But what an awesome mom you are for making these SUPER cool and cute cake pops! Brilliant!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:42 am

LOL, thanks for the words of wisdom. (EEK!) :)

23. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on April 3, 2013 at 10:11 am (#)

Impressively creative, Dorothy!! Unfortunately, I’m very familiar with the way-to-young ‘tude from my class of 1st graders … 1ST GRADERS! Though … like you … sometimes I have to hide my chuckling, too. :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I can’t believe that kids at school have attitudes with teachers. Jordan better never do that…. !!! Thanks Tracey!

24. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on April 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm (#)

These are adorable! My kids would love these. What a clever idea! :)

25. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on April 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm (#)

Such an awesome idea! My husband and I don’t have kids yet, but I’m ALREADY dreading the snarky teenage years ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 5:55 pm

LOL, so am I! :) Thanks so much!

26. Pingback: VIP Rock Star Party Ideas - Crazy for Crust

27. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on April 4, 2013 at 8:05 am (#)

Those are way too cute!!! And I know exactly what “tude you are experiencing…mine is 11 going on 18 and boy oh boy! She has been trying to push the limits so much more lately. Lucky for us…you just look at her in a mean way and she melts down! I am dreading the next few years though!!! We need to live closer so we can eat chocolate and get through this together :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Yes, yes we do. I’m just hoping the mean looks work! :) Thanks Jocelyn!

28. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on April 4, 2013 at 8:21 am (#)

These are so cute and such a great idea!!

29. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on April 4, 2013 at 9:01 am (#)

Your daughter sounds like me when I was her age. She will grow out of it but not without a few screaming matches along the way. Just remember at the end of the day she loves you. And these microphone cake pops are making my inner tween scream with excitement! How fun.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

LOL, those screaming matches have already started! :) I have to take a deep breath and remember those things. :) Thanks so much Nicole!

30. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on April 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm (#)

So cute and I love the metallic sprinkles!

31. Jill @ Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons posted on April 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm (#)

These are so cute! We would love for you to share this at our Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday link party…just posted it! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2013/04/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I just did Jill! :) Thanks for the party!

32. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on April 4, 2013 at 8:05 pm (#)

Loving all your tips ’cause pops and I don’t get along much either :) Jordan is just too much! Reece turns 7 in June and I still can’t believe it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 5th, 2013 at 11:22 am

Crazy!! They grow up way too fast!

33. Renee posted on April 12, 2013 at 6:58 pm (#)

I am making the microphone pops tomorrow, but with marshmellows and lollipop sticks…lazy way!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 14th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Perfect Renee! That sounds almost better than cake pops! :)

34. Heather - Chickabug posted on July 5, 2013 at 9:27 am (#)

You have to love any dessert that lets kids be a superstar! Thanks for sharing these Dorothy! : )