Mar 25

Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast #EccePanis

Need a delicious and easy breakfast for Easter? Try this Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast made with Ecce Panis bread! All the prep is done the night before so all you have to do in the morning is bake and eat!

overnight-banana-baked-french-toast

You know what I really dislike about Holiday morning breakfasts? That I have to make them, and try and enjoy the holiday. Meanwhile, my husband and child (and sometimes other family members) relax on the couch, look through their presents or drink coffee and read the newspaper. And me? I’m in the kitchen, cooking, cleaning, and doing dishes.

Don’t get me wrong: I love doing the cooking part. It’s the “up at the crack of dawn go-go-go and watch everyone else relax” thing I don’t like. Which is why I always try to make breakfast on holidays easy, while still being super indulgent. I mean, I can’t exactly serve cold cereal to a house full of relatives, right? And, on the same note, I’m not willing to stand over a hot griddle for an hour flipping pancakes when I could be relaxing and enjoying the fun everyone else is having.

Enter: baked french toast. Or, better yet: Overnight baked french toast. It’s perfect for your Easter brunch because it’s so easy – and it’s almost all done ahead of time!

overnight-banana-baked-french-toast

Thanks to my work with Collective Bias, I was recently able to try Ecce Panis Bread (from Walmart) and incorporate it into an Easter meal. I love bread. Like, love it I want to marry it. If I could only bring three food items to a deserted island they would be: pie, chocolate, and bread.

When I brought home my bread (I chose the Neo-Tuscan Boule, but EccePanis has all sorts of versions: baguettes, dinner rolls, and ciabatta) I knew I was going to make overnight french toast with it. I’ve seen versions of this all over blogland, but I’ve never made it. Jordan loves french toast and it’s one of those things that I love to eat, but don’t love to make. All that dipping and frying and waiting. If you knew what I was like in the morning, you’d know that “patient” is not a word to describe me before my first (or second) cup of coffee.

I decided to not only make overnight french toast, but to stuff it with something. I’ve seen versions of stuffed french toast made the regular way, but I wanted to stuff it and overnight it. So I did!

overnight-banana-baked-french-toast

This version of stuffed french toast is made with bananas. A mixture of banana, sugar, and cream cheese is stuffed inside slices of Ecce Panis bread. (You make sandwiches with the bread and the banana mixture, then slice it into chunks). You place all your bread chunks in your baking dish, and then you pour an egg/milk mixture over the top. I added sugar and some hazelnut extract to my egg mixture, but you can use vanilla (or even almond) extract instead. The pan of bread and egg sits overnight in the refrigerator, and then the next morning you just sprinkle on the topping (sugar and nuts) and bake. That’s all there is to it! No more slaving over a hot stove on Easter morning, when your kids are begging to do an egg hunt.

Oh, and one more thing. I made the Best. Syrup. EVER: Banana Maple Syrup.

overnight-banana-baked-french-toast

This syrup – really there are no words. It’s sliced bananas, cooked with a little butter and brown sugar, then blended with maple or pancake syrup. It is amazing. It takes the Banana Stuffed French Toast over the top with sweet banana flavor.

Seriously, I could have put a straw in that jar. I have some syrup left over and I’m going to coat every single breakfast in it until it’s gone.

overnight-banana-baked-french-toast

Seriously, this is the easiest and one of the best breakfasts ever. It’s perfect for Easter, or any holiday (or a random Sunday). I think that picture speaks for itself, what do you think?

Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast #EccePanis

Yield: 12 servings

Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast #EccePanis

Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites

For the French Toast:
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 overripe banana
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 16 ounces crusty bread (I used two 8-ounce mini boules), best if it’s day-old
  • 1 teaspoon hazelnut extract (optional - you can use vanilla)
  • 7 eggs
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts), optional
  • For the Banana Maple Syrup
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 bananas, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 cup maple syrup

1. Place banana and cream cheese in a medium sized bowl. Mash together with a fork. Add the granulated sugar and stir with a spoon until combined.
  2. Slice your bread into 1” slices (I got 12 total slices from my two boules). Spread banana mixture on half of the slices, and top with the remaining bread to make sandwiches. Slice into chunks (I cut the sandwiches longwise and then into small chunks, about 10 total per sandwich).
  3. Spray a 9”x13” pan with cooking spray. Place bread into pan in an even layer. If you happened to have any banana mixture left over, just pour it over the top.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk your eggs. Add half-and-half, milk, brown sugar, salt and vanilla and whisk until everything is mixed. Pour over bread in pan. Press down with your hands as needed to make sure the egg mixture gets over all the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
  5. Place topping ingredients in a small baggie, so it's ready for you the next morning.
  6. When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove french toast from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle topping over the top and bake for about 50 minutes. You want it to be hot all the way through, and the bread to be browned on the top and smooshy in the middle, but not raw. It may take up to 60 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 before scooping.
  7. To make the syrup: melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced bananas and brown sugar and cook for 1 minute. Add maple syrup and cook for 30 seconds, remove from heat. Pour into a blender and blend until smooth. (Be sure to leave the lid askew on your blender when blending hot liquid or it will explode!) Pour into a jar or tupperware container and cool. Serve with pancakes and store in refrigerator.

And the best part is I only used two boules, so I had one left over. Excuse me, I’ll be on my deserted island eating my weight in bread.

Enjoy!

Connect with Ecce Panis:
Walmart / Get a Coupon!

Check out my shopping experience at Walmart here.

Other yummy breakfasts:

Peanut Butter Muffins stuffed with Mini Cadbury Eggs

Peanut-Butter-Cadbury-Muffins03-1words

Carrot Cake Coffee Cake

carrot-cake-coffee-cake

Apple Cake with Streusel by Nifty Thrifty Things
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls by The Spiffy Cookie
Carrot Cake Monkey Bread by Something Swanky
Overnight French Toast Souffle by Chef in Training

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Ecce Panis #EccePanis #cbias #SocialFabric All opinions are 100% my own.

81 Responses to “Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast #EccePanis”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm (#)

I love overnight bakes. So nice to have waiting for you. But the Banana Maple Syrup …now THAT takes the cake on this one :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 25th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Yes, Averie, I agree. That syrup…there are no words. Seriously.

2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on March 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm (#)

Sooo decadent and delicious (and easy!)! Amazing!

3. Heather @ French Press posted on March 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm (#)

holy crap Dorothy – this looks freakin amazing!! and I LOVE the make ahead meals

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 25th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Me too! I think I’m in looooove with overnight French Toast!

4. Summer @ mallowandco posted on March 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm (#)

I loooveeee anything with bananas, Love. I think I’m going to have to make this for easter morning! Can you please stop posting such delicious looking treats?!? ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 25th, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Never! :) I hope you enjoy it, it’s sweet breakfast food to the max!

6. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on March 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm (#)

I want breakfast NOW! This looks so good! I actually almost made bananas foster cinnamon rolls this weekend but didn’t have enough bananas on hand! I have made Bananas Foster bread pudding before and I made a banana/toffee glaze and it was spectacular so I am sure this banana maple syrup is out of this world!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 25th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Toffee. YUM! I love banana in everything. Thanks Elizabeth!

7. Pingback: Best Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe - Something Swanky

8. Mom posted on March 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm (#)

Fabulous, as usual. Breakfast, you say. It was great for a mid morning snack…and I might just have to eat the rest as late night TV snack!!!
    Thanks again,
    Mom

9. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on March 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

Banana Syrup?! What a brilliant idea. And overnight casseroles are my ideal breakfast for lazy mornings.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 6:51 am

It’s da’ bomb syrum Nicole! :) Thanks!

10. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on March 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm (#)

Yum! Thanks for including a link to my cinnamon rolls!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 6:50 am

You’re welcome Erin! SO good!

11. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on March 25, 2013 at 11:35 pm (#)

I love this stuffed French toast! You’re so prepared for Easter morning breakfast! Please invite me!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thanks Julia! I’d love for you to come. :)

12. Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats posted on March 26, 2013 at 5:31 am (#)

Dorothy, this french toast looks amazing and moist! Yum.. Loved that you use hazelnut flavoring and cream cheese in this. Never would have thought of the hazelnut. Thanks for the recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks Krista! It adds a great flavor!

13. Cookin Canuck posted on March 26, 2013 at 5:50 am (#)

This would be perfect for Easter/Christmas/any morning. I love the make-ahead factor and the banana flavor!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks so much! I love the make-ahead idea SO much. :)

14. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on March 26, 2013 at 7:16 am (#)

I keep seeing overnight french toast. I have so got to try this. It would be great for any brunch!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It’s perfect because all the work is the night before!

15. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on March 26, 2013 at 7:20 am (#)

Kevin and I made overnight french toast over the weekend for brunch! Now only if I made this syrup to go along with it. It sounds phenomenal Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I love overnight french toast now! And that syrup – OMG Sally. :)

16. carrian posted on March 26, 2013 at 8:34 am (#)

That syrup sounds amazing! And I’m totally with you, holidays are not as relaxing as they used to be. I’ve totally started doing overnight things and day ahead prep so I’m not stuck ni the kitchen.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Totally makes life easier! Thanks Carrian!

17. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) posted on March 26, 2013 at 9:35 am (#)

I love how decadent this looks. I could eat this french toast every day.

18. Shannon @ Searching For Dessert posted on March 26, 2013 at 10:32 am (#)

I love stuffed french toast and bananas so this is a perfect combination!

19. Lindsay@Life, Live and Sugar posted on March 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm (#)

I love overnight french toast recipes and I LOVE bananas! I want to jump right into that jar of banana maple syrup and never come out! This sounds delicious!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Yes, I wanted to swim in it Lindsay! Thanks so much!

20. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on March 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm (#)

Want!

Seriously, overnight french toast is my savior on holiday mornings…and this version?? Dorothy, you’ve outdone yourself on this one. Love it (awesome pics, too!).

21. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on March 26, 2013 at 1:47 pm (#)

Whoever invented overnight french toast was a genius! You took a wonderful thing and made it spectacularly over the top … yeah!

22. Louise@cakeandcalico.com posted on March 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm (#)

This looks a lot like a really banana-y, rich version of what we Brits call bread and butter pudding. We tend to sweeten it up so the sugar on top crackles but your banana syrup sounds divine. I love the idea of having this for breakfast – to heck with the guests!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Yes! Keep it all for yourself, it’s what I would do. ;) Thanks Louise!

23. Pingback: 53 Sweet Easter Ideas - Crazy for Crust

24. Julie posted on March 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm (#)

I’m loving this delicious breakfast recipe, Dorothy!

25. Kim Beaulieu posted on March 26, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

Eek, I could totally go for this right now and it’s almost bed time. Super yummy, I would love this for mothers day brunch.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I wish I could share it. I still have some in my fridge. They are calling the forklift tomorrow to get me out of my house. ;)

26. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on March 27, 2013 at 4:47 am (#)

I don’t like to be in the kitchen slaving away first thing in the morning…I am so not a morning person and nothing would come out right I’m sure! Overnight french toast bake to the rescue!!! My family will be so glad they don’t have to have cold cereal anymore! LOL!!! Your pics look awesome BTW!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 27th, 2013 at 6:49 am

Thanks Jocelyn! You’ll have to make some crazy candy version. I can already see it…. :)

27. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on March 27, 2013 at 6:17 am (#)

Gosh that looks so incredible. Now this is a french toast to wake up to!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 27th, 2013 at 6:48 am

Totally! I’ve woken up to it several mornings now… :)

28. Sara @ The Football Wife posted on March 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm (#)

First, your pictures are so amazing that I can think I can smell your french toast!! Looks amazing!

29. Kristin posted on March 27, 2013 at 11:34 pm (#)

I think I would just drink that syrup! I should start making French toast again. It was the first thing I learned to cook

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 28th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I almost did!! :) (Drink the syrup, that is.)

30. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on March 28, 2013 at 4:33 am (#)

Bring me a fork and the whole pan! Of course my food blogger brain is thinking… Nutella!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 28th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thank you Brianne! Nutella is good for me!

31. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on March 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm (#)

This looks incredible! I have never done an overnight dish before but I am totally intrigued!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I was a little nervous, but it worked great! And it was so easy the next morning!

32. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on March 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm (#)

This would be so perfect for breakfast tomorrow (Easter morning) but I will have to adapt the recipe because I don’t have any bananas and the stores are closed!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 31st, 2013 at 7:15 am

Ugh, I know. I need to go shopping in a bad way, since we just got home from our trip. :) Thanks Tonia!

33. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on March 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm (#)

I love baked french toast. so good and easy! Thanks so much for joining me at Two-Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. I hope to see ya again tomorrow night.

34. Alicia posted on March 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm (#)

Your photography skills are mad lady! You make me want to rush to my kitchen to make this ASAP:)

35. Pingback: What’s In Your Kitchen Wednesday

36. Pingback: Robowarium

37. Kristin Wheeler (Mama Luvs Books) posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:46 am (#)

Wow! That looks delicious and a perfect breakfast treat for the entire family!

38. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on April 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

Oh, how delicious does that look? Pinned!

39. Laura posted on May 1, 2013 at 9:00 am (#)

OMG, I made this for a brunch I held this weekend and it was amazing! I can’t wait to make it again. Thank you for sharing it. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’m glad you liked it! Thank you so much for letting me know. :)

40. Pingback: I made this! | Chasing the Blackwood Marathon

41. Pingback: Nutella Banana French Toast | wine & glue

42. Pingback: Over 50 French Toast Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats

43. Sherri Harnock posted on February 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm (#)

Just wanted to let you know that I made this, this past weekend for a “PJs and Olympic hockey” party. A bunch of us got together to watch the gold medal game Sunday morning (YEAH CANADA!) and we brought various breakfast type dishes to share. I had to doctor it a little though. I didnt have any cream cheese or bread. Soooo I made a wet paneer and used blueberry bagels! ! I couldn’t believe it actually turned out!! It was delicious and everyone ranted about it! I can’t wait to actually make it the right way! I can’t even IMAGINE how good that will taste!!
    Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I love that you used bagels. What an amazing idea!

44. Pingback: 15 Fabulous Make-Ahead Spring Brunch Bakes

45. Jennifer posted on July 30, 2014 at 1:45 pm (#)

There’s no question about this, I am making this first for my parents then for my bf(future husband) :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Enjoy! I loved loved loved that syrup!