Aug 12

Chocolate Twist Doughnuts with Avocado Cream Filling

So I made you some chocolate twist doughnuts.

And I filled them with Avocado Whipped Cream.

Are you surprised?

Seriously, my addiction to avocados has become a joke in my family. My husband sees me cutting it and chortles “ha ha ha, I’m soooooo surprised we’re having avocado for dinner!”

I don’t know what I’m going to do when summer is over. Mortgage my house to feed my addiction, I guess.

Wilton generously sent me this Doughnut Twist pan. I was so excited to get my hot little hands on it. Have you seen it? It makes huge doughnuts.

Or is it donut? I really have no idea. Pardon me while I switch between the two. Call me a flip-flopper.

Like most Wilton pans, this one proved itself. A little cooking spray and bam, they popped right out. They were pretty, even nekkid.

I really think nothing is better than a chocolate glaze. What do you think?

And, well, avocado and chocolate are like, BFFs.

Did I mention that I made avocado whipped cream?

I can’t wait to put it on ice cream.

Because I’m weird.

Or maybe those of you who blanche at the thought of avocado whipped cream are weird?

Hmmmm…

Wilton also sent me a bunch of fun sprinkles. I love sprinkles. I think life would be more fun if everyone walked around with sprinkles in their pockets. I want a sprinkle purse.

Did you know they make edible glitter sprinkles? And rainbow chip? I made a few of each.

Jordan was only allowed half a doughnut a day (these babies are large and in charge). She tasted half of each. To sprinkle taste test.

She liked the glitter ones best.

Me, I’m old fashioned. I like jimmies. Rainbow colored, of course. Rainbows and sprinkles could seriously make the world a better place, don’t you think?

Chocolate Twist Doughnuts with Avocado Cream Filling

For the Doughnuts
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (full fat is best)
  • For the Avocado Cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • For the Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Make the Doughnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray Doughnut Twist Pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until nearly combined. Add buttermilk and remaining dry ingredients, mixing until incorporated. Do not overmix!
  4. Fill doughnut cavities 2/3 full. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The original instructions said 18-20 minutes, but mine were a little over done at 15.) Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
  5. Make the Avocado Cream
  6. Add cold heavy cream and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar to a large bowl. Whip until stiff peaks form.
  7. In a separate bowl, mix avocado, lime juice, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer until most lumps are gone. Fold into whipped cream.
  8. I filled my doughnuts using a pastry bag and Wilton tip #230. Pipe filling into both ends of the doughnut. (In mine, the center didn’t get filled, so I suggest poking the tip in to the center of one side to fill the center.)
  9. Make the Glaze
  10. Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. Frost tops of doughnuts and top with sprinkles, as desired. Glaze will dry in 10-15 minutes. Store in refrigerator. Avocado filling will remain green for at least 3 days if kept in a sealed container.?

(Doughnut and Glaze recipe adapted from Wilton)

Wilton generously sent me the pan and sprinkles to try for free. All opinions are my own! Want to win a Doughnut Twist Pan? Come back tomorrow!

Enjoy!

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayCast Party WednesdaySweet Treats ThursdayChic-and-CraftyTastetastic ThursdaySweet Tooth FridayI’m Lovin’ it FridaysSweets for a SaturdayA Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluckand all of these too!

55 Responses to “Chocolate Twist Doughnuts with Avocado Cream Filling”

1. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

I am really curious how you got Wilton to send you free stuff? That donut pan could be lots of fun! :0)

2. Kaylee posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

Not a huge fan of avocado but I love me some wilton doughnut pans! Thanks for showing me one more pan to add to my collection!

3. Jocelyn posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#)

I just got that pan too, but I haven’t had time to play yet!!! I am seriously in love with these donuts…but you knew I would!!! Chocolate and avocado is an awesome combo!!! And rainbow sprinkles are my fav too:-)

4. Michelle posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#)

Wow! Dying over here!

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm (#)

love the filling & the donut pan – and how you got them filled so neatly! great work!

avocados are the plant equivalent of butter – rich, creamy, fab

6. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm (#)

I *still* have yet to try this whole avocado dessert craze which probably will end our friendship soon for you if I don’t get on board, haha. Of course jimmies make the world a better place–sprinkles are awesome! Try saying sprinkles as angrily as you can. You just can’t. It’s SPRINKLES, DAMMIT. Sprinkles rock, and so do these twisty awesome donuts.

7. Pint Sized Baker posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm (#)

I love the donuts, but the avocado?? Make mine a plain Jane version please. Simple chocolate glaze and sprinkles will do fine, thank you. So sorry, but I just don’t think you’ll convince me that veggies are supposed to be dessert.

8. Back for Seconds posted on August 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm (#)

I love the rainbow chips mmmm. I love that you put avacados inside chocolate donuts. They are two of my favorite things so it’s gotta be good! Oh, and I will fight you for a sprinkle purse! :)

9. Janine (sugarkissed.net) posted on August 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm (#)

Interesting flavor combo. I am definitely intrigued. Would you say the avcafor and chocolate are BFFs the way that peanut butter and chocolate are… cause then I’m sold on the idea!

10. Something Swanky posted on August 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm (#)

I want to trust you… but this scares me a little. You’ll have to bake some up for me at Christmas!!

11. Spencer posted on August 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm (#)

How good do they look? I reckon I could eat about 100 of them!

12. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 13, 2012 at 5:18 am (#)

I happen to love rainbow jimmies myself. And donuts. And avocados. Yep, I think I would love this.

13. Carrie Burrill posted on August 13, 2012 at 5:57 am (#)

You are my go to for avocado inspiration! And I need to get my hands on this pan!

14. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on August 13, 2012 at 6:44 am (#)

well I’m not sure I would have thought avocado with chocolate but there you be! It looks great! and I may need to get that pan :)

15. Susan posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:45 am (#)

I have that pan! Now, you need Tip#230–which is what pastry chefs use to fill centers of eclairs, etc. The combination sounds wonderful and I know what you mean about mortgaging the house to buy avocados when summer is over. Here in the PNW, they’re as much as $1.50 a piece, which is outrageous. When I lived in California, my BFF’s dad had two big trees and the bounty was endless–can you imagine the recipes we came up with. You need to go to the Avocado Festival in Carpinteria, CA; all I’m saying is Yum!!

16. Angela posted on August 13, 2012 at 8:16 am (#)

uhhh….I’m sorry I just can’t hang with you there. Green ooze coming out the end of my donut would scare me. But “Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it”, right? And I haven’t, so I guess I’d just have to close my eyes to get over the color, ha.

17. Elizabeth Smith posted on August 13, 2012 at 8:30 am (#)

I admit I’m incredibly curious to try something like this! I’ve never given much thought to Avocados as anything other than a savory food–delicious as they are, I usually put them in chicken sandwiches and guacamole. I will have to find a way to obtain one of these doughnut (donut? I don’t know either!) pans and give them a shot!

18. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 am (#)

I love that donut pan! It’s adorable! The bigger the donuts, the better in my opinion. Oh and any donuts that are filled with a cream or jam are my favorite. Obviously!

Never would have thought to pair a chocolate donut with avocado cream! Dorothy, that is so interesting! I love everything about these, esp those sprinkles! I want a sprinkle purse!

19. Ellen posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:05 am (#)

I’ll be right over! I would really, really, really like to try that pan…Just imagine the possibilities! Great combo of flavors and I may just have to give this avocado cream or frosting a try. Maybe with some tequila or triple sec? :)

20. JulieD posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:43 am (#)

wow, these look amazing!

21. Sweet Bella Roos posted on August 13, 2012 at 11:11 am (#)

Haha ok you might be a little out of control with the avocados… but I’m totally with you on the sprinkles. I’ve been known to put sprinkles on my pb&j sandwiches… haha!

22. Jacqueline posted on August 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm (#)

You are so creative! The green looks just beautiful next to the chocolate brown…I’m not sure what it would taste like, but Ellen just won me over with her zucchini and chocolate combo, so I know that chocolate CAN be delicious paired with something green :) Congrats on the SacConnect shout out on Facebook!

23. Jen @ Jens Favorite Cookies posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm (#)

So, my doctor said I should eat more avocado. And I said I should eat more chocolate. Best of both worlds, don’t you think?! This looks so fun!

24. Winnie posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm (#)

It looks great but sounds quite (a lot) weird.
    I’ve made Avocado brioche – http://www.winnish.net/2011/08/blog-post_24.html
    and as you – I loooooooove avocado
    I’m pinning this, I think I’d like to try it

25. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm (#)

That Wilton doughnut pan looks awesome and so not doughnut-ish, lol. I’m intrigued with the avocado flavour combo. But I can’t comment because, [don’t faint] I’ve never tried it. [are you still upright?] I wish Wilton would send me stuff!

They do look amazing and I will have to try them. I’m up for anything sweet. And the sprinkles make them more happier than they were already!

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

26. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm (#)

Haha! :)

27. Heather Kinnaird posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm (#)

I want a Wilton pan! my vote would be for the glitter – everything looks pretty when it sparkles:) I guess I’ll have to try sweet avocados, all the cool kids are doing it

28. baking.serendipity posted on August 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm (#)

I have been all over avocados this summer too, and love it filling these doughnuts! Seriously…love. Avocado paired with chocolate is definitely a new favorite.

29. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on August 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm (#)

Okay, totally loving that twist donut pan! And I never would have thought to pair avocados with a donut, but I bet the chocolate makes a wonderful pairing!!

30. Kristin posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#)

The doughnut looks amazing. It really does and I want one right now. But the avocado filling kinda weirds me out. Is it really tasty? Because it looks like it’d taste like spinach. I’ll take your word for it, as you’ve not steered me wrong yet :)

31. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on August 14, 2012 at 7:06 am (#)

Avocado whipped cream? What an amazing idea! And I can’t get enough of sprinkles either. I’ve never seen edible glitter before – I’ll have to get my hands on some!

32. Dawn @ DJs Sugar Shack posted on August 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm (#)

Ohhhh I want one of those pans. I love avocados but I’ve never paired them with sweets. I thInk Im going to have to give it a shot.

33. Shirley posted on August 21, 2012 at 10:32 am (#)

I want that pan! I’ve resisted getting a doughnut pan so far, but cute photos like these weaken my willpower. I’ve never thought of putting chocolate and avocado together, but now I want to try it!

34. Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com posted on August 23, 2012 at 10:13 am (#)

I would have never thought to combine avocado with chocolate…sounds SO good! Thanks for linking up!

35. Pingback: Ghoulishly Green Halloween | Crazy for Crust

36. Pingback: Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches - Crazy for Crust

37. Pingback: Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips - Crazy for Crust

38. Mary. posted on June 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm (#)

Summer’s around the corner! Did you know, you can make this Avocado whipped cream concoction, into an ice cream? Just freeze it! (deja vu!) I posted this comment on here before… ;-) please re-post this recipe as an ice cream version (no machine Required.)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 12th, 2013 at 7:22 am

My friend Jocelyn, over at Inside BruCrew Life has made that version!

39. Mary. posted on June 12, 2013 at 9:49 am (#)

I know! But you can do better, by omitting the chocolate chips, and adding an extra avocado. (in her recipe) It would come out better, Ya know.

40. Pingback: Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat} - Crazy for Crust

41. Pingback: Top 3 ways to think outside the guac - IBX Insights