Mar 25

Baby Chicks

Last year, I posted Baby Peeps.

Obviously, my creative apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Because this year I made Baby Chicks.

I was particularly proud of the Baby Peeps recipe last year, because it was the first recipe to ever get featured by any party. Allison, from Alli ‘n Sons featured it after a Sweet Tooth Friday linky. She stumbled it and got so many hits. I was smiling for days.

I knew I wanted to stuff eggs with something again. I was going to do a filling. But then I thought about those Mini Nutter Butters I still had in my pantry from making this and this.

And I thought, hmmm. Those kinda look like baby chicks. (If baby chicks are small, round, and filled with peanut butter.)

Then I asked myself, what should I do with baby chicks?

Well, stuff them in eggs, of course.

First, you need to make your baby chicks. Dip your Nutters (or mini Oreos) in yellow candy melts. Let them harden, then melt some orange candy melts and pipe on beaks.

Then pipe some feet and stand your chick up on them.

Then you need to make your eggs. I use a mold I bought at An Occasional Chocolate, but I saw some silicone ones at Target last week.

Spread around your chocolate and let it harden.

Once you have all your shells, put your chicks inside.

Add some more candy around the edges.

And seal them up. (I wonder if they feel like they’re in a coffin? That’s kinda cruel. Must go liberate the ones in the fridge…)

So now I guess that stuffing food animals in eggs at Easter is my thing.

I hope you don’t mind.

Maybe next year I’ll stuff a cat in there. You know, to throw you off course.

Baby Chicks
by Crazy for Crust
Baby Chicks

• Mini Nutter Butters or Mini Oreos
  • Yellow mandy melts
  • Orange candy melts
  • White and/or pink candy melts
  • Black food writer

To Make the Chicks
  1. Melt the yellow candy melts according to package directions. (If the candy is too thick, stir in a little shortening or vegetable oil to thin.) Dip the mini cookies into the candy and tap off the excess. Lay on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and chill to harden.
  2. Melt a small amount of orange candy melts and place them in a small squeeze bottle or pastry bag. (I fitted my squeeze bottle with a #2 tip for this step.) Make triangle beaks on each chick and let harden. To make the feet, pipe two triangles about 1/4" apart on waxed paper. Connect the fat ends of the triangles with a line of orange candy. Place the cookie chick standing up on top of the piped feet and let harden. Draw dots for eyes.
  3. To make the Eggs
  4. Melt your white (or pink or whatever color eggs you want) candy melts. Place a spoonful in each mold and use the spoon to swipe the candy up the sides of the mold so the egg is covered. Chill to harden. Place the extra melted candy in a squeeze bottle or pastry bag fitted with a #1 or a #2 tip.
  5. Pop the egg shells out of your mold (careful now!). Place a chick in the bottom half of the mold. Pipe melted candy around the edge of the shell and place the top half on top. Fill in any holes with melted candy and let harden. Decorate tops as desired.
6020837

Enjoy!

Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

43 Responses to “Baby Chicks”

1. Chandra Wood posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm (#)

Those are so intricate and cute! My nieces and nephews would love them! I don’t think I could make them though, they would melt in my hands!

tayloandchandra.blogspot.com

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 26th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

That’s the benefit of always being cold – no melting chocolate! :) Thanks for reading!

2. Jacqueline posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm (#)

These are so cute!! I think I would be too intimidated by the multiple stages of melting and molding and shaping and dipping, but you made it sound easy :) Lovely Easter idea!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 26th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Jacqueline! It’s definitely a process, but worth it in the end. :) Have a great night!

3. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm (#)

These are just about the most adorable things I’ve ever seen! You also have waaaaaaaaay more patience than me–I would have eaten them all before I ever got them done. I’m all for liberating those chicks!

4. Kristin@gratefulbelly.com posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm (#)

These are REALLY cute!

5. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm (#)

You know I love these little guys…like a mini version of my chick cupcakes! Inside a chocolate egg! Awesomeness!

6. Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment posted on March 25, 2012 at 6:59 pm (#)

Adorable!! I gotta check out the peeps from last year!!

7. Jocelyn posted on March 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm (#)

Those are absolutely way too cute!!!! Love that you stuffed them into a coffin…I mean shell:-)

8. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm (#)

So cute!! And totally ingenious of you!

9. Hayley posted on March 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#)

Um, cats DO come from eggs, so joke’s on you. DUH :)
    And these are SO stinkin’ cute. I have always been baffled by the concept of chocolate eggs with hollow centers and just chalked it up to elf-magic or something in the depths of chocolate factories. Or Oompa Loompas; whichever can be purchased at a large quantity for a low price. Anywho, these chicks are ADORABLE. What a cute idea. I kind of want to be cruel and eat a bunch but I’m still hung up on your other treat you gave me. Mmm!!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 26th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I know, hollow centers? What cheapskates the candy makers are! I’m all about stuffing that hollow with something. Why not more candy???

10. Aimee posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:04 am (#)

Adorable!!!

11. Sue Alexander posted on March 26, 2012 at 5:26 am (#)

so cute! And you should so do a cat in a pumpkin for halloween, it could be your thing;p

12. Julie posted on March 26, 2012 at 6:59 am (#)

Those are SO CUTE!!!!

13. Ellen posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:01 am (#)

These look amazing! If my grandson lived nearby, I would probably try to make them. They seem creatively over my head… hahaha!

Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I’m your newest follower and look forward to finding more terrific ideas.

14. Cindy posted on March 26, 2012 at 7:48 am (#)

Looks like a project my grand kids would love. Too cute.

15. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on March 26, 2012 at 10:50 am (#)

these are too cute!

16. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen posted on March 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm (#)

Stickin’ cute! You rock! So, with that being said, I want to tell you I will be awarding you the Versatile Blogger award today on our blog. :) Have a great week friend! Again, these are too cute!

17. Winnie posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm (#)

These are very cute and adorable
    Your are soooooooooo creative

18. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy, These are Fantastic (with a capital F!)! Since I’m ill and can’t/won’t bake with my germies lurking that I featured your cookies on my blog (links included n’ all)

Hope that’s OK?

19. Cara @ The Boys Made Me Do It posted on March 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm (#)

These are so stinkin cute!!

20. Sue posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm (#)

Scrolling down, these tiny chicks just got cuter and cuter! I love that they stand up too:)

21. Amy posted on March 27, 2012 at 12:15 am (#)

These are darlings! They are absolutely too adorable. :) LOL…stuff them the the eggs, I think they are super festive.

22. Nicola posted on March 27, 2012 at 2:00 am (#)

Oh my! These are unbelievably adorable – I’ve got to give them a go this weekend!

23. Jenny Melrose posted on March 27, 2012 at 5:47 am (#)

O my cuteness! You are so stinkin creative. Love them!

• Jenny Melrose replied on April 1st, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

24. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love posted on March 27, 2012 at 9:38 am (#)

These are too cute Dorothy! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

25. Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen posted on March 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm (#)

So cute!!! especially the last pic of the chick carrying the shell!

26. Christine posted on March 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm (#)

Oh my word… These look amazing!!!! I can only find white candy melt here! But there’s a Michael’s opening soon.. so maybe they’ll have COLORS!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

27. Debbie posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm (#)

Adorable!! And so clever…love your little chicks! I’ll be interested in seeing how you pull off the cat next year. ;)

28. Michelle | Creative Food posted on March 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm (#)

I love your baby chicks!!! They are so cute!

29. Our Delightful Home posted on April 2, 2012 at 5:20 am (#)

Thank You so much for stopping by ” Show Me What You Got Tuesday’s at http://www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful

30. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on April 4, 2012 at 7:20 am (#)

You’re just a genius! Love these! You’re being featured tonight at Mom On Timeout! Thanks for sharing!

31. moonlake posted on March 27, 2014 at 8:15 am (#)

Very cute. Love these.