Jun 16

Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (Cooking With Kids)

This Sunday is Father’s Day. So I thought, for this week’s installment of Cooking With Kids, that I should have Jordan help me make something for her daddy. I immediately thought about these peanut butter cookies, the easiest ones one the planet.

Let me tell you something about my husband, Mel. He loves peanut butter. LOVES. I think he loves it more than most things. I have to hide my multiple-jar stash of peanut butter, unless he’s being super conscious of his WW points (and sometimes even then). Sometimes I will open a new jar to make a PB&J for Jordan and then, a few days later, go to make another one and the jar will be almost empty. It’s like burglars come in the night and eat my peanut butter because I never see my husband eat it. But, unless my dog has learned to unscrew jars (I wouldn’t put it past her), my husband is usually the culprit.

He also loves ice cream. He eats it every night, in the form of a Skinny Cow cup. So, when brainstorming ideas for this dessert, I decided to marry his two favorite things into one delicious dessert: Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. And I used fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt. It’s not a Skinny Cow cup, but at least its portioned.

Jordan loved helping me with these. I scooped out the ice cream onto the bottom cookie and let her place the top cookie and squish it down. But I thought they needed something else.

The ice cream sandwiches just seemed boring. So I thought sprinkles or chocolate chips would be a good addition to make them pop. Guess which one Jordan chose?

The chocolate chips, of course. Girl after my own heart. The hardest part for her was when I told her she needs to wait until Sunday to eat one. Although I might be nice and let her have one tonight. ‘Cuz I’m sweet like that.

The hardest part (for me) about doing this with Jordan was being fast. Because kids just…aren’t. Ice cream melts. It tends to melt more when you handle it. And it makes it a tad chaotic when you’re trying work with ice cream, be fast, help the kid, and take photos. But it was fun anyway. (And, without the photo taking, it would have been a lot easier.)

Here’s another thing about my husband: he’s an awesome dad. Jordan adores him (and so do I). The first thing she asks him in the morning is to play with her. When he can, he does. He’s a great player. They lock themselves in her room and play princesses. He tells her stories. Ones he makes up. He takes her places every weekend for “daddy-daughter” time. Once in awhile he even takes her to his mom or dad’s for the weekend (without me!) I am so happy that they have such a great relationship. I often feel like the odd-man out when we’re all together. And that’s okay. Because he is her hero.

And he’s mine too.

I love you sweetie! Happy Father’s Day to the best husband in the whole world.

Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Printer-Friendly Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
Ice Cream (any flavor you like)
Sprinkles or Mini Chocolate Chips
Directions:
1.    Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2.    Mix the peanut butter, egg, and sugar in a large bowl by hand until blended.
3.    Scoop uniform balls of dough onto your cookie sheets (I used a 2 tablespoon scoop). Fill a small bowl with water. Dip a fork in the water and press the cookies down, creating a criss-cross pattern. Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cool completely.
4.    To make the ice cream sandwiches, place a cookie upside down and top it with a scoop of ice cream. Place a second cookie on the top and squish it down a little. Roll the sandwiches in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips and freeze immediately.
Yield: makes about 6 ice cream sandwiches (depending on size)

This recipe is linked with:

Button
Joy of Desserts
Cast Party Wednesday

16 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (Cooking With Kids)”

1. The Better Baker posted on June 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm (#)

What a sweet sweet post! The content…and the recipe too. And it’s healthy even! My kind of treat for sure. Amazing idea – so glad you shared. And Happy Father’s day to the sweet daddy of your daughter.

2. Marnie posted on June 16, 2011 at 6:59 pm (#)

You had me at hello…….
    Visiting from Chic & Crafty party. Have a great weekend. Following you.
    x Marnie

3. Steph posted on June 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm (#)

These look SOOO good! Following on GFC and Twitter now too! I want to post a link back to this on my craft/recipe page, but want to put one of your pictures with it! Let me know if that’s ok!
    Thanks!!!
    Steph

4. Dorothy posted on June 17, 2011 at 7:00 am (#)

@Marnie
    Thanks! Anything with “peanut butter” always catches my eye too. Thanks for reading!
    Dorothy

5. Shore Girl posted on June 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm (#)

What a fun and delicous looking treat!

6. Dorothy posted on June 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm (#)
  7. Allison @ Alli 'n Son posted on June 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm (#)

I made something similar last year, but they didn’t turn out nearly as nice as yours. I think I need to get your recipe a try next time.

Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday!

8. Kim McCallie posted on June 18, 2011 at 9:13 am (#)

So cool! Another winner coming from your kitchen. I’d like to invite you to share this on A Well-Seasoned Life’s Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

9. Katie @ This Chick Cooks posted on June 18, 2011 at 6:53 pm (#)

What a great treat for your husband. It is always nice to involve the kids :)

10. Joy @ Joy Of Desserts posted on June 20, 2011 at 7:22 pm (#)

That is so wonderful, both the treat and the special father/daughter bond. Thank you for participating in Joy of Desserts. :-)

11. ladybehindthecurtain.com posted on June 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe with us. I hope you will come over tomorrow and share more of your delicious recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday. http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    I hope to see you there!

12. Christy posted on June 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm (#)

That looks so good-I can’t wait to make them! :) ~From a fellow PB lover!

13. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on June 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm (#)

@Christy
    Yes, they were good. Notice my past tense “were”. They didn’t last long!
    Thanks for reading!

14. Anna ~ Random Handprints posted on June 24, 2011 at 6:48 am (#)

those sound delicious – i am a sucker for anything pb related.

and happy (belated) father’s day!

15. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on June 24, 2011 at 7:06 am (#)

@Anna ~ Random Handprints
    Me too! And these cookies are SO peanutty. Thanks for reading!

16. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Ice Creamed