Aug 02

My Cookbook: Dessert Mash-Ups

{Wow, this post is way harder to write than I originally thought it would be. Who would have thought I’d have trouble talking about myself?}

Tap, tap, tap. Is this thing on?

I have an extra special announcement today. Something I’ve been waiting to “officially” share for a very long time:

My cookbook, Dessert Mash-Ups: Tasty Two in One Treats is now available for PRE-SALE!

Dessert_Mash-Up_FrontCoverSMALL

It’s like I had a baby, but instead of it being a baby, it’s a book. With recipes, pictures, and lots and lots of my sweat and tears.

I’m so excited to finally talk all about what’s inside!

If you’ve lived anywhere outside of a rock lately, you’ll have heard about a food mash-up. Taking two foods and putting them together. Frankenfood, so to speak.

A dessert mash-up? Is the best kind of food mash-up. It’s all sweet: two kinds of desserts put into one delicious hybrid.

In other words, pretty much what I do here every single day.

It’s really a topic made for me, don’t you think? And I hope that you’re going to love all the recipes in the book. Want to see a sneak peak?

You know you do!

There are 50 mouth-watering dessert mash-up recipes to choose from – all with photos taken by yours truly. Cheesecake with cookies, pie with candy, cookies with pie, cheesecake with brownies, cake with breakfast and so many more combinations that will make you want to get in your kitchen.

The book is broken into sections:

• Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cookies, Brownies, and Bars
  • Pie
  • Cake and Cheesecake
  • Sweet Dips
  • Holiday Recipes

Each category is filled with a list of desserts that are two-in-one like:

Brownie Layer Cake (1 of 2)

Death by Chocolate Brownie Layer Cake. Yup, it’s like it sounds. Layers of brownie “cake”, filled with chocolate ganache and topped with chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Toffee Bark (2 of 2)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Toffee Bark. This is one of my favorite recipes in the book – and it’s going to be yours too. Think Christmas Crack made with chocolate chip cookies for the base!

Peanut Butter Cookie Fondue (3 of 3)

Peanut Butter Cookie Fondue. Y’all know my love of peanut butter. There’s no shortage of PB recipes in the book and this is one of my favorites. Perfect for any party (of 1 or many, I won’t judge), it tastes like a melted peanut butter cookie!

Smorescake (4 of 9)

S’morescake. Another one of my favorites, because it has a crust. This is the mash-up between a s’more, a rich flour-less chocolate cake, and a pie. To. Die. For.

Are you drooling yet?

And if all that wasn’t enough, you’ll find a flavor for every taste:

• Lemon (of course)
  • Strawberry
  • Mint
  • Chocolate
  • Vanilla
  • Almond Joy
  • Cookie Dough
  • Coconut
  • Cake Batter
  • Rocky Road
  • Apple Pie
  • Pumpkin
  • Turtle
  • and so many more!

Dessert Mash-Ups: Tasty Two-in-One Treats comes out in mid-September but it’s available for pre-order right now! You can order it at Amazon or at Barnes and Noble and it’ll be shipped once it officially releases.

Dessert_Mash-Up_BackCoverSMALL

I can’t write this post without a thank you to all of you. Without your support, comments, and readership, I wouldn’t have been able to write this book. Heck, without this blog, I wouldn’t have even known I wanted to write a book.

Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

So, thank you. For reading, for commenting, for pinning, and for following along. I heart you all and I’m so appreciative that I have all of you in my life – even if it is just a little tiny corner of the internet.

And stay tuned. Over the next couple of months I expect to have lots more to say about this cookbook. There will be giveaways and more in depth looks at what’s inside. Along with a new site design and my blog’s 4th birthday, September is going to be a rockstar month. (Or one in which I drink lots of wine. Whatever.)

Thank you for reading! Oh, and did I mention you could pre-order the book now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble?

Good, I didn’t want to forget that part. :)

123 Responses to “My Cookbook: Dessert Mash-Ups”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 2, 2014 at 3:04 am (#)

Just ordered it! :) CONGRATS!!!! I had a feeling this announcement was coming and I am thrilled for you. And let me just say that this book is my kinda book! I love a bazillion things going on in desserts with textures and flavors so I know I will love this! I cannot wait to see what you made!

I remember making my 1st announcement and it was way harder than I thought. I have to do it again soon :) Mine is Oct 6th. I gotcha beat by 10 days :) CONGRATS DOROTHY!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:59 am

Thank you Averie! I’m totally freaked out, lol. :) I can’t wait for yours!!

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on August 2, 2014 at 3:50 am (#)

Congrats, Dorothy, this is so exciting! I can’t wait to see your book!!! I already want that cookie/toffee dessert!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thank you Lauren!! I want it too.

3. Librarian Lavender posted on August 2, 2014 at 4:15 am (#)

Congratulations, that is fabulous! I can’t wait to see your cookbook! Your deserts look delicious, so I really want to have your book :).

4. Chichi posted on August 2, 2014 at 4:33 am (#)

Congratulations Dorothy. Can’t wait to get a copy of your book

5. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:16 am (#)

How exciting! Can’t wait to get it!!

6. Erica @ The Crumby Cupcake posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:25 am (#)

Suuuuuper excited about this book!! Preorder done! :) I’m so happy for you!

7. meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:36 am (#)

Ohhhh that chocolate cake looks absolutely amazing!

8. How to Philosophize with Cake posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:55 am (#)

Congrats!! This book is, like, perfect for your blog–so fun and sweet! Love it! Totally going to check that book out. :)

9. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 2, 2014 at 6:16 am (#)

Awww so proud of you girl!!! Can’t wait to see it on the shelves in stores and get my hands on a copy! :)

10. Ashley | The Recipe Rebel posted on August 2, 2014 at 6:49 am (#)

Congrats Dorothy! It looks amazing, and I need that Death by Chocolate Brownie Layer Cake in my life! Can’t wait to check it out :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks Ashley, I kind of need it too!

11. Amy @Very Culinary posted on August 2, 2014 at 7:52 am (#)

I assume I’ll be buying one at the release party, amiright?? Cannot wait! Let me know what I can do to help, other than the obvious. You got this, girl. So exciting!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:57 am

I’ll for sure take you up on that. :) Thanks Amy (I’m sorta freaked out, lol). :)

12. Mom posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:13 am (#)

Congrats!!! I’m so proud of you. Can’t wait.
    xoox

13. Mary Frances posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:15 am (#)

Congratulations!!! Oh my goodness, I knew it had to come at some point. You writing a cookbook couldn’t not happen! This IS the perfect topic for you. You combine so many amazing things all the time :) Ok, that cake is legit killing me. That puts fudgy to shame. Dorothy, this is beyond exciting! You rock!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thank you so much Mary Frances!!

14. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:30 am (#)

How exciting! Such a labor of love, isn’t it?! Congrats and I can’t wait to see it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:55 am

So totally! Thank you so much Shelly!

15. Heather @ Shards of Lavender posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:39 am (#)

Congratulations, Dorothy! I love that you’ve published a whole book of your dessert mash-ups:) Can’t wait to see everything you’ve included!

16. marcie posted on August 2, 2014 at 9:01 am (#)

Consider your book pre-ordered, and I can’t wait to receive it! The recipes you’ve shown here look mouthwatering and gorgeous — congrats! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:54 am

Thank you so much Marcie!

17. Becky posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:26 am (#)

Congratulations!!! The book looks like it will be beautiful, and the desserts sound extra decadent and yummy! :)

18. Michele @ Alwayzbakin posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:29 am (#)

How exciting! You can bet I’m pre-ordering this next payday! Congratulations!

19. Claire @ A Little Claireification posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:48 am (#)

Congratulations Dorothy!! I know you have been working long and hard on this – that is SO exciting and I can’t wait to see the book!! xo

20. Lisa | Sweet 2 Eat Baking posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:51 am (#)

I can’t even begin to tell you how ecstatic I am for you, Dorothy. You were one of the first baking bloggers I discovered when I started blogging, and I’ve been following since that very day. So happy we connected and we’re friends. You deserve this.

*Big happy dance!*

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:53 am

Thank you Lisa!!!! I’m so nervous, lol.

21. Meg posted on August 2, 2014 at 12:48 pm (#)

Congrats! Those desserts look delicious!

22. Iram posted on August 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm (#)

I am so happy for you and your success. I can’t wait to read your cookbook. You have an amazing personality (even though I really dont know you in real life) You are really funny with your words and make me smile throughout my week. :) Thank you for that

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:53 am

Thank you so much Iram. That’s probably the nicest comment anyone could ever give me! :)

23. amanda @ fake ginger posted on August 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm (#)

Ahhh, so exciting! Totally ordering it!

24. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on August 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm (#)

Yay!!! I’m so excited to get my hands on this book! I already ordered my copy, now I just have to sit and wait patiently! :)

25. Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen posted on August 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm (#)

Congratulations, Dorothy! This is so well deserved – your stuff is gorgeous! Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy :)

26. Mindy posted on August 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm (#)

That’s so awesome, congratulations!!!! Love that your mom commented. Too sweet.

27. Laurie F. posted on August 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm (#)

I saw your book on Amazon a few days ago (I guess with all their “cookies” they knew I would want it!) – awesome! You are the most talented, creative and hard-working person I know – and a quadruple threat (writer, photographer, baker, and humorist). Congratulations!

28. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:38 pm (#)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

Every pic and recipe from your book that you just shared made me go “ooooooooh OMG need!” so obviously I NEED YOUR BOOK!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:51 am

Thank you Kayle! You’re so sweet! :)

29. Tieghan posted on August 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm (#)

How exciting!! I am beyond excited to get my hands on it, I know it will be awesome! Congrats!! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thank you so much Tieghan!!

30. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on August 2, 2014 at 6:24 pm (#)

{Squeeeee!!!} I can hardly contain my excitement! I love me a mashup and I love everything you make, so I know this book is going to be one of my fav’s!! And that chocolate brownie cake? ohmegawd I almost died!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thank you so much Lindsey!!

31. Mir posted on August 2, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

Dorothy, you know I’m a fan. I am buying this book! Can’t wait to try out the recipes, like the PB fondue. Wowie!

32. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on August 2, 2014 at 7:49 pm (#)

I’m so excited for you!! Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!

33. The Better Baker posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:45 pm (#)

Girl! This is way BEYOND exciting! Congrats…it all looks beautiful. SO very happy for you…think it’s one heckuva themed idea! WOOHOOO for you. Being the author of two cookbooks myself…I can testify to the thinking that you HAVE labored for a long time, and now your ‘baby’ is almost here…get ready for the whirlwind to begin! SO proud & pleased.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thank you so much!! I know, I’m a little freaked out for what’s coming… :)

34. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on August 2, 2014 at 9:09 pm (#)

Woohooo, congrats Dorothy! Best news ever! So so excited for you :) I seriously can’t wait to get my hands on a copy – that’s so awesome and well deserved :)

35. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on August 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm (#)

Yay!!! All of the pictures featured are gorgeous and I so want some Carrot Cake Coffee Cake right now for a midnight snack :) Congrats!

36. Colleen posted on August 2, 2014 at 10:48 pm (#)

I am so excited for you and I am definitely buying your cookbook because your recipes are always so yummy!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:47 am

Thank you so much Colleen!!

37. JProvi218 posted on August 3, 2014 at 1:45 am (#)

I ordered two for my daughters over a month ago! What a huge accomplishment! You now are the proud creator of a permanent fixture in someones lives. A cookbook that will get tattered, spilled on, written on, plunked on a shelf….passed on within a family, show up at a yard sale or be donated to a needy family. Either way, it was created by your hand for others to experience. The hardest part is deciding what NOT to include within the pages. I’ve said it before, your blog is an inspiration to several of my crew and I really enjoy the candid snipits of your life woven in the posts. The best part Dorothy is that you may very well wittness the moment when your own daughter passes a copy of your book to one of her children….in your honor! Congrats!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:46 am

Thank you JP. Your comments always make me teary. Thanks so much for ordering it! :)

38. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on August 3, 2014 at 5:41 am (#)

What a great idea for a cookbook! Congrats Dorothy!

39. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on August 3, 2014 at 8:37 am (#)

October 14 is going to be a magical day for you. . I am in awe of you and so happy for you!!! LOVE the concept behind this cookbook and can’t wait to get my hands on one!!! Did you ever dream you would have your very own cookbook? So fabulous and again, SO happy for you!!! I see the food blogging community as a family so just very happy to see so much success for my peeps!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thank you Alice!! I didn’t dream of it until a few years ago – and now I just can’t believe it!

40. Raquel @ Organized Island posted on August 3, 2014 at 11:15 am (#)

That is so wonderful Dorothy! Congratulations on the book! So very happy for you!

41. capturing joy with kristen duke posted on August 3, 2014 at 2:52 pm (#)

SOOOOO exciting! I can’t wait to check it out, congrats times a million!!

42. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 3, 2014 at 3:01 pm (#)

Oh, my gosh!!! I am so excited for this book and so proud of you! This is such a fun process to watch you go through and I know probably so surreal. Enjoy every single minute. You are killing it! Hugs!!!

43. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm (#)

Just beautiful Dorothy! I am so happy for you and know how very hard you worked on this. The photos you’re showing us are incredible!! They take my breath away. And a book FULL of two desserts in one sounds like a dream come true :) You go girl! I’m preordering tonight!!

44. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm (#)

Congrats Dorothy! I am so happy to see you in the final stages and everything is coming together! I totally preordered by copy :)

45. Jess @ Sweet Menu posted on August 3, 2014 at 11:26 pm (#)

Wow Dorothy! Congratulations – your cookbook sounds fantastic! I love the idea of dessert mash ups and your pics and descriptions sound AMAZING!

46. Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) posted on August 4, 2014 at 11:30 am (#)

I’m so excited for you Dorothy!! Your creations always amaze me. I just ordered it, and I can’t wait to make that cover recipe!!

47. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 4, 2014 at 12:43 pm (#)

I am so excited for you! I can’t wait to get my copy! Congratulations – it all sounds so good! That brownie layer cake looks divine!

48. Niki posted on August 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm (#)

Congrats!! It’s pre-ordered and I cannot wait to start making the recipes!

49. Erin m. posted on August 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm (#)

Congratulations!!

50. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on August 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm (#)

Dorothy, congratulations!!!!! This is so exciting. And the premise of your cookbook is freaking brilliant. All of these dessert mash-ups sound and look amazing! You must be so proud. The book looks amazing and I can’t wait to hold it in my hands so that i can make every one of these incredible recipes!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 4th, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thank you so much Nancy!!

51. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Funfetti Cookie Dough Bites | Amy's Healthy Baking

52. Sara C. posted on August 5, 2014 at 10:36 am (#)

Congratulations! I just ordered one. I HAVE to have the recipe for the mash-up on the front cover! Love your blog. :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 5th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Thank you so much Sara!! :)

53. Jenn @ Mother Thyme posted on August 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm (#)

Wow Dorothy! This is awesome! Congrats to you girlie! You totally deserve it! Can’t wait to get my hands on this. You are one talented brookie! ;)

54. Jennifer | Bake or Break posted on August 6, 2014 at 10:34 am (#)

Congratulations, Dorothy! It looks fabulous!

55. Ashton posted on August 7, 2014 at 6:43 am (#)

Oh Dorothy!!! These recipes look INCREDIBLE! I mean, I don’t even know where to start! That brownie cake?! Or the Christmas Cookie Crack (that’s just what I’m gonna call it, let’s face it)— just omg. And the photos are STUNNING! Well done, my friend! So happy to see this finally coming into fruition for you :) (uh… that was weird wording… but you get it ;) )

56. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on August 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm (#)

Yay!! So excited for you!!! Everything looks so fabulous!

57. Melissa-in-NJ posted on August 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm (#)

Just ordered. Cannot wait! You rock!!

58. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on August 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm (#)

I am SO proud of you Dorothy!! You worked so hard on this cookbook, sacrificing lots of sleep and tons of calories to perfect every recipe. I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy and ask you to sign it — I’m absolutely positive that this is going to be unbelievably successful! You’re such an inspiration, and I really hope I can do something as wonderful as your cookbook someday!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Thank you Amy!! You already have. :) I can’t wait for your book one day!

59. Pingback: Crust and Crumbs 14 - Crazy for Crust

60. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on August 10, 2014 at 10:36 am (#)

Huge CONGRATS!! I can’t wait for my copy to arrive! So happy for you, Dorothy!!

61. Jackie posted on August 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm (#)

I ordered mine tonight! I can’t wait til it arrives!! So exciting! So proud of you friend! xoxoxox

62. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on August 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm (#)

Woot woot! Way to go, Dorothy! I can’t even begin to imagine how much work you’ve put into ‘the book.’ It looks amazing!!!! Love the concept!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

63. Pingback: Cinnamon Roll Pull-Apart Bread - Crazy for Crust

64. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on September 7, 2014 at 8:54 am (#)

I am so, so, excited about your new cookbook Dorothy!! I absolutely cannot wait to read it!! I am pre-ordering and telling all my friends!! :) Congratulations!!

65. Pingback: Doughnut Cookies - Crazy for Crust

66. Pingback: Crust & Crumbs 16: Dessert Mash-Ups Giveaway! - Crazy for Crust

67. Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze posted on September 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm (#)

Omg how exciting Dorothy!!! Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! I can’t wait to get my hands on this very yummy book. I’m sure you worked your butt off. Now you can sit back and enjoy a slice of pie while all of us get our butts in the kitchen to bake your delicious desserts!! ☺️

68. Pingback: Cookies 'n' Cream Magic Bar Pie From Dessert Mash-Ups - love from the oven

69. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Magic Bars |

70. Pingback: Caramel Spice Cake Blondies | Dessert Mash-Ups Review - Taste and Tell