get new recipes in your email box:

Aug 21

Peanut Butter Brownies

Today was Jordan’s first day of second grade. I got a little sad. And then I realized something.

She’s gone! At school all day! I kinda felt like that lady in the empty-nester commercial, the one who redecorated her kid’s room as soon as he left for college?

It’s amazing the difference that happens to a kid between kindergarten and second grade. Ginormous difference between then and now. And I know she’s only going to grow up even more in the next few months.

She’ll probably think she’s ready for her driver’s license by the time she ends second grade.

And she’s still super excited still about her braces. She made sure to seek out her old teachers, her principal, and parents of several friends to show them her NEW BRACES! and NEW EARRINGS!

{Shy my child is not.}

So, what did I do to celebrate today?

Remember last year? How a bunch of us moms started walking after drop off? We kicked it off again today.

My friend told me it was “about an hour walk.”

We did over seven miles. SEVEN.

So I’m not sure if my friend is a friend or if she’s out to kill me? The jury is still out on that one.

After I walked SEVEN miles this morning I think I deserve a treat.

And luckily, unlike most of the treats I share with you, I still have some of these babies in my freezer.

I was going to take them to school this week.

They might not make it.

Remember those Very Vanilla Bars I made you a few months ago? You know, the ones for that unmentionable party? Well, they were actually called Very Vanilla Brownies…a fact I realized I messed up on only after photo editing. Anyway, they were made with white chocolate chips.

As I stood at the stove making them, my mind wandered and I began to wonder if I could make them with other kinds of chips. Like peanut butter chips.

You know, make Peanut Butter Brownies.

Sometimes I astound even myself.

Because these are amazing.

Of course, I had to do more than make brownies with frosting. I added a crust.

Because I’m me.

Pretzel crust. Peanut Butter Brownies. And Peanut Butter Frosting (which totally makes them; do not skimp on the frosting!)

You could add chocolate. I almost did. But this way the peanut butter is the total star. She doesn’t have to share the limelight with her pesky BFF, chocolate, throwing her perfect hair around or strutting her stuff in her milk chocolate stilettos.

Nope, peanut butter is the star here.

Perfect comfort food for the first day of school. When you realize your kid is soon going to hate you and not want you to hold her hand anymore.

Or when a friend makes you walk over SEVEN miles.

Make these. You won’t be sorry!

Peanut Butter Brownies

• For the Frosting
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons milk

1. Heat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a 9×13” baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. Crush pretzels in food processor. Place in a medium sized bowl and add sugar and melted butter. Stir and press into the bottom of your pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, melt butter and peanut butter chips in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, just until melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
  4. Stir remaining brownie ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in peanut butter mixture. Spread over pretzel crust and bake about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
  5. Make the frosting: Beat butter and peanut butter with a hand mixer. Beat in powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix until smooth and spread over cooled brownies. Cut into bars.

Enjoy!

78 comments on “Peanut Butter Brownies

1. That crust paired with peanut butter sounds like perfection! Are they fudgy like brownies? Anything pb sounds so yum right now!
    That Jordan. She’s so great 😉
    I think youdeserve TWO treats after walking 7 miles! Way to go, girl!

2. Weird – I was just thinking of making some peanut butter brownies! I love the idea of a salty pretzel crust – I can just taste it now! Yum.

3. I could never dream up such a wonderful treat! These must be fantastic!

4. Peanut butter and pretzel brownies sound awesome!! I love that you added more peanut butter to the top too! You deserve a whole pan of these after 7 miles!!!!

5. You crack me up. And I love peanut butter! Win. Win.

6. These sound so stinking good! I wonder if a little chocolate drizzled on top would hurt anything? 😉 Not that they need it. The peanut butter and salt mix is a great one!

7. Oh my – I cannot believe I’ve never thought about this – I am a total PB LOVER! a jar and a spoon is all I need:) and a crust – YUM! PB pretzels from Trader Joes are a staple in our house

8. everything about them is just yum from the pretzel crust to the PB – brownies without chocolate, I call blondies, but whatever you want to call these, all I can say is YUM!

9. What the what?! How the hell did you walk seven miles?! That’s incredible… and insane. I walked just over that for the Bay to Breakers race a couple years ago, so I know how insane that is. And how long SF is. And got to see naked old men, but that’s besides the point. These brownies are awesome and I should know 🙂 you definitely deserve one or seven, one for each mile 🙂

10. I had an idea for pb/pretzel blondies about a month ago and they just didn’t turn out as I expected. These look like they’re a winner, though!

11. Ohhh, you’ve really got me with this one. I love peanut butter and can never seem to get enough peanut butter flavor in bar recipes that I’ve tried. Yours looks like the ultimate in peanut buttery goodness. Pinning it!!!

12. These look so good! It’s crazy how fast those kids grow up huh?! But having an empty house is something I am looking forward to once my last one gets to Kindergarten. My hubs wants me to take up a day job when that happens but I am like, give me at least one year! HAHAHA! Good job on the 7 miles too! 🙂

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 22nd, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I would be too! Yeah, real job, ha. “All day” really isn’t all day! 🙂

13. “milk chocolate stilettos” haha love it! These look amazing 🙂

14. That looks heavenly! I’d love a piece of that right now 😉

15. So, it might be a bad thing that I have EVERYTHING on hand to make these 😉 Pinned!!

16. I can’t even imagine my baby going into second grade. They grow up so fast!

Anyway, this looks absolutely amazing and definitely worth a treat after your long walk 🙂

17. Peanut Butter. Pretzel Crust. I love. I love. I LOVE!

18. oh yummy, I would walk a few miles for those.

19. These are so amazing to me right now

20. Also a good way to cheer her up when she gets home if she hates school. 🙂

21. Yum! I could definitely use one of these right now!

22. Love these!! I wish I was an empty nester. I have two toddlers at home. Thats great about your walk, though!! Go you ♥

23. Wow, all my favourite things together. And the combination of salty and sweet – must make!

24. You are a free woman and I agree, after a 7 mile walk you do deserve a treat!

25. More kitchen time to yourself! 🙂 MMM these PB brownies look sooo good!

26. Ok..this works for me and my hubby… sweet for me and salty for him! Thanks for sharing. Pinning this.

27. These sound fantastic! I can’t believe I’ve never had peanut butter brownies before. Can’t wait to give them a try.

28. Since I need peanut butter in each and every form in my life, these PB brownies are divine. The perfect treat to stuff my face with after a run. The pretzel crust is the cherry on top. Seriously… that may just be my favorite part! Love the texture contrast and the sweet/salty.

29. Just found your blog through pinterest! This recipe sounds amazing. Love me some peanut butter!!!!

30. WOWWW – these look heavenly!
    I just have to pin these NOW 🙂

31. I am a sucker for both of these. I love peanut butter pretzel truffles so these sound so good. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

32. Yummy!! I’m visiting you from “Days of Chalk & Chocolate” blog hop.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

33. Great share! I just pinned your recipe, I can’t wait to make these PB Brownies! I saw your yummy share at The Frugal Girls’ Party! Cheers!

34. Love the idea of peanut butter brownies, but (Brit question), what is a peanut butter chip??

35. Ok. So if you can walk seven miles – you da’ bomb! And these look wonderful!

36. These sound really good! Found your recipe via the Grant Life!

37. Just reading about you walking SEVEN miles makes me feel like I’ve earned one of these. The pretzel crust? Genius.

38. I can’t wait to try these! I love pretzels and peanut butter. We used to dip our pretzels in PB. I had to stop in the middle of this post and go read about the “unmentionable party” lol Hilarious!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

Michelle

39. I think peanut butter deserves to be the star every once in a while. These look great!

40. this is beyond words…….Im off to go get pretzels……thank you!!!

41. yum….what a great looking bar cookie….I’ll have to try these! thanks….

42. I am making these for sure…just pinned!

43. Pinning, as well! Can’t wait to try them…

44. That looks so good! I love you peanut butter recipes! I will be pinning this and save it to my must try 🙂
    Sorry you feel a little sad about your kid being at school all that. That’s why it pays to seize each moment they are there. They grow up so fast!

xo
    Myric

45. Found this recipe on pinterest, and had to try it right away. Is the dough supposed to be SO thick? When I tried to “spread” it onto the pretzel crust, the crust just fell apart and stuck to the dough and made a huge mess. I ended up having to grease my hands and “spread” the dough that way. It’s baking now, so we’ll see how it turns out. Unfortunately, the “crust” is not really a crust anymore. It’s going to be patchy and mixed in at places. :/

• crazyforcrust replied on September 28th, 2012 at 6:19 am

I remember the dough being thick, but not so that I couldn’t spread it with the spoon. Hmmmm…. I hope they turn out okay? I’m sorry you had trouble with it!

46. Pingback: Pumpkin Streusel Muffins | Crazy for Crust

47. These look fantastic! Totally making them this week!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 10th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thanks so much! I hope you love them!

48. The 12 Tbs. butter for the pretzel crust seems like a lot of butter. Just want to make sure that is correct? These brownies sound awesome. Want to make them for this weekend.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 4th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

OMG! Thank you! It’s 1/2 CUP (1 stick). I’ll fix it right now! Enjoy!

49. Pingback: Peanut Butter Brownies - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust | FOODIEZ-eatzFOODIEZ-eatz