Jun 10

Blueberry Pie Fudge

Blueberry Pie Fudge | crazyforcrust.com | #fudge #blueberry
Do you ever get an idea that you are really excited about; one that you really, really want to try out? One that you’ll be so excited about it if it works (highlights, yay!) or really bummed if it doesn’t (lace jacket? Not in any era, people.)

This recipe is one of those ideas.

Fudge, that tastes like blueberry, that looks like a pie. I have no idea where this idea came to me. Possibly when I was out running, because that’s what I do to get through the torture. {I think about fabulous desserts so that by the time I get home I’m totally famished and scarf poptarts because, hey, I just went for a run.}

Then I got an email from a company called Lucky Leaf. Have you heard of them?

They make premium pie fillings for fruit and cream pies, as well as applesauce and apple juice. They make PIE FILLING, yo. I mean, could it have been a more perfect fit? I responded to the email so fast I think I got carpel tunnel.

I waited (im)patiently for my box to arrive. And to my absolute, sheer delight, I received a can of their blueberry pie filling!

Also, they shared strawberry and peach, as well as a cool ice pop mold and some recipes.

But you know me and recipes. I, um, don’t follow them.

So anyways, after I got over the glee of having blueberry pie filling to play with, I went about making this recipe.

My first try was using my traditional fudge recipe (fruit of the Gods sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate chips) and well, it didn’t work. It was almost one of those “bummed” moments.

And then I remembered all those recipes for two-ingredient fudge awhile back. You know, the ones that used a can of frosting and chocolate chips? Well, the blueberry pie filling was sorta like a can of frosting. It’s sweet and thick and delicious. So I made two ingredient fudge – with blueberry pie filling and white chocolate.

And then I added a lattice on top. Because it wouldn’t be good fudge without a crust.

Definitely an excited moment recipe. And it’s kinda pretty too.

Now I can’t wait to use my other Lucky Leaf pie fillings. Strawberry and peach….now I have some running thinking to do. And I want to get some of their chocolate cream and lemon cream…they sound so good!

Blueberry Pie Fudge

• 1 ready-made pie crust (from a pack of 2)
  • ¾ cup blueberry pie filling
  • 3 cups white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Unroll pie crust. (If it begins to stick or crack, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes until it unrolls smoothly.)
  2. Working on a cutting board and using a straightedge (I used the side of the pie crust box) slice the pie crust vertically into even slices, about ½ inch thick. Lay out a piece of parchment paper (cut to the size of a large cookie sheet). Starting at the left of the pie crust slices, move every other slice to the parchment paper. Place about ½” apart from each other, so that it looks like a striped pie crust. Weave the rest of your strips into the ones you’ve just laid out, one at a time, to make a lattice pattern.
  3. Place a 9” cake pan upside down on top of your lattice. Cut around to make a circle that will fit inside it. Remove excess crust edges, transfer parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and prepare fudge.
  4. Line 9” cake pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  5. Place ½ can of blueberry pie filling in a blender and puree. Reserve ¾ cup.
  6. Melt white chocolate in a large bowl in microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring between each. Heat until melted through. Stir in blueberry pie filling and spread in 9” cake pan. Carefully top with lattice crust and chill until firm enough to cut. Store in refrigerator. (This fudge is softer than traditional cooked fudge.)

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

blueberry pie fudge 3 words

Lucky Leaf sent me three cans of pie filling and the ice pop mold for free. All of my opinions about the product are totally my own.

59 Responses to “Blueberry Pie Fudge”

1. mickeyrenee posted on June 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm (#)

What a cute and original idea! That is perfectly festive for the upcoming 4th of July too. :)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 10th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Thanks! Perfect for the fourth, which is a pie holiday too. Well, at least I think so, ha!

2. Jenn posted on June 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

You seriously make me laugh. I can’t remember the last time I heard someone say “yo” and you just did – ha ha!! I think this is the most unique fudge I have ever seen. BTW – your new picture is cute!

3. Jocelyn posted on June 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

Pure genius to use it in place of the frosting!!! And of course it needed a cute crust…it wouldn’t be you without the crust:-) I can’t wait to see what you make with the pop mold!!!

4. Susan posted on June 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm (#)

I’m a runner too and can totally relate to how ideas pop in your head! Ingenious recipe and one on my list. XOXO

5. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on June 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm (#)

You are brilliant! This is the cutest pie I’ve ever seen!!

6. Janine (sugarkissed.net) posted on June 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm (#)

You’ve peaked my interest, yo! Very creative! Sound yummy and the lattice looks beautiful!

7. Hayley posted on June 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm (#)

Yes! Yum! YUM. Blueberry pie fudge?! I’m so glad you’re my genius best friend :) the fudge is gorge, by the way.

8. cupsbykim posted on June 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm (#)

That is awesome! Great job! (both on the running and the fudge!)

9. Kristin posted on June 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm (#)

You really are crazy (for crust)! Who thinks of these things?!? That would be so much fun for a kid’s party. You could make all different flavors. And sweetened condensed milk is indeed a godly fruit.

10. The Better Baker posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm (#)

I ditto Kristin’s comment above…I was thinking the very same thing…HOW DO YOU THINK OF THESE THINGS??? This is pretty amazing…I would LOVE to be given pie filling to make recipes with. You are quite the creative genius….and your photo is just too cute!

11. Lisa posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm (#)

Genius idea! I love how it looks and I would love, love, love how it tastes.

12. Dip It In Chocolate posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm (#)

You just blew my mind.

13. DEANNE MORSE posted on June 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm (#)

OOOH THAT SOUNDS ENTIRELY TOO GOOD, I’LL BE TRYING THIS, I HAVE 2 PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD JUST GO CRAZY FOR THIS!! THANKS FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE!!
    I’M GOING TO FOLLOW YOU SO I DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF THESE GREAT IDEAS AGAIN!!

14. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on June 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#)

Sounds interesting. I’ve never made fudge with frosting. Had no idea…. Also glad to hear that I’m not the only one who doesn’t follow recipes :)
    I’ll be checking back about that giveaway, seeing as I’ll be home, not running.

15. Gloria posted on June 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm (#)

love blueberries!

16. Back for Seconds posted on June 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm (#)

I get so excited when I see an original, unique idea like this one! I love it, girl! I heart blueberry anything and the pie crust just makes it that much cooler.you done good, ha!

17. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes posted on June 11, 2012 at 4:07 am (#)

Love this idea …. and love the crust :) This just screams summer!

18. Aimee posted on June 11, 2012 at 4:31 am (#)

Very cute :)

19. Shannon posted on June 11, 2012 at 5:09 am (#)

That’s such a cool idea. I bet the creamy, fruity fudge tastes really good with the crunchy pie crust. Thanks for sharing Dorothy! :)

20. Ellen posted on June 11, 2012 at 5:35 am (#)

Nice lattice! I’ll be back… ;)

21. Anonymous posted on June 11, 2012 at 6:12 am (#)

And it tastes very yummy! Only one slice left…not for long.
    Thanks, again,
    Mom

22. Shirley@bells-bakery posted on June 11, 2012 at 6:40 am (#)

Wow look at the colour….amazing! what a great idea:)

23. Sue posted on June 11, 2012 at 7:41 am (#)

Very original and so impressive looking! Sounds yummy, and easy too! Looks like you and Lucky Lee are a perfect match, Dorothy!

24. Holly posted on June 11, 2012 at 7:44 am (#)

Holy cow. This looks incredible. The color is amazing!

25. sweetsplendor posted on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 am (#)

Looks sooooo good! It’s one of the prettiest pies I’ve ever seen, too!

26. Erin posted on June 11, 2012 at 9:54 am (#)

Holy kee-rud! This looks so amazing! I love the pie crust lattice on top! I can’t wait ti see what you come with for the other fillings too! YUM!

27. Baking Addict posted on June 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm (#)

wow this looks amazing!! I get really excited when I have a new idea too and it is a real bummer if it doesn’t work out!

28. cragsandveggies posted on June 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm (#)

Wow, that looks so interesting! Neat idea!

29. Something Swanky posted on June 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

This is SO adorable! I LOVE the lattice top, oh my gosh. I could NOT figure out what this was on instagram so I was SO hoping it would be on the blog today!! YAY!

30. Joan@chocolateandmore posted on June 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm (#)

Lucky Leaf has a chocolate cream and a Lemon Cream filling, I’ve gotta find those! I love that you put a lattice crust on your fudge, and it’s blueberry, so wait, yeah, I can pretend it’s healthy, blueberry’s a fruit, yup, it’s healthy!

31. kitty posted on June 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm (#)

Wow, Dorothy, what a creative, fun idea for fudge!! You rock, girlfriend!!!

32. Linda posted on June 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm (#)

This is very different Dorothy. I have never heard of Lucky Leaf. Where’s the chocolate? Yumm!

33. Heather Kinnaird posted on June 12, 2012 at 11:19 am (#)

So creative – and I feel the exact same way about running!

34. Janice E posted on June 13, 2012 at 7:57 am (#)

Wow, very cool idea.

35. Brenda posted on June 13, 2012 at 9:44 am (#)

Blueberry Pie Fudge! You are a genius!!!

36. Kaylee posted on June 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm (#)

What an amazing idea! Love how it looks like a pie but it is secretly fudge.

Thanks so much for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Hope to see you again next week!

Kaylee

37. Carrie Burrill posted on June 15, 2012 at 6:56 am (#)

Where do you come up with these ideas?! Fantastic! I’m obsessed with all things blueberry.

38. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on June 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm (#)

You are such a genius in the kitchen! Love this! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

39. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche posted on June 25, 2012 at 8:15 am (#)

This looks amazing! Just found your blog and I love it, adding it to my reader :)

40. Pingback: Blueberry Slab Pie | Crazy for Crust

41. Pingback: Caramel Pretzel Butterscotch Fudge - Something Swanky

42. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm (#)

Um, hello? First off this is an amazingly genius use of pie filling. Second off an entire pie’s worth of fudge?? I’m so happy right now!!!

43. Pingback: Blueberry Fritters | theBitterSideofSweet