May 02

Avocado Frosting

Wait. Don’t click away. Stay. I promise. You won’t be sorry.

Okay. I know you’re all “What??!” right now. Avocado Frosting? Is she nuts?

{Quite possibly I am, but this isn’t why.}

Seriously, I know it’s weird. Avocados are for chips and tacos and margarita night. Not cupcakes.

Until now.

You all know how picky I am, right? I mean, I don’t eat condiments. Fruit makes me gag. I eat burritos inside out. Seriously, I have issues.

But recently I discovered I love avocados. A lot. Like, I could bathe in them and eat them every single meal of every single day and be happy.

And now? I can have them with dessert.

So…still with me? Good. Thanks. :)

Cinco de Mayo is Saturday. I wanted to do some sort of post themed for it. I couldn’t make up my mind. Then I remembered this post by Jocelyn. And thought, hmmm. Avocados. What else can I do with them?

A quick search led me to this post by Jessica and I remembered that it intrigued me the first time I saw it.

So I made it.

And it’s delicious.

Hear me, naysayers? Avocado frosting is delicious. This, from the pickiest person ever. It’s good. It’s fruity. It almost tastes like citrus. Pairs awesome with a chocolate cupcake.

Want another endorsement? My husband was eager to try it. He ate half a cupcake. That I made. He ate one of my desserts.

Did your head just explode? Because mine kind of did.

Mel doesn’t eat my desserts. He looks at them, tells me how good they look, and then goes for his fat-free ice cream and WW brownie. He never eats anything I make unless it’s carrot cake related.

BUT HE ATE THIS FROSTING. And he liked it too (and he is picky…although he won’t admit it.)

{Hi honey! Just talking here…about nothing. No worries. Totally not about you…}

So…yeah. It’s weird. But in a good way. Seriously. Try it. I mean, if I’ll eat it, you know it has to be good.

Thanks for reading!

Avocado Frosting

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (plus a little more if needed)
  • Pinch salt
  • Note: this recipe will frost about 5-6 cupcakes. Double for a larger batch.

1. Using a mixer, beat avocado and butter until combined and no lumps remain. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar slowly and mix until combined. (Depending on how wet your avocado is you may need to add up to an additional ½ cup powdered sugar.) Spread on cupcakes and store in refrigerator. (Frosting is soft and will spread on cupcakes.)
(Recipe from How Sweet It Is)
**Updated: these cupcakes were in my fridge for about four days before they disappeared. They did not turn brown!**

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

Comments

comments

105 comments on “Avocado Frosting

1. Hmmmmm…I DO trust you, but I’m going to have to sit with this idea for a bit before I give it a try, lol!! I love avocado’s, too!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I totally understand. Even after I made it I had to let it sit awhile to get up the nerve to try it! :) (But I’m glad I did.)

2. Yum! I love avocado everything! I’ve seen smoothies but never frosting. Pinning this!

3. Okay, Dorothy that IS weird … but I’ll trust you. :-) It’s just weird enough that I’ll absolutely have to give it a try! (I generally like weird)

4. been meaning to try avocado frosting…i did attempt an avocado cupcake last year, and it was surprisingly good as well….have to put this on the to do list! :)

5. Not going to lie, I’m skeptical. But since you are endorsing I’m willing to give it a fair shake. I do know that my husband would never in a million years tasted it if I told him what was in it. hehe if!

6. i’m a sucker for avocados. they sell me on any item i see on a menu at a restaurant… if it includes avocado, i’m ordering it! i never thought of using it as frosting though Dorothy! I’ve seen chocolate avocado pudding before (never tasted it), but never frosting. Looks SO good though!

7. Ok, wait. For real??? I just can’t imagine how this would taste! I love avocados, though. And I’ll try anything once (except anything that involves any kind of dry fruit)…. how would you rank the frosting? 1-10?

• Something Swanky replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Ok. Well. That’s embarrassing. It’s just me here. But I was signed into my church blog’s account and can’t be bothered to delete and then re-comment. Besides, that always look suspicious when there’s a deleted comment 😉

8. I made vegan chocolate avocado cupcakes a few months ago that tasted delicious but you would never know that there was avocado in them unless someone told you. The frosting looks delicious! I was thinking it would have complemented those cupcakes nicely. :) I would be piping avocado frosting on everything!

9. You so crazy. (said in my best Puerto Rican accent)

It’s true, it sounds completely bizarre, but I’m a super fan of avocado shakes, so I imagine these are just as delicious.

Now what is this about gagging on fruit and despising condiments?

10. I was once shipped a box of avocados. So, I made an avocado milkshake. It was good! It does taste good. Of course, chocolate and anything tastes good.

11. I think I may trust you enough to try this. Just maybe…if a non-dessert-loving person can eat it, I probably can too!

12. Huh…I have one of those husbands too. The kind that say hey’ll eat anything and call their wives picky eaters but really, they’re just as bad! He never, never eats my desserts….but I’ll bet he’d like these, he’s a sucker for avocado!

13. What’s up with your husband not eating your goodies? How does he resist them? Is it a weird super power?
    Anyway, I really love avacados and don’t think this is crazy at all! I am going to try this soon. Yum!

14. I am a huge avocado fan…as you well know:-) I like them in muffins and in smoothies. I just know that I am going to LOVE this frosting!!! I have been wanting to make it and now that I know it is good, it is game on!!!

15. Your presentation is just always so stunning and your recipes, mouthwatering

16. I saw Jessica’s post with that frosting, but haven’t attempted it yet! Now that YOU endorse it? I may just give it a go!

17. Wow, I am really intrigued. When I first opened your page, I was like what? Now, I am really curious to try it. I bet the avocado would be really good with the chocolate. It looks really good!

18. LOL what is it with our men? Mine would never eat this, or anything I make of course, oh well, I so would! I love avocado!

19. I have been intrigued by this idea since I first saw it but have yet pulled the trigger to make it.

20. OK- I have major faith in this being awesome due to having once had an avocado based brownie. And, I just love the color! Sadly, avocados are now on the list of allergy foods that could kill me, but I will gaze longingly at your photo and remember the good ol’ days when I could eat things. :-)

21. Given the fact that I am currently eating half an avocado with my breakfast eggs, I am admittedly, a little skeptical. But judging by the stuff I’ve tasted of yours, I am really intrigued to make this with the remaining ripe avo sitting on my counter. It looks REALLY good… almost like a guacamole on top of a chocolate cupcake–but I don’t mean that in a bad way! I mean it like, I love guac. And chocolate goes into savory dishes so why can’t avo go into cupcakes? OMG MY BRAIN IS THINKING OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It is really good! Light, sweet, and kinda refreshing. I know, my brain does that too. Somewhat good, somewhat annoying. :)

22. Dorothy,

I have seen Avocados everywhere lately in dessert and breakfast recipes but have been to afraid to try them. Now I know I can try this recipe because you make amazing desserts all the time :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great day.

Michelle

23. Alright, you got me. I’m gonna give it a try and let you know! :)

24. It sounds so crazy that I guess it must good
    I’m pinning this

25. This sounds like it would be great with my Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes I make…..Yummy!!!

26. Wait…will this oxidize (turn brown when exposed to air for awhile) like guac does?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

No, it didn’t for me. They were in the fridge for a few days and they were still green!

27. OK … I have heard of avocado in cupcakes and icing, but never could bring myself to try it. You have convinced me :)

28. I don’t think you’re crazy! I love avocados too, and love to eat them plain, with a little bit of salt, and maybe drizzled with olive oil(a tiny bit). I make avocado pie, but will now have to try this frosting!

29. I’ve never tried avocado frosting… but I’ll definitely have to after reading your post!

30. Crazy idea! I never tried avocado frosting but I love the Avocado smoothie! So the frosting has to be delish!

31. It looks and sounds amazing, but I am also wondering about the turning brown factor. Did your cupcakes hang around long enough to find out if it is an issue?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I didn’t have any brown issues. They were in my fridge for a few days before they all disappeared, and they were still green! :)

32. This is bizarre, but I have to try it. I watched an Alton Brown episode were he claimed that you can substitute avocado for anything that has butter…. hmmm,

33. My frieds thought I was crazy when I told them we eat avocado for dessert like ice cream in Philippines. I bet this taste great! I must try this recipe!

There is a link party going on in my blog. I would LOVE for you to share this :)

xoxo
    Myric

34. I am very intrigued. I will try anything and I love avocado. Thanks for sharing.

35. I’ve just been looking for some avocado recipes, and this is super interesting, but I think I might go with something a little more traditional at first.:)

36. Wow! So tempting and lovely frosting.

37. I cannot wait to try this – we LOVE avocados!!

38. weird.. but you make a good argument lol.. I love me some avocados.. I’ll have to try it :)

39. OK I checked the calendar and it’s not April 1 and I do remember Jocelyn’s cupcakes. I remember seeing a chocolate cake recipe that used sauerkraut so anything is possible. Can I pretend it’s pistachio maybe?

40. So will these keep in the fridge? Or i sit a frost and eat it type of thing? Cause of the brown nasty that happens when avo’s are exposed to air???

41. i don’t think it is weird at all. avocado is delicious and works well with sweet things. thanks for including the recipe! glad i found you from the petite passions (myric) blog! xo

42. Looks awesome!!! Mind if I share on my next Meatless Monday post for a post-cinco special???

Jessica

43. Wow, what a unique recipe! I would have NEVER thought of avocados in an icing. Thanks for linking up to Southern Sundays at http://www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

44. Hi Dorothy,

I keep seeing your green cupcakes linked and just had to check them out. Of course, avocado! It’s full of full and creamy, why not try it in frosting?

I’d love for you to stop by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

45. This looks so weird. But I can’t wait to try it!

46. Sounds interesting, but looks delicious!! We’re so glad you joined us for “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Thanks and come back soon!! -The Sisters

47. You know I think you’re crazy but if you tell me it’s good I believe you! I do love my avocados! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!
    –Trish

48. I love avocado. I might want to bathe in it too.. hmmm. Haha.. YUM!

Thanks for linking up last week! You are being featured this week! :)

49. At first I wasn’t so into this but now I do think it would really be good! I was also kind of shocked to read about how your husband doesn’t eat your desserts but to hear that he is trying to be disciplined and healthy – I guess that is okay!

Thanks for sharing this at last week’s Drab to Fab party!

This week’s party is now live! Come on back and share more of what you have been working on! (Old or new)

Have a great weekend! :)