May 02

Avocado Frosting

Wait. Don’t click away. Stay. I promise. You won’t be sorry.

Okay. I know you’re all “What??!” right now. Avocado Frosting? Is she nuts?

{Quite possibly I am, but this isn’t why.}

Seriously, I know it’s weird. Avocados are for chips and tacos and margarita night. Not cupcakes.

Until now.

You all know how picky I am, right? I mean, I don’t eat condiments. Fruit makes me gag. I eat burritos inside out. Seriously, I have issues.

But recently I discovered I love avocados. A lot. Like, I could bathe in them and eat them every single meal of every single day and be happy.

And now? I can have them with dessert.

So…still with me? Good. Thanks. :)

Cinco de Mayo is Saturday. I wanted to do some sort of post themed for it. I couldn’t make up my mind. Then I remembered this post by Jocelyn. And thought, hmmm. Avocados. What else can I do with them?

A quick search led me to this post by Jessica and I remembered that it intrigued me the first time I saw it.

So I made it.

And it’s delicious.

Hear me, naysayers? Avocado frosting is delicious. This, from the pickiest person ever. It’s good. It’s fruity. It almost tastes like citrus. Pairs awesome with a chocolate cupcake.

Want another endorsement? My husband was eager to try it. He ate half a cupcake. That I made. He ate one of my desserts.

Did your head just explode? Because mine kind of did.

Mel doesn’t eat my desserts. He looks at them, tells me how good they look, and then goes for his fat-free ice cream and WW brownie. He never eats anything I make unless it’s carrot cake related.

BUT HE ATE THIS FROSTING. And he liked it too (and he is picky…although he won’t admit it.)

{Hi honey! Just talking here…about nothing. No worries. Totally not about you…}

So…yeah. It’s weird. But in a good way. Seriously. Try it. I mean, if I’ll eat it, you know it has to be good.

Thanks for reading!

Avocado Frosting

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (plus a little more if needed)
  • Pinch salt
  • Note: this recipe will frost about 5-6 cupcakes. Double for a larger batch.

1. Using a mixer, beat avocado and butter until combined and no lumps remain. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar slowly and mix until combined. (Depending on how wet your avocado is you may need to add up to an additional ½ cup powdered sugar.) Spread on cupcakes and store in refrigerator. (Frosting is soft and will spread on cupcakes.)
(Recipe from How Sweet It Is)
**Updated: these cupcakes were in my fridge for about four days before they disappeared. They did not turn brown!**

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

102 Responses to “Avocado Frosting”

1. Polkadot-pretties posted on May 12, 2012 at 6:35 am (#)

Yummy yummy

Thank you for sharing.

Hope you will stop by and link up another fabulous recipe at craft create and inspire linky.

Claire x

2. lisacng posted on May 14, 2012 at 9:37 am (#)

I’m trying these this week.

3. lisacng posted on May 14, 2012 at 11:37 am (#)

Oh, and can I make this ahead of time and freeze the frosting, you think?

4. Jazmin Novoa posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm (#)

Having a Cupcake bake off and I’m definitely going to try this!!! i’ll be making two kinds, just in case…but this will def be my number one!! Cnat wait!! Love trying funky new things! and I think i got this one in the bag!! thanks!!!

5. Jazmin Novoa posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm (#)

oh what flavor cupcake should I use? chocolate?

6. Rose M. posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:54 pm (#)

hi dorothy! too funny, i just googled “avocado frosting” and up comes your blog. i saw the link and thought, “hmm that sounds like dorothy’s blog”. i’m thinking of tweaking this recipe for scarlett’s birthday cupcakes (the very hungry caterpillar). thanks for posting!!! hope you guys are well!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:32 am

That is too funny Rose! It’s a great frosting, I hope you like it. What a fun party!

7. korry posted on September 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm (#)

yum! i made my husband a avocado cake 2 years ago for his bday and he liked it alot…my daughter is turning 3 this month and i was looking for the perfect frosting to go with her chocolate beet/chickpea cake..i think(more like hope) this will work! cant wait to try it!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 6:36 am

I need to make avocado cake! This pairs awesome with chocolate. I hope you like it!

8. Pingback: What happens when avocados are on sale « the not quite chef

9. Pingback: Ghoulishly Green Halloween | Crazy for Crust

10. Pingback: Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

11. Pingback: The Perfect White Cake... In a Jar | Sugar Dish MeSugar Dish Me

12. Selma posted on May 1, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

how can you keep this green? don’t avocados turn dark? will make this one..my daughter loves avocados, will surprise her..

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 3:33 pm

It’s best the same day. It stayed green throughout the day, but was brown the next day. For better luck on it staying green, use a super fresh avocado, leave the pit in the bottom of the bowl, and if you cover/refrigerate it, use a darker container (not just plastic wrap). In the past, the recipes I’ve made stayed green longer, so I think my semi-unfresh avocado and my plastic wrap did me in. :)

13. Pingback: Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips - Crazy for Crust

14. Aqiyl Aniys posted on March 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm (#)

Whoa, avocado frosting! Totally original, at least they are for me. I would love to taste them right now.

15. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting |

16. Anika posted on July 28, 2014 at 6:15 am (#)

Sorry to say I hated the frosting. It does have a nice colour but it tastes just like avocado with sugar. I had to throw it away.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 28th, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’m sorry Anika! To me it had a very citrusy taste – but the sugar got me away from the avocado. I guess it’s all about preference! I have plenty of good regular frostings I’m sure you’ll love. :)

17. Alicia posted on October 30, 2014 at 3:24 am (#)

Hi Dorothy!

So happy I found this frosting yesterday. Combined the frosting with my steamed sweet potato muffin and  added cream cheese to mine it was so delicious!!!!

Can’t thank you enough.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 30th, 2014 at 6:41 am

Amazing subs!! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

18. Pingback: 50 Easy Ways To Include Avocados In Your Life More - Womans Vibe

19. Pingback: Healthified Desserts, Part 3: Chocolate Avocado Cake with Mint Avocado Icing | avocadoalice

20. Iulia posted on February 21, 2015 at 1:33 am (#)

Made it, ate it, loved it !!! Just look at that colour…

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 21st, 2015 at 7:17 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

21. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting (vegan) | Almond Butter Binge