May 02

Avocado Frosting

Wait. Don’t click away. Stay. I promise. You won’t be sorry.

Okay. I know you’re all “What??!” right now. Avocado Frosting? Is she nuts?

{Quite possibly I am, but this isn’t why.}

Seriously, I know it’s weird. Avocados are for chips and tacos and margarita night. Not cupcakes.

Until now.

You all know how picky I am, right? I mean, I don’t eat condiments. Fruit makes me gag. I eat burritos inside out. Seriously, I have issues.

But recently I discovered I love avocados. A lot. Like, I could bathe in them and eat them every single meal of every single day and be happy.

And now? I can have them with dessert.

So…still with me? Good. Thanks. :)

Cinco de Mayo is Saturday. I wanted to do some sort of post themed for it. I couldn’t make up my mind. Then I remembered this post by Jocelyn. And thought, hmmm. Avocados. What else can I do with them?

A quick search led me to this post by Jessica and I remembered that it intrigued me the first time I saw it.

So I made it.

And it’s delicious.

Hear me, naysayers? Avocado frosting is delicious. This, from the pickiest person ever. It’s good. It’s fruity. It almost tastes like citrus. Pairs awesome with a chocolate cupcake.

Want another endorsement? My husband was eager to try it. He ate half a cupcake. That I made. He ate one of my desserts.

Did your head just explode? Because mine kind of did.

Mel doesn’t eat my desserts. He looks at them, tells me how good they look, and then goes for his fat-free ice cream and WW brownie. He never eats anything I make unless it’s carrot cake related.

BUT HE ATE THIS FROSTING. And he liked it too (and he is picky…although he won’t admit it.)

{Hi honey! Just talking here…about nothing. No worries. Totally not about you…}

So…yeah. It’s weird. But in a good way. Seriously. Try it. I mean, if I’ll eat it, you know it has to be good.

Thanks for reading!

Avocado Frosting

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (plus a little more if needed)
  • Pinch salt
  • Note: this recipe will frost about 5-6 cupcakes. Double for a larger batch.

1. Using a mixer, beat avocado and butter until combined and no lumps remain. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar slowly and mix until combined. (Depending on how wet your avocado is you may need to add up to an additional ½ cup powdered sugar.) Spread on cupcakes and store in refrigerator. (Frosting is soft and will spread on cupcakes.)
(Recipe from How Sweet It Is)
**Updated: these cupcakes were in my fridge for about four days before they disappeared. They did not turn brown!**

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Tea Party Tuesdays at Sweetology, Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

95 Responses to “Avocado Frosting”

1. Debbie posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm (#)

Hmmmmm…I DO trust you, but I’m going to have to sit with this idea for a bit before I give it a try, lol!! I love avocado’s, too!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I totally understand. Even after I made it I had to let it sit awhile to get up the nerve to try it! :) (But I’m glad I did.)

2. LeighAnn posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm (#)

Yum! I love avocado everything! I’ve seen smoothies but never frosting. Pinning this!

3. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm (#)

Okay, Dorothy that IS weird … but I’ll trust you. :-) It’s just weird enough that I’ll absolutely have to give it a try! (I generally like weird)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:23 pm

See, I don’t. So this was weird for me, ha. But good weird. :)

4. sugarswings posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm (#)

been meaning to try avocado frosting…i did attempt an avocado cupcake last year, and it was surprisingly good as well….have to put this on the to do list! :)

5. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm (#)

Not going to lie, I’m skeptical. But since you are endorsing I’m willing to give it a fair shake. I do know that my husband would never in a million years tasted it if I told him what was in it. hehe if!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I never expected Mel to either! I know it’s strange…but good strange. :)

6. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm (#)

i’m a sucker for avocados. they sell me on any item i see on a menu at a restaurant… if it includes avocado, i’m ordering it! i never thought of using it as frosting though Dorothy! I’ve seen chocolate avocado pudding before (never tasted it), but never frosting. Looks SO good though!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I totally thought about doing the pudding! That’s next on my list. :)

7. Rockbridge Relief Society posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm (#)

Ok, wait. For real??? I just can’t imagine how this would taste! I love avocados, though. And I’ll try anything once (except anything that involves any kind of dry fruit)…. how would you rank the frosting? 1-10?

• Something Swanky replied on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Ok. Well. That’s embarrassing. It’s just me here. But I was signed into my church blog’s account and can’t be bothered to delete and then re-comment. Besides, that always look suspicious when there’s a deleted comment ;)

8. Shannon posted on May 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm (#)

I made vegan chocolate avocado cupcakes a few months ago that tasted delicious but you would never know that there was avocado in them unless someone told you. The frosting looks delicious! I was thinking it would have complemented those cupcakes nicely. :) I would be piping avocado frosting on everything!

9. Mindy posted on May 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm (#)

You so crazy. (said in my best Puerto Rican accent)

It’s true, it sounds completely bizarre, but I’m a super fan of avocado shakes, so I imagine these are just as delicious.

Now what is this about gagging on fruit and despising condiments?

10. Debby Foodiewife posted on May 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm (#)

I was once shipped a box of avocados. So, I made an avocado milkshake. It was good! It does taste good. Of course, chocolate and anything tastes good.

11. Kristin posted on May 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm (#)

I think I may trust you enough to try this. Just maybe…if a non-dessert-loving person can eat it, I probably can too!

12. lizy b posted on May 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm (#)

Huh…I have one of those husbands too. The kind that say hey’ll eat anything and call their wives picky eaters but really, they’re just as bad! He never, never eats my desserts….but I’ll bet he’d like these, he’s a sucker for avocado!

13. Back for Seconds posted on May 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm (#)

What’s up with your husband not eating your goodies? How does he resist them? Is it a weird super power?
    Anyway, I really love avacados and don’t think this is crazy at all! I am going to try this soon. Yum!

14. Jocelyn posted on May 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm (#)

I am a huge avocado fan…as you well know:-) I like them in muffins and in smoothies. I just know that I am going to LOVE this frosting!!! I have been wanting to make it and now that I know it is good, it is game on!!!

15. love2dine posted on May 3, 2012 at 12:04 am (#)

Your presentation is just always so stunning and your recipes, mouthwatering

16. Aimee posted on May 3, 2012 at 4:12 am (#)

I saw Jessica’s post with that frosting, but haven’t attempted it yet! Now that YOU endorse it? I may just give it a go!

17. Alyssa posted on May 3, 2012 at 5:08 am (#)

Wow, I am really intrigued. When I first opened your page, I was like what? Now, I am really curious to try it. I bet the avocado would be really good with the chocolate. It looks really good!

18. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on May 3, 2012 at 5:09 am (#)

LOL what is it with our men? Mine would never eat this, or anything I make of course, oh well, I so would! I love avocado!

19. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on May 3, 2012 at 6:29 am (#)

I have been intrigued by this idea since I first saw it but have yet pulled the trigger to make it.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Go for it! I’m kinda shocked I did, but it turned out good. :)

20. Julie posted on May 3, 2012 at 6:51 am (#)

OK- I have major faith in this being awesome due to having once had an avocado based brownie. And, I just love the color! Sadly, avocados are now on the list of allergy foods that could kill me, but I will gaze longingly at your photo and remember the good ol’ days when I could eat things. :-)

21. Hayley posted on May 3, 2012 at 9:00 am (#)

Given the fact that I am currently eating half an avocado with my breakfast eggs, I am admittedly, a little skeptical. But judging by the stuff I’ve tasted of yours, I am really intrigued to make this with the remaining ripe avo sitting on my counter. It looks REALLY good… almost like a guacamole on top of a chocolate cupcake–but I don’t mean that in a bad way! I mean it like, I love guac. And chocolate goes into savory dishes so why can’t avo go into cupcakes? OMG MY BRAIN IS THINKING OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It is really good! Light, sweet, and kinda refreshing. I know, my brain does that too. Somewhat good, somewhat annoying. :)

22. Michelles Tasty Creations posted on May 3, 2012 at 10:11 am (#)

Dorothy,

I have seen Avocados everywhere lately in dessert and breakfast recipes but have been to afraid to try them. Now I know I can try this recipe because you make amazing desserts all the time :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great day.

Michelle

23. Heather @ A Cupcake Love Affair posted on May 3, 2012 at 10:14 am (#)

Alright, you got me. I’m gonna give it a try and let you know! :)

24. Winnie posted on May 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm (#)

It sounds so crazy that I guess it must good
    I’m pinning this

25. Kristine posted on May 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm (#)

This sounds like it would be great with my Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes I make…..Yummy!!!

26. Anonymous posted on May 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#)

Wait…will this oxidize (turn brown when exposed to air for awhile) like guac does?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

No, it didn’t for me. They were in the fridge for a few days and they were still green!

27. Brenda posted on May 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm (#)

OK … I have heard of avocado in cupcakes and icing, but never could bring myself to try it. You have convinced me :)

28. Sue posted on May 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm (#)

I don’t think you’re crazy! I love avocados too, and love to eat them plain, with a little bit of salt, and maybe drizzled with olive oil(a tiny bit). I make avocado pie, but will now have to try this frosting!

29. So Domesticated posted on May 3, 2012 at 9:36 pm (#)

I’ve never tried avocado frosting… but I’ll definitely have to after reading your post!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

It’s good, if you like sweet and light frosting, it’s a go! :)

30. Dulce fresa posted on May 4, 2012 at 7:40 am (#)

Crazy idea! I never tried avocado frosting but I love the Avocado smoothie! So the frosting has to be delish!

31. folkhaven posted on May 4, 2012 at 8:11 am (#)

It looks and sounds amazing, but I am also wondering about the turning brown factor. Did your cupcakes hang around long enough to find out if it is an issue?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 4th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I didn’t have any brown issues. They were in my fridge for a few days before they all disappeared, and they were still green! :)

32. Diane Balch posted on May 4, 2012 at 8:13 am (#)

This is bizarre, but I have to try it. I watched an Alton Brown episode were he claimed that you can substitute avocado for anything that has butter…. hmmm,

33. myric andreasen posted on May 4, 2012 at 9:07 am (#)

My frieds thought I was crazy when I told them we eat avocado for dessert like ice cream in Philippines. I bet this taste great! I must try this recipe!

There is a link party going on in my blog. I would LOVE for you to share this :)

xoxo
    Myric

34. Mindie Hilton posted on May 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

I am very intrigued. I will try anything and I love avocado. Thanks for sharing.

35. Shiloh posted on May 4, 2012 at 5:05 pm (#)

I’ve just been looking for some avocado recipes, and this is super interesting, but I think I might go with something a little more traditional at first.:)

36. Ambreen posted on May 5, 2012 at 12:55 am (#)

Wow! So tempting and lovely frosting.

37. Heather Kinnaird posted on May 5, 2012 at 10:51 am (#)

I cannot wait to try this – we LOVE avocados!!

38. Thrifty Miss Smith posted on May 5, 2012 at 11:59 am (#)

weird.. but you make a good argument lol.. I love me some avocados.. I’ll have to try it :)

39. Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate posted on May 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm (#)

OK I checked the calendar and it’s not April 1 and I do remember Jocelyn’s cupcakes. I remember seeing a chocolate cake recipe that used sauerkraut so anything is possible. Can I pretend it’s pistachio maybe?

40. Anonymous posted on May 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm (#)

So will these keep in the fridge? Or i sit a frost and eat it type of thing? Cause of the brown nasty that happens when avo’s are exposed to air???

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 8th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

They lasted at least 4 days…that’s how long it took for me to eat them all. :)

41. Michele posted on May 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm (#)

i don’t think it is weird at all. avocado is delicious and works well with sweet things. thanks for including the recipe! glad i found you from the petite passions (myric) blog! xo

42. Jessica posted on May 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm (#)

Looks awesome!!! Mind if I share on my next Meatless Monday post for a post-cinco special???

Jessica

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 8th, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Not at all! So sorry for the delay in response. I’m a little behind. :)

43. Slice of Southern posted on May 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm (#)

Wow, what a unique recipe! I would have NEVER thought of avocados in an icing. Thanks for linking up to Southern Sundays at http://www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

44. Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot posted on May 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy,

I keep seeing your green cupcakes linked and just had to check them out. Of course, avocado! It’s full of full and creamy, why not try it in frosting?

I’d love for you to stop by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

45. Carrie Burrill posted on May 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm (#)

love love love this!

46. Crafty Mischief posted on May 6, 2012 at 9:57 pm (#)

This looks so weird. But I can’t wait to try it!

47. Six Sisters posted on May 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm (#)

Sounds interesting, but looks delicious!! We’re so glad you joined us for “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Thanks and come back soon!! -The Sisters

48. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm (#)

You know I think you’re crazy but if you tell me it’s good I believe you! I do love my avocados! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!
    –Trish

49. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com posted on May 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm (#)

I love avocado. I might want to bathe in it too.. hmmm. Haha.. YUM!

Thanks for linking up last week! You are being featured this week! :)

50. amy and jesse hudson posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm (#)

At first I wasn’t so into this but now I do think it would really be good! I was also kind of shocked to read about how your husband doesn’t eat your desserts but to hear that he is trying to be disciplined and healthy – I guess that is okay!

Thanks for sharing this at last week’s Drab to Fab party!

This week’s party is now live! Come on back and share more of what you have been working on! (Old or new)

Have a great weekend! :)

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

51. Polkadot-pretties posted on May 12, 2012 at 6:35 am (#)

Yummy yummy

Thank you for sharing.

Hope you will stop by and link up another fabulous recipe at craft create and inspire linky.

Claire x

52. lisacng posted on May 14, 2012 at 9:37 am (#)

I’m trying these this week.

53. lisacng posted on May 14, 2012 at 11:37 am (#)

Oh, and can I make this ahead of time and freeze the frosting, you think?

54. Jazmin Novoa posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm (#)

Having a Cupcake bake off and I’m definitely going to try this!!! i’ll be making two kinds, just in case…but this will def be my number one!! Cnat wait!! Love trying funky new things! and I think i got this one in the bag!! thanks!!!

55. Jazmin Novoa posted on August 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm (#)

oh what flavor cupcake should I use? chocolate?

56. Rose M. posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:54 pm (#)

hi dorothy! too funny, i just googled “avocado frosting” and up comes your blog. i saw the link and thought, “hmm that sounds like dorothy’s blog”. i’m thinking of tweaking this recipe for scarlett’s birthday cupcakes (the very hungry caterpillar). thanks for posting!!! hope you guys are well!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 5th, 2012 at 6:32 am

That is too funny Rose! It’s a great frosting, I hope you like it. What a fun party!

57. korry posted on September 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm (#)

yum! i made my husband a avocado cake 2 years ago for his bday and he liked it alot…my daughter is turning 3 this month and i was looking for the perfect frosting to go with her chocolate beet/chickpea cake..i think(more like hope) this will work! cant wait to try it!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 6th, 2012 at 6:36 am

I need to make avocado cake! This pairs awesome with chocolate. I hope you like it!

58. Pingback: What happens when avocados are on sale « the not quite chef

59. Pingback: Ghoulishly Green Halloween | Crazy for Crust

60. Pingback: Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

61. Pingback: The Perfect White Cake... In a Jar | Sugar Dish MeSugar Dish Me

62. Selma posted on May 1, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

how can you keep this green? don’t avocados turn dark? will make this one..my daughter loves avocados, will surprise her..

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 3:33 pm

It’s best the same day. It stayed green throughout the day, but was brown the next day. For better luck on it staying green, use a super fresh avocado, leave the pit in the bottom of the bowl, and if you cover/refrigerate it, use a darker container (not just plastic wrap). In the past, the recipes I’ve made stayed green longer, so I think my semi-unfresh avocado and my plastic wrap did me in. :)

63. Pingback: Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips - Crazy for Crust

64. Aqiyl Aniys posted on March 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm (#)

Whoa, avocado frosting! Totally original, at least they are for me. I would love to taste them right now.

65. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting |

66. Anika posted on July 28, 2014 at 6:15 am (#)

Sorry to say I hated the frosting. It does have a nice colour but it tastes just like avocado with sugar. I had to throw it away.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 28th, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’m sorry Anika! To me it had a very citrusy taste – but the sugar got me away from the avocado. I guess it’s all about preference! I have plenty of good regular frostings I’m sure you’ll love. :)