Mar 06

Dr. Seuss Snacks

Is it totally inappropriate to serve 7-year-olds smoothies in shot glasses?

Don’t answer that, too late. I already did.

Last Friday was Dr. Seuss’ birthday.  I know, this post is late. But I had an excuse. Plus, I made it, I served it, and it deserved to be posted. Dr. Seuss is good anytime, not just on March 2nd. (Please agree with me. Or pretend that you do?)

I thought about trying to rhyme this post like Hayley did. But, unlike Hayley who says she can’t rhyme but totally can, I really can’t. Ask me to find something that rhymes with “dog” and I’ll start out okay (log, jog, fog…) but then resort to using made-up words like tog or wog or zog just to make it fit my theme.

But I guess, for Dr. Seuss, that might work?

Anyway.

I’ve always loved Dr. Seuss books. I think The Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham are my favorites. You all know how much I love to read. I bake, eat, breathe, and read. Pretty much in that order.

Now that Jordan is in the first grade, reading is part of her life. I’ll never forget last year when she brought home her first reader and actually could read it to me. Sure, it had like, five words, but still. She could read!

I’ve always looked forward to that time when my daughter and I could curl up on the couch, me with the latest John Grisham novel and her with Little House on the Prairie and we could read, silent side by side. Harmonious, while angels would sing and unicorns would fly around our backyard.

And well, then Jordan was born. And it was (and is) painfully apparent that that scenario will rarely happen. Reading is “boring” and not active enough. I mean, you can’t bounce on the trampoline, swing like a monkey from the pull-up bar, eat a snack, and watch Good Luck Charlie while reading a Magic Treehouse book, now can you?

However, she loves Dr. Seuss. She’s finally gotten to the point in her reading skills that she can (and wants) to read them. She laughs over the rhymes and even does voices for the characters. “Would you COULD you in a car?”

Honestly, I don’t think I would like green eggs. Um, can you say rotten? But these green eggs? These I could eat by the fistful.

The idea for these green eggs and ham came from The Girl Who Ate Everything. I saw her cute green eggs and ham on Pinterest. I did mine a little differently. Can you guess what my eggs are made of ? I bet it’s not to hard to guess, if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time.

Mini Nutter Butters! I know, I know. For some strange reason, you cannot get Nutter Butters in Canada. Come on Canada, get with the program. Your people deserve Nutter Butters! If you can’t find this delectable cookie, use mini Oreos.

The Cat in the Hat Smoothie is a play off of something I found on the Betty Crocker website. A layered strawberry milkshake. Instead of ice cream, I used Cool Whip. But if your kid is like mine and can’t stand whipped cream (um, if I didn’t have absolute proof she was my daughter I would think the doctor messed up during embryo transfer), you can use ice cream.

And there you have it. The worlds tastiest Green Eggs and Ham and a cat smoothie, not to be confused with a smoothie made with a cat. (Ew.)

Dr. Seuss Snacks

For the Green Eggs and Ham
  • Mini Nutter Butters (or Oreos)
  • Vanilla Almond Bark
  • Mini green M&Ms
  • Pretzel sticks
  • For The Cat in the Hat Smoothie
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
  • Apple juice, as much as needed to blend the frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup Cool Whip
  • Splash of milk to thin the Cool Whip

For the Green Eggs and Ham
  1. Melt the Vanilla Almond Bark according to package directions, adding a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil to thin it if it's too thick. Dip your cookies in the melted candy, tapping to remove excess. Place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. Top with a mini green M&M and chill to harden. Serve with pretzel stick "ham".
  2. For The Cat in the Hat Smoothie
  3. Place strawberries in a blender. If you are using frozen strawberries, add enough apple juice so that they can be blended to a liquid. (If you are using fresh you may not need to add any juice.)
  4. Mix the Cool Whip with a dash of milk to thin, so that it is slightly pour-able.
  5. Layer the Cool Whip with the blended strawberries in a 2 ounce shot glass, white on the bottom. (Makes about 4.)

by Crazy for Crust
Inspired by The Girl Who Ate Everything and Betty Crocker
Have a Linky Party you want me to join? Add it HERE.
These are the fabulous parties I link to each week:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsCreative Monday (Clairejustineoxox), Mix it Up Monday (Flour Me With Love), Things that make you say mmmm Monday (Cooking with Karyn), Mop it Up Mondays (I should be mopping the floors), Show me what you got (Our Delightful Home). Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy’s Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training), Trick or Treat Tuesday (Inside BruCrew Life), Let’s Do Brunch (My Sweet & Savory), Love on High HeatWednesdayMrs. Fox’s Sweet Party (Mrs. Fox’s Sweets), Cast Party Wednesday (Lady Behind the Curtain), Famous Linkz Par-tay (Made-Famous-By), Bakes with Bizzy (Bizzy Bakes), From Dream to Reality (DIY Dreamer), Whip it Up Wednesday (Crockpot Ladies).  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh), Sweet Temptations (Talking Dollars and Cents), Taking a Timeout Thursday (Mom on Timeout), Things I’ve Done Thursday (BearRabbitBear), (RHW Recipe Round-Up) The Real Housewives of Riverton, BFF Open House (The Answer is Chocolate), Recipe Round Up (Eat, Pray, Read, Love). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I’m Lovin’ it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Latest & Greatest Friday (Days of Chalk and Chocolate), Bacon Time, Fusion Friday (Jane Deere Blog), Foodie Friday (Not Your Ordinary Recipes), Dwell on JoyFun Finds Friday (Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons), Sugar and SpiceSaturdayCountry Mom CooksSweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos), You inspire me (Polka Dot Pretties). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters’ Stuff), Recipe Party (The Sweet Spot), Seasonal/Occasional Linkys: Moms Crazy CookingSouthern Mom CooksCheap Crafty MommaSusie QTSpringtime Holiday Link Party (Michelle Paige)

61 Responses to “Dr. Seuss Snacks”

1. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on March 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm (#)

This is so cute–just perfect for kiddos. Or you know, ME.

2. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on March 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm (#)

What a fun idea! I love those stripey smoothies. Can we still be friends if I tell you I have never had a Nutter Butter?

• Lindy Camacho replied on March 2nd, 2013 at 5:45 am

Robin, I’m sure she’ll say YES!

3. Laura McNamara posted on March 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm (#)

I saw something lie this on pinterest and i LOVED it. SOooo cute and I am sure kiddies love it.

4. odetoinspiration posted on March 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm (#)

Very cute idea!

5. Susan-The Weekly Sweet Experiment posted on March 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm (#)

Cute! Love the shot glass- start them young :)

6. Jacqueline posted on March 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm (#)

Darling post, Dorothy! What fun ideas!

7. Kristin posted on March 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm (#)

Those are some cute treats. I may be the only person in the world who thinks this, but I don’t like Dr. Seuss. Never have, and probably never will. However, I’m all about kids reading :) and I’d never (ever) turn down a Nutter Butter.

8. rebecca @ beurrista posted on March 7, 2012 at 4:10 am (#)

adorable! your kids must love it.

9. AndiWinslow posted on March 7, 2012 at 5:41 am (#)

This is a big “like” cute post with fun things for the kids andi

10. Abby posted on March 7, 2012 at 6:35 am (#)

This is so cute! You are such a creative mom.

11. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on March 7, 2012 at 6:36 am (#)

Firstly, there is no wrong time for a Dr Seuss treat. Secondly, shot glasses are the perfect size for kids, just make sure you save the “good” shots for yourself, or for them just before bed time. Thirdly, thank you, us Canadians so need nutter butters, our butts will thank you, or not. And lastly, so cute, I think I need to remember this for next year.

12. Hayley posted on March 7, 2012 at 7:44 am (#)

I agree with Sue, above ^! Never a wrong time for Dr. Seuss. When my grandma was still alive she’d always cook me up scrambled green eggs and it is still one of my fondest childhood memories. However, I love your adaptation with Nutter Butters. Peanut butter cookies are protein too, right?! Right! And the striped smoothies are awesome!! Though I’m still not sure how I feel about your daughter not liking whipped cream. You’re SURE she’s human, right?? I kid. That’s probably how people think of me when they realize I don’t like chocolate too much, either. All good in the hood!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 7th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Protein yes sir! It says so right on the jar. And I often wonder if she’s human – what kid doesn’t like whipped cream???? :)

13. Anonymous posted on March 7, 2012 at 8:12 am (#)

Very cute and creative. The shot glasses are just the right size for little hands (like those little Kraft cheese glasses). I’m sure she loved it. As for the “not liking whipped cream”, tastes change as you mature.
    Mom :}

14. MrsFoxsSweets posted on March 7, 2012 at 9:24 am (#)

This is just TOO COOL! LOVE IT!

15. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on March 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm (#)

are you the coolest mom EVER! Do you wear a badge that says that?? if not you SHOULD

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 7th, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Trish. Maybe I should make us all buttons? We could wear them proudly and embarrass our kids. ;)

16. Sue posted on March 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm (#)

What fun treats! I especially love how you did the smoothie:) Yep, Dr. Seuss is great for ANY day of the year! I bet you will be sitting side by side with your daughter reading one of these days…you just wait:)

17. Jocelyn posted on March 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm (#)

That is adorable and good for anytime of year!!!! Cool mom, yes!!!

(I have to agree with your daughter though…cool whip is better:-)

18. Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com posted on March 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm (#)

CUTE!!! Just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party…would LOVE for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_08.html

19. Mama Jodi posted on March 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm (#)

Really clever ideas. Love the visual pop of it all too.

20. Run DMT posted on March 9, 2012 at 6:20 am (#)

I made Green Eggs and Ham last week too!

I wish I was as clever as you and made the layered strawberry milkshake or yogurt parfait. Totally pinning this idea! You are genius!!! xox

I host a foodie meme called Friday Food Fight. I would love for you to link up and share your Dr. Seuss treats. I hope to see you in the ring!

21. Sarah posted on March 9, 2012 at 7:54 am (#)

Dorothy – I Love this! Thanks for sharing at Dwell on Friday!

22. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear posted on March 9, 2012 at 8:59 am (#)

Leave it to you to do something this adorable and awesome!! Thanks for sharing at Things I’ve Done Thursday! http://www.bearrabbitbear.com

23. Jenny Melrose posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#)

The smoothies looked delicious. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesday at The NY Melrose Family. I can’t wait to see what you share next week.

24. http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ posted on March 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm (#)

super duper cute.

25. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on March 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm (#)

Sooo much fun! Just pinned this! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

26. amy and jesse hudson posted on March 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm (#)

I am so glad you linked this up to y Drab to Fab party!! Wanted to let you know I am featuring you this week!
    This week’s party is up, so I’d love to see more of your great stuff!

Have a great one!

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

27. skull shot glass posted on July 22, 2012 at 8:19 am (#)

adorable! your kids must love it.

28. pioneers posted on February 19, 2013 at 10:20 am (#)

If you are short on time or doing with a large group (we did this last year in pre-k with 27 kids) just spoon small blobs of white frosting on top of the pretzel sticks and top with the green m&m, looks the same, much quicker! Another thing we do is Horton biscuits with pilsbury biscuit dough. Use 2 circles per child. 1 for the elephant face, the other split into 3 pieces, 2 curves for the ears, and 1 straight piece for the truck. use m&ms for the eyes, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I love that biscuit idea! SO cute!

29. Pingback: Learning with Dr. Seuss: 100+ Free Dr. Seuss Themed Printables, Crafts, Recipes, and Activities | Free Homeschool Deals ©

30. Pingback: Fun Books, Movies and Crafts with Dr. Seuss

31. Pingback: Some Ideas for Dr. Seuss’s Birthday | Chaos Served Daily

32. Pingback: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss

33. Pingback: Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ 109th Birthday in Spanish! » Growing Up Bilingual | Growing Up Bilingual

34. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama posted on March 3, 2013 at 9:37 pm (#)

Such a fun idea!! Thanks for sharing :) I also wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog today: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2013/03/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-71.html

35. Pingback: Thing 1 & Thing 2 Push Up Pops | The Domestic Rebel

36. Pingback: Easy Green Smoothie - Something Swanky

37. Pingback: Fun Books, Movies and Crafts with Dr. Seuss

38. Pingback: 9 Creative Ways to Celebrate Dr. Seuss's Birthday - Make and Takes

39. Pingback: 30 Dr. Seuss Snack Ideas and Recipes | Mother's Home

40. Pingback: FREE List of Dr. Seuss Activities and Printables: Cat in the Hat + More! | Free Homeschool Deals ©

41. Pingback: Celebrate Dr. Seuss' Birthday - Daily Dish Magazine

42. Pingback: 15 Seuss Inspired Snacks and Treats

43. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans | Baron Post

44. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans | Ezines.in

45. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans

46. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans | buzzia

47. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans | HK Gossip News Online

48. Tabitha posted on March 3, 2014 at 8:44 am (#)

Made the “Green Eggs and Ham” with my daughter to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday last night. It was a fairly easy activity to do with her which was nice. She had the pleasure of picking green M&M’s from a large bag of them, as well as dropping mini Oreos into the almond bark. We used regular sized milk chocolate M&M’s and allotted 5 pretzel sticks for ham for each green egg. We had fun eating them too. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad she helped you. It’s so much fun to get them involved! :)

49. Pingback: 21 Delicious Treats For Dr. Seuss Fans | All Gossip News