Oct 27

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Surprise Cookies (12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies)

peanut butter caramel chocolate chip cookies | crazyforcrust.com

Remember when you turned 21 and stopped at a 7-eleven just to get a Zima because you were so excited to get carded? And, for awhile, you got a little thrill each time you had to show the waiter your drivers license when imbibing? Until one day you’re at the grocery store in your old sweatpants and spit-up stained shirt, hair all stuck up in a ponytail, toddler running berserk around the candy display, buying a bottle of cheap wine and the cashier picks up the bottle, gives you one look, and checks you out without a mention of ID. And you realize, wow, I look over 30?

Yeah, that moment happened a long time ago for me.

I don’t even think about it anymore, not getting carded. But when I do get asked to show proof I’m over 21? It’s a little shocking, if you really want to know the truth.

Last week I went to Costco and purchased, among other things, an industrial-sized bag of toilet paper, eight pounds of butter, and two bottles of the best tasting cheapest wine on the market. And I got carded.

My first thought was, he must have to card everyone.

Then he told me I didn’t look a day over 22, at which point I burst out laughing. (I know he was probably kidding.)

And then he asked me my secret to having such young looking skin.

Duh, dude. Look in the cart. Wine and butter, fruit of the Gods, the fountain of youth.

You know what else belongs in that category? Peanut butter and chocolate.

And caramel. Surprise!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Caramel Surprise Cookies

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Surprise Cookies (12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies)

• 1 cup peanut butter
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
  • 12-15 caramel squares, unwrapped

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
  2. Mix peanut butter, brown sugar, baking soda, and egg in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Scoop about a tablespoon and a half of dough into your hands. Flatten a little and place an (unwrapped) caramel in the center. Wrap the cookie up around the caramel square and place on cookie sheet, sealed side up (just in case it leaks).
  4. Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet before removing to rack to cool completely.
Yield: about 12-14 large cookies

This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy’s Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark’s Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy), Tastetastic Thursday (A little nosh). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I’m Lovin’ it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Strut your Stuff Saturday (Six Sisters’ Stuff)

22 Responses to “Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Surprise Cookies (12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies)”

1. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on October 27, 2011 at 10:37 am (#)

You just gave me the biggest laugh today, thank you! I sometimes question the 18 year old cashier if they ask me for my ID. I’m like do I look that young. But what kills me is when they look at my ID and they see I’m almost 37, and they say I didn’t think you were that old, lol! I’m like geez thanks, now you are calling me old? Anyways, love, love, love these cookies! I need some now to keep me looking under 21! :)

2. ms.composure posted on October 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm (#)

um those cookies look AMAZING! and those pictures are gr8! thanks for sharing

3. The Poet Herself posted on October 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm (#)

I don’t care if they’re doing it because they have to or not: I still prefer to be carded. ;) What a great surprise in those cookies! :)

4. Amilia @justeverydayme posted on October 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm (#)

Haha too funny! These cookies look incredible..definitely going to have to try making them sometime soon!

5. kita posted on October 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm (#)

Lmao “Wine and butter, fruit of the Gods, the fountain of youth.” that has got to be printed on something so we can slap it all over pinterest. And these cookies can get up there with it :)

6. Kristin posted on October 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm (#)

Looks so gooey and yummy! Coincidentally I was just getting ready to send you the Versatile Blogger Award ;). Look for it on my site probably next week!

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm (#)

@Jennifer @ Mother Thyme
    They actually say that? Amazing! Thanks for your comment. :)

@Ms. Composure
    Thank you so much! :)

8. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm (#)

@Amilia @justeverydayme
    Thanks! If you make them, let me know what you think. :)

@kita
    LOL! Thanks Maybe I’ll make a printable. :)

@Kristin
    Thanks! Now…do I have to find 60 new bloggers? ;) LOL

9. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on October 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm (#)

yum yum yum!

10. Michael Ann posted on October 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm (#)

Rachel Ray mag has desserts? Ha! Anyhow, these look totally wonderful! I just made my fav recipe for peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies and they are great, but man, the addition of this caramel surprise takes it to a whole new level!

11. The Better Baker posted on October 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm (#)

Man oh man (or Woman oh Woman as the case may be!) These look mouth-watering and I want one NOW. Some of my most favorite flavors wrapped up in this little puppy. Pinning for now and making these before the holidays I’m sure. Thanks -

12. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 28, 2011 at 11:43 am (#)

@The Better Baker
    Thanks! I know, chocolate+peanut butter+caramel = bliss. :)

13. BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} posted on October 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm (#)

These cookies look and sound amazing! I love caramel with peanut butter and chocolate.

14. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm (#)

@BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced}
    Thank you! I love them so much too. :)

15. Amy posted on October 29, 2011 at 5:55 am (#)

Love the surprise. Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

16. Kristin posted on October 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm (#)

Not 60 bloggers, just 10! I’ll post it 10/31.

17. Joy @ Joy Of Desserts posted on October 31, 2011 at 12:23 pm (#)

You’re welcome for the award, Dorothy, and no worries about when to blog about it. I know you are moving and totally understand a busy life too. These cookies sound fabulous to me. I love all these tasty ingredients. Have a good move and a Happy Halloween. I can’t wait for Christmas! :-)

18. Jerri posted on November 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm (#)

These look scrumptious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I’m featuring you again this week!

19. Lisa posted on November 4, 2011 at 1:21 am (#)

Oohhh, anyone would love a surprise like that.

20. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on November 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm (#)

I am not kidding…I could take these away from a baby and not feel a bit bad. Well..ok maybe not a baby but I have to say it would cross my mind! YUM x infinity!

21. Debbie Fecak posted on November 27, 2013 at 7:01 am (#)

Really no flour? They sound awesome.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 27th, 2013 at 7:20 am

I know! I love the “easy” peanut butter cookie recipe. So many variations!