Sep 16

Ice Cream Buttercream Frosting

Being a kid today is so different than back when I was growing up. While things like Barbie, Disney, and My Little Pony are still around (although modernized), so many things have changed since we were kids. Which is why I was thinking the other day about all the things my 6-year-old daughter says to me that I never anticipated coming out of her mouth at such a young age.

“Mommy, take my picture!” (As she poses when I pull out my phone in the grocery line. Oh, and the fact I have a phone in my purse.)

“Will you upload that to Facebook?” (After I’ve taken the requested picture.)

“Who was that texting you?”

“Why can’t we fast-forward this commercial??!!” (Because, shock of all shocks, we are watching live TV.)

“Mommy, I know how to get to pbskids.org. You don’t need to help me.” (Uttered when she was barely 5.)

“What’s a VCR?”

“Why can’t you just play the Selena Gomez song I want in the car?” (Uh, ‘cuz radio is LIVE.)

“I want to have a blog too someday.”

And then there are the constant recipe requests, like this one:

“Mommy, can you make some cupcakes and somehow make frosting using ice cream?”

Which led me to this recipe.

She asked me that question a few weeks ago. I initially thought she meant for me to use ice cream as the frosting but I was wrong. She wanted ice cream in the frosting. As just a component of it. I figured, why not?

The beauty of this frosting is that you can make it whatever flavor you want. I used mint chip because I liked how the green would show for photography purposes. Also, mint chip ice cream has a very distinct flavor and I wanted to be able to see if I could actually taste the ice cream. And you can. It’s amazing! I can’t wait to make this frosting with other flavors of ice cream.

I thought it would be cute to serve them in ice cream cone wrappers. I used this template, printed it on brown card stock and used a crayon to make the sugar cone marks. Then tape the wrapper into a circular shape and place your cupcake inside.

Make sure to taste your frosting as you are adding the powdered sugar (I’ve made note of this in the recipe instructions). Some ice cream flavors or brands are sweeter than others. You also need to chill this frosting for awhile before attempting to decorate your cupcakes. Otherwise it’s too runny to hold up.

Ice Cream Buttercream Frosting

Yield: enough frosting for about 12 cupcakes.

• ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 12 ounces (about ¾ cup) melted ice cream, any flavor (I used 2 single serving size cups of mint chip)
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • ¼ cups mini chocolate chips or other garnish to reflect your ice cream flavor

1. Using a hand mixture in a large bowl, beat butter and ice cream until lumps are gone. Slowly beat in powdered sugar, starting with 3 cups and working up to 4 depending on the sweetness of your ice cream. Here’s the hard part – chill for at least one hour before frosting cupcakes. Sprinkle with garnish.

What things do your kids say that remind you the 2000s are so not your 90s? (Or 80s or 70s or ??)

This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark’s Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I’m Lovin’ it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home), Fusion Friday (Jane Deere). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)

21 Responses to “Ice Cream Buttercream Frosting”

1. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on September 16, 2011 at 8:04 am (#)

Love this! It’s a great idea to use single serve ice cream, that way you don’t have to have a whole carton of the flavor you want to use. These are super adorable with the wrappers!

My kids will use their play phones to send a text to grandma and any time I hold up my phone my youngest is already saying cheese with a big grin!

2. The Poet Herself posted on September 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm (#)

Crazy what comes out of their mouths, isn’t it? My 6-year-old is always surprising me with things I never thought I’d hear my own child say.

This idea is a fabulous one. Ice cream in frosting? Fantastic! I bet it tastes great, too!

3. The Better Baker posted on September 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm (#)

You’re a pretty smart cookie…er, uh…mommy! Grand idea inspired by a wee one. Love it!

4. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on September 17, 2011 at 6:00 am (#)

Love this post, Dorothy! So sweet. I don’t have kids yet … but my husband and I always joke about, when we were kids, actually having to get up to the answer the phone (because it was permantly hooked to the wall!) and that WE were our parents’ TV remote control.

5. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 17, 2011 at 7:15 am (#)

@Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos
    That’s exactly why I did it that way, because I knew if I had a whole carton of Mint Chip in the freezer I’d eat the whole thing! My daughter tries to do that too – but when I tell her Grandma doesn’t text she gets confused. :)

6. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 17, 2011 at 7:15 am (#)

@The Poet Herself
    Thank you for your comment! I was happy it tastes just like ice cream. :)

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 17, 2011 at 7:52 am (#)

@The Better Baker
    Thanks! I have a feeling she’s going to own her own bakery some day…

@Tracey
    Oh, I forgot about the phone! Totally anchored to the wall. I remember stretching that cord around and around… :) Thanks for your comment!

8. Ann posted on September 17, 2011 at 9:27 am (#)

That’s pretty cool…it’s amazing how many things have changed! I remember when my parents went to the BANK to write a check for CASH!

9. Kim McCallie posted on September 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm (#)

Your daughter sounds like my sons. They’re six and eight and know it all! I love the idea of the ice cream buttercream. I’ll bet it’s delicious. It’s also really cute the way you made the “cones”. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

10. Mary posted on September 18, 2011 at 5:39 am (#)

I really like the frosting and will try it the next time I make a cake or cupcakes. This is my first visit to your blog, so I’ve taken some time to browse through your earlier entries. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely br back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

11. Polly posted on September 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm (#)

I’ve never seen a recipe using ice cream as icing. Thanks! I just posted a recipe for meatloaf that was SO good if you’re interested.

12. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 19, 2011 at 7:07 am (#)

@Ann
    LOL! My mom and dad actually still do that (they don’t believe in ATMs!) Thanks for reading. :)

@Kim McCallie
    Thanks! I figured ice cream needs a cone. :) Thank you to you for hosting.

13. Allison @ Alli 'n Son posted on September 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm (#)

This is brilliant! I’m so doing this the next time I make frosting.

Thanks for stopping by Sweet Tooth Friday!

14. Lauren posted on September 22, 2011 at 5:24 am (#)

Saw your post at Sweet Indulgences–this sounds really yummy. I don’t have kids, but I remember My Little Pony and what is up with Strawberry Shortcake now? My plumbing always makes is sound like the phone’s ringing when I’m in the shower and I have to stop and remind myself that my phone doesn’t actually ring!

15. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 22, 2011 at 6:52 am (#)

@Lauren
    LOL, that’s too funny! Strawberry Shortcake is still around, but she’s less baby looking now (as all the toys from back when). Thanks for reading!

16. BadTable Manor posted on May 27, 2012 at 10:02 am (#)

Your frosting looks beautiful! Did you strain out the chocolate bits that were already in the mint n chip ice cream? I don’t see any chips mixed in. Can’t wait to top my brownie cupcakes with this!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 29th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I didn’t strain them out, now that you mention it I’m wondering where they went, lol. I used a small single-serve container, they must have been small chips and they blended themselves up when mixing. :) Enjoy!

17. Connie posted on October 10, 2012 at 10:57 am (#)

Just wondering, how well does the frosting hold up on the cupcakes once frosted? I’m thinking about making a rootbeer float cupcake and am looking for an ice cream frosting, but these guys need to travel and it would not be good if they melted everywhere!

Great entry!!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 10th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

The frosting is thinner than a normal frosting, because the ice cream is melted. If it’s stored in the refrigerator, it’s good. But after it’s out for awhile it will get soft. I would say, for traveling, to be safe, maybe go with a super vanilla-et creamy frosting to pair with the root beer cupcake! My favorite recipe is 1 cup of butter, 4 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, and 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Wonderfully vanilla and fluffy!

• Karen replied on September 6th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I had a crazy idea that maybe someone has come up with a frosting using ice cream so I could use it on orange dreamsicle cupcakes that I wanted to bake inside an ice cream cone. Thank you for making my crazy idea a reality. My cone cakes came out great! My grandchildren thought they were the best thing they had ever eaten. Probably because their Mom and Dad won’t let them normally eat something made with so much sugar. (Poor babies good parents)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Yay!! I’m so glad! What a great idea too, the orange dreamsicle. YUM!