Aug 17

Almond Roca Cake Pops

Does how one eats something define who they are? Because, if that’s the case, I may be in trouble.

I am a strange eater. First of all, I’m picky. It’s been downgraded from “seriously picky” to “moderately picky” but still finicky, nonetheless. I don’t like condiments. I don’t like most fruit. Cooked leafy vegetables make me shudder. (I haven’t, however, ever met a carb I didn’t like…which figures.)

Besides being picky, I like to dismantle my food. I like to eat the best part last. (I’m the same way at the dinner table; vegetables get eaten first, followed by meat, then the pasta/potatoes/rice.) However, “saving the best part for last” is a bit difficult when you’re eating, say, a bean burrito (no sauce, no onions) from Taco Bell.

I mean, the best part of a Taco Bell Bean Burrito is the tortilla. Sans beans. Duh.

You can probably imagine how I manage to eat the tortilla last. It does not involve a spork, although that might be a more appropriate way to eat something in a public restaurant. I eat the beans first, then the tortilla. It’s a bit vampirish.

How do you eat a Reese’s? I like the peanut butter best, so I save it for last. That entails eating the chocolate off the outside first.

Let’s not even discuss Oreos or Peanut M&Ms. It might make you think I’m really strange.

Enter Almond Roca. I’ve loved that candy since I was a little girl. My husband loves them too. To me, the best part of an Almond Roca is the toffee. So, if you’re following along, that means eating the chocolate and almonds first.

When I was creating the dessert table for my husbands’ birthday party, I thought about putting a bunch of Almond Roca in a fancy vase. But I was already doing that with M&Ms and Reese’s. So my mind turned to cake pops and the idea for these came to me.

To make them more like Almond Roca I added toffee bits into the cake mixture. I then dipped them in milk chocolate and sprinkled the pops with toasted almonds. The toffee adds a little crunch inside the cake pop, a nice surprise when you’re expecting just a bite of cake. Of course, the almonds add crunch too. But, because I’m me, I ate the almonds first. Since the center of a cake pop is the best part, of course.

What can I say? I eat things weird. Wait a minute. What does that say about me?? (Don’t answer that!)

How do you eat an Almond Roca?
Almond Roca Cake Pops
Almond Roca Cake Pops

Yield: About 40 Cake Pops, depending on size.

• 1 box chocolate cake mix, with eggs, oil, and water called for on box
  • 1 can vanilla frosting
  • 1 bag Hershey’s Heath Toffee Bits
  • 2 bags (about 14 ounces each) milk chocolate candy melts or almond bark
  • 1 cup almonds, chopped and toasted

1. Mix ingredients and bake cake as directed on box for a 9x13 cake. Cool completely before making pops (preferably overnight).
  2. Crumble cake into a large bowl. Make sure it is a fine crumb. Add the bag of toffee bits and stir. Add frosting to the mixture a little at a time (about 1/4 cup) and mix into cake crumbs. You will use about ¾ of the can. Form into desired sized balls (I use a cookie scoop for this) and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes and then move tray to refrigerator. (You can make the balls a day ahead and refrigerate, not freeze, overnight.)
  3. Melt your chocolate (I like to start with one bag and add more as needed). If you are making pops, gather your lollipop sticks.
  4. Work in small batches so the balls stay cold. I like to remove 2 or 3 from the refrigerator at a time. Dip your lollipop stick into the melted chocolate (about ½ inch), then stick in a cake ball. Then dip the entire ball into the chocolate. Be sure the chocolate is deep enough for the entire ball. Do not swirl the pop in the chocolate. If needed, use a spoon to finish covering the pop. Remove from chocolate and, holding the pop in one hand, gently tap that wrist with your other hand to remove excess chocolate. Place upright in a styrafoam block. If you are making balls, just dip into the bowl of chocolate, remove and place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
  5. While the pop/ball is still wet, sprinkle with toasted chopped almonds. Refrigerate to set. They can be made ahead and frozen. Serve room temperature.
Recipe by Crazy for Crust
This recipe will be linked with:
Tuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark’s Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life

21 Responses to “Almond Roca Cake Pops”

1. Something Swanky posted on August 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm (#)

yummmmmmmmm! You DO sound like an eating weirdo, but that doesn’t really affect my enjoyment of your blog, so I can be okay with that :)

2. Christy G posted on August 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm (#)

Yea – I’m not the only one in the world! My hubby is a lover of all foods, but like you, I’m picky and have very similar quarks. Take foods apart, no warm slimy lettuce for me-thankyouverymuch!, Reese’s (any candy bar, actually) eaten by biting tiny bits of the chocolate off bit by bit (after 7 years, hubby still finds it amusing to watch this)- carefully leaving the yummy goodness to be savored. Yep, I get it completely.

3. Anonymous posted on August 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm (#)

These were wonderful…no matter how you ate them!
    Mom

4. shopannies posted on August 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm (#)

looks like perfect after school snack

5. Debbie posted on August 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm (#)

You’re so weird.

KIDDING!lol – I loved it and find it very funny how you eat things. I just pop the the whole thing in my mouth, or take a big ole bite. And I really want to make some cake pops. I’ve seen them alot, and they look so heavenly.

6. Lark (SparkyLarky)@ Lark's Country Heart posted on August 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm (#)

These are making my mouth water!
    So glad you linked them up to “Made it on Monday”

7. laurie posted on August 18, 2011 at 7:11 am (#)

These look awesome! I could eat one or two. Ok maybe 5.

8. Erin posted on August 18, 2011 at 7:52 am (#)

These look so delicious!!! And you’re so right about the Reeses Peanut Butter cup! The peanut butter is the best part and SHOULD be eaten last! =o)

9. June Scott posted on August 18, 2011 at 10:36 am (#)

These look wonderful, Dorothy! Thanks for sharing your method!

10. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on August 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm (#)

@Christy G
    Yippee! I’m not the only one!!! :) I knew I wasn’t alone out there.
    Thanks for your comment!

@laurie
    Oh, yes. Go for 5. I’ve eaten WAY more than that! :)

11. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on August 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm (#)

@Erin
    Thanks for validating my quirkiness! I knew I wasn’t the only one. :)

12. The Whimsical Wife posted on August 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm (#)

I am so glad i stumbled across your blog! I love your recipes! Yum

13. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on August 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm (#)

@The Whimsical Wife
    Thank you! That’s so nice of you to say. :)

14. KB posted on August 19, 2011 at 12:51 am (#)

Looks delish.

We’d love you to share your recipes with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

15. Becca Watson posted on August 20, 2011 at 1:51 am (#)

Love almond roca! My mom makes it every year for Christmas. Its my favorite part about the holidays! I’ll have to give this a try!!

16. Trish posted on August 20, 2011 at 7:49 am (#)

That looks so yummy! Really a great idea – thanks for sharing!

17. Amy posted on August 21, 2011 at 10:24 am (#)

I love cake pops and these are unique flavor and I love almond roca a lot! I gotta make these soon for my next gathering. yum.

My blog just turned 1 and I’m hosting a giveaway on my blog as a way to say thank you for your supports in the past year. Please come over to check it out if you’re interested. http://utry.it

18. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on August 21, 2011 at 7:39 pm (#)

@Amy
    I hope you enjoy them!

Happy Blogiversary! Congrats on 1 year. I will be sure to stop by. :)

19. Pingback: Rocky Road Nutella Pudding Cookies - Crazy for Crust

20. PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad posted on April 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm (#)

Hahaha.. I’m glad I’m not the only weird eater. Since I was little I always saved the best part of things for last. Seriously, how do people NOT do that?! Like cinnamon rolls… I always eat all around and then save the center for last. And I totally do the same thing with the reese’s pb cups. It’s the other people who are weird!

I’ve haven’t made cake pops yet, but funny story: my mom swears she created the cake pop. Says it was her idea years ago and after she did it, they started popping up everywhere. Just thought I’d throw that out there. Every time I see a cake pop now I think, “there’s mom getting screwed again”. haha

These look great though. I have to try a cake pop some time.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 15th, 2013 at 6:41 am

LOL! That’s too funny. Your mom could have been Bakerella!