Remember when I posted my mom’s banana bread recipe a few days ago? And I talked about how that batter is the best raw batter ever (if you’re into being a batter connoisseur, which I am)? I mentioned the #2 slot would go to a cookie recipe I’d post soon? Well. Here you go, my friends. My chocolate chip cookie recipe. A.K.A “The best raw cookie batter ever.”
You’re welcome. I aim to please.
Chocolate chip cookies are one of those things like pillows and how you take your coffee and underwear: each person has their own personal preference. I hope that these cookies will become your preference. Because they sure are mine!
I’m not a huge fan of cookies that are greasy. I don’t want to have to blot my food with a paper towel before I eat it. I like a soft center, with a solid exterior. I think that these cookies have managed to overcome all my pickiness on this matter. They are delicious! And the best thing about the batter is that it is so versatile. Just in the mood for chocolate chips? No problem. Want to add some nuts or mix-ins? Go ahead. They’ll still taste great.
For this cookie, I wanted something more than just basic chocolate chip. I was taking them to a potluck and I knew that there would be tons of other cookies there, most likely Costco-bought packages of chocolate chip. So I added M&Ms, because who doesn’t love M&Ms? I used the Easter plain ones, well, because honestly? They were on clearance. But next time I want to try using the pretzel ones.
What? You’ve never tried pretzel M&Ms? Oh, my friend. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried Pretzel M&Ms. Go out and get some. Go out now. I beg of you.
Sorry, got sidetracked there….where was I? Oh, I also wanted nuts and was in the mood for almonds, so I added those. Add whatever kind you like or have on hand.
And, really. Try to get some of the cookies baked. Don’t just eat the batter. It’s hard, I know. But you’ll thank me later.
M&M Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 sticks butter
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup M&Ms (any kind)
1 cup chopped almonds
1. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Pour into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
2. While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
3. Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips, M&Ms, and chopped almonds; stir to combine.
4. Chill for 30 minutes to one hour, until cooled.
5. Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on size). Cookies made from my 2-tablespoon cookie scoop baked in 11 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from pans to cool completely.