Make drop cream biscuits and sandwich them with fresh juicy strawberries and whipped cream for the perfect summer dessert.
Prep Time30 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Total Time45 minutes mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups (248g) all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups (356ml) heavy whipping cream plus more to make whipped cream
- 5 cups (625g) sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Whipped cream for topping
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
Add the heavy whipping cream and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until the dough comes together. It should become a thick dough and if needed, use your hands to finish working it together.
Using two spoons, scoop out and drop biscuits on prepared cookie sheets. Depending on size, you’ll get about 8 biscuits, unless you want them smaller.
Bake for about 14-16 minutes, or until the tops and bottoms are golden brown and the biscuits are cooked through. I recommend rotating the pan halfway though baking for even cooking. Cool biscuits before serving.
While the biscuits are baking (or about 30 minutes before serving shortcakes), place the strawberries in a medium sized bowl and toss with sugar and lemon juice. The berries will become juicy as they sit.
For serving: cut each biscuit in half. Top bottom with some berries and some fresh whipped cream or whipped topping. Place the top of the biscuit back on top and serve.
- Don't assemble the shortcakes until you're ready to serve them.
- Don't add the sugar to the strawberries until about 30 minutes before you're going to assemble.
- Use ANY fruit for this! You're not limited to strawberries.
- Don't want to make homemade whipped cream? Use a can or use Cool Whip.
Serving: 1shortcake | Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 667IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 2mg