Mom’s Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Mom's Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe is a family favorite Thanksgiving tradition. It's the best easy pumpkin pie!
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 all butter pie crust from scratch or from a pack of two
- 1 ¾ cups (425g) pumpkin puree (1-15 ounce can)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups (415ml) whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (134g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 ⅓ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place your pie crust in a 9-10-inch pie plate. Please note: this pie gets very full. It’s pictured made in a standard 9” pie plate.You can use a 9-inch, 9-inch deep dish or 10-inch pie plate, or two 7-inch pie crusts. If you’re using anything smaller than 9-inch there will be extra filling. Use any extra filling to make mini pumpkin pies (see below). Place pie plate on a cookie sheet for baking.
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour into pie plate.
It’s best if you cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil or a pie crust shield before you start baking. Remove the foil after 50-60 minutes of bake time.
Carefully transfer pie to oven and bake for 60-75 minutes. I’m giving a large range in time because it depends on what size pie plate you’re using and your oven. My 9” pie plate took 70 minutes. It’s done when the center looks solid. Cool completely, then wrap tightly and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.
To make mini pies: use a round cookie cutter or mason jar lid to cut circles out of pie crust. Press into mini muffin pans and fill with about 1-2 tablespoons pie filling. Bake time will be about 20-30 minutes.
- I vary between using a homemade crust and refrigerated one, and you can also use a frozen pie shell too.
- Be sure to use whole milk, not heavy cream, not evaporated - just plain old whole milk. The eggs and milk work together to create a creamy pumpkin custard filling.
- Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil so that the crust doesn't cook too much.
- To make sure the bottom of my crust bakes, I bake at a high oven temperature (425°F) for about 10 minutes, then lower the oven temp until the pie is done.
- Pumpkin pie is done baking when it no longer rolls when tapped - it will be just slightly jiggly and might have a small crack in the center.
- Serve the pie at room temperature with whipped cream or cool whip. Store in the refrigerator or wrap well with plastic wrap and freeze for up to a month.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 231mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 6825IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1.4mg