BEST Chocolate Cake Recipe
This is the only chocolate cake recipe you need! Skip the box and make my Best Chocolate Cake recipe. This cake recipe makes a layer cake, a sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes!
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 2 hours
Servings 12 servings
For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cups 347g granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup 63g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups 310g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 119 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 237 ml hot water
- 1 cup 237 ml buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml vanilla extract
For the Fudgy Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup 85g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 cups 565g powdered sugar
- 1 cup 227g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon 15ml vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons 75ml milk (use regular milk for best results)
Make the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pans with liners or grease and flour cake pan(s).
Whisk together sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour in a large bowl. Set aside.
Whisk oil, eggs, water, buttermilk, and vanilla in a large measuring cup or bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Batter will be thin.
Pour into prepared pans and bake as directed, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
Add powdered sugar and cocoa to a very large bowl. Whisk to combine and get out any lumps.
Pour in unsalted butter and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer until crumbly, then add vanilla and salt.
Add milk and mix until frosting is smooth and the desired consistency. Use immediately.
Bake Time:24 cupcakes: 13-16 minutesTwo 9-inch rounds: 28-35 minutes9x13-inch pan: 35-40 minutes
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 664kcal | Carbohydrates: 103g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 566mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 73g