Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
Make Red Velvet Cookies from scratch! These homemade cookies taste like red velvet cake but in cookie form.
Servings: 19 cookies
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder not dutch process
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ (186g) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring see note
- ¾ cup (128g) white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup (128g) milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream Cheese Frosting optional
Line 2 cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
Stir both sugars into the melted butter in a large bowl. Stir in cocoa powder, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Slowly stir in flour.
Add the vinegar and red food coloring and stir, then stir in white and chocolate chips.
Scoop 2 tablespoon size cookie dough balls onto cookie sheets 2-inches apart. Chill 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake chilled cookies 10-13 minutes or until they just lose their glossy sheen. Cool on cookie sheets before removing to eat.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- For gel food coloring, use 1/2 tsp.
- Be sure to add the vinegar with the food coloring at the end so that it doesn’t activate the baking soda too early (think elementary school volcano project).
- To frost with cream cheese frosting, omit chips and bake as directed. Frost after they've cooled; makes about 16 cookies.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 166IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg