Mom’s Banana Bread
The perfect banana bread recipe!
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened (plus more for the pan)
- 2 medium tired bananas brown spotted
- 2 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons sour milk or 1 teaspoon white vinegar + enough milk to make 7 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts pecans or walnuts, optional
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x5x3” loaf pan with butter and coat it with sugar. (You do this like you would grease and flour a pan. Grease it first, then add about 2 tablespoons sugar to the pan and move the pan side to side until the bottom and sides are coated with sugar. Do NOT substitute cooking spray for the butter. You can skip the sugaring and just use cooking spray, if you wish.)
Cream butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Set aside.
Add bananas, eggs, milk, and baking soda to a blender jar and blend until smooth.
Pour half the banana mixture into the butter mixture with 1 cup of flour. Mix with hand mixer until just incorporated, then add the remaining banana mixture and flour. Mix until just incorporated. Stir in nuts if using them. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. The edges will be a dark brown and there will be a nice crack down the center.
Cool completely before removing loaf from pan, but you can cut slices from the pan after it’s cooled for about 15-20 minutes.