Salisbury Steak Recipe
This easy ground beef hamburger steak is a salisbury steak cooked in a rich gravy. It's an easy 30 minute meal that's the perfect weeknight meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¼ large onion finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 7-8 Ritz or saltine crackers crushed fine (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- Egg noodles for serving optional
Carefully mix the beef with the egg, onion, crackers, sage and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper using your hands. Divide the meat into 4 equal portions and shape into oval patties.
Boil the egg noodles while cooking the meat, if using.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Brown the patties, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Place another tablespoon of olive oil in the pan with garlic and cook for just a few seconds until the garlic is fragrant. Add Worcestershire sauce and flour and cook for about 30 seconds, then whisk in the beef stock. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and another 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring to get up the bits of meat from the bottom of the pan, until the sauce begins to thicken (about 2-3 minutes depending on the depth of your pan).
Add the patties and juices back into the pan and cook, stirring the sauce occasionally, until the meat is cooked through (2-5 minutes). Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
Serve hot over egg noodles.
- Any cracker for the Ritz
- Ground Turkey for the beef
- Chicken stock for the beef stock
- If you're out of eggs, use milk instead (or even a bit of tomato sauce)
- Any noodle works, not just egg noodles
- Serve over noodles or potatoes or rice.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 59IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 3mg