No Bake Berry Shortcake Trifle
This easy No Bake Berry Shortcake Trifle is the perfect summer dessert! King's Hawaiian rolls, fresh whipped cream, and gorgeous berries...and a little amaretto.
Servings 10 -12 servings
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 12 ounce package King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 1-2 ounces Amaretto optional (may substitute orange or another fruit juice)
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds fresh strawberries hulled and sliced in half
- 3/4 pound fresh blueberries
Beat heavy whipping cream on high speed, adding powdered sugar and both extracts during whipping, until stiff peaks form. Whipped cream turns out perfect when you start with COLD heavy whipping cream and a cold bowl too. (I pop my bowl into the freezer for a few minutes before starting.)
Slice each King’s Hawaiian roll into 8 pieces. Place half of the bread pieces into the bottom of a medium-sized trifle dish. Brush with amaretto (or juice), if using. Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream over the bread pieces, then top with about 3/4 of the strawberries. Repeat the layers, adding blueberries instead of strawberries. Top with the rest of the whipped cream and more berries for garnish.
Chill for 1 hour before serving. This tastes good after the flavors have been allowed to sit for a bit, but serve it on the same day it was made for best results.