Easy Apple Fritter Coffee Cake
Make this Easy Apple Fritter Coffee Cake for breakfast or brunch this fall! It's an easy recipe that tastes just like an apple fritter complete with glaze!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 (19 ounce) box Krusteaz Fat Free Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix (see note)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-10” pie plate or a 9x9” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir muffin mix and water in a large bowl until a thick batter forms. Fold in the apple pack from the box. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Stir the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter in the pan.
Bake cake for 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center of the cake.
As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream in a small bowl until smooth. The glaze will be thick. Poke several small holes in the top of the cake using a toothpick, then evenly spread the glaze all over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool. As it cools the glaze will harden.
Serve slightly warm or room temperature. Store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
It seems that Krusteaz no longer makes the Fat-Free Apple Muffin Mix. If you happen to find it, you can use it. Otherwise do this:
I am currently re-working the recipe to become from-scratch recipe and will update once it's finished.
- Use another apple muffin mix (Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, and Pillsbury all have one, along with some other random brands). To prepare: omit the water and prepare as directed for muffins. Add the batter to the pan in step 2 and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar in step 3. Continue as directed in recipe.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 5mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Calcium: 9mg