Homemade Mint Oreos Recipe
Homemade Mint Chip Oreos - this EASY homemade Oreo recipe is soft batch and filled with mint chip filling! Mint lovers will LOVE this cookie recipe.
Servings: 8 large or 16 small Oreos
- ⅓ cup (17g) Hershey’s Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups (155g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter , softened
- ⅔ cup (134g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups (141g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream for consistency (you can also use milk)
- ½ cup (112g) mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and both sugars. Mix in egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Scoop 1 or 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 8-11 minutes (small) or 12-15 minutes (large) until they just lose their glossy sheen. Err on the side of underdone for these cookies; they taste better that way. Let cool completely before filling and making sandwiches.
To make the filling: beat butter until smooth in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Mix in salt, then slowly beat in powdered sugar. Add peppermint extract, then 1 tablespoon of cream, adding more as needed for spreadable consistency. Mix in the mini chocolate chips.
Frost half of the cookies frosting and sandwich with the other half. You will have just enough frosting to do all the cookies.
- You can use regular unsweetened but they won’t be as “Oreo” like.
- I haven't tested Dutch Process cocoa in this recipe but it should work just fine if you can't find the Hershey's.
- While store bought Oreos are vegan, this recipe isn't because of the butter in the frosting and cookie. You can substitute Earth's Balance Vegan Butter Sticks for both if you want a dairy-free cookie and vegan frosting (but the cookie won't be vegan because of the egg).
- When you take the cookies out of the oven, gently tap the cookie sheet on the stovetop to flatten the warm cookies.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze cookies for up to 3 months (filled or unfilled).
Serving: 1Cookie | Calories: 457kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 2615mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g