This Eggnog Trifle has layers of red velvet cake with eggnog pudding, whipped cream, and white chocolate. You could even add rum! It's the perfect Christmas dessert.
Servings 12 servings
For the cake:
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
For the pudding:
- 2 boxes instant vanilla pudding mix 3.4 ounces each
- 3 cups eggnog
For the whipped cream:
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Rum optional
Make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk buttermilk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in a large measuring cup and whisk into dry ingredients until combined. Stir in food coloring carefully.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
Assemble the cake:
Slice the cake into small squares.
Place a layer of cake squares into the bottom of a trifle dish. Optional: brush with rum.
Cover with 1/3 of the pudding mixture and 1/3 of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips.
Repeat, making about three layers. Top with cake crumbs and white chocolate and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Chill until ready to serve. Store loosely covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can use Cool Whip in place of the whipped cream. Just skip making the whipped cream and use about 2 (8-ounce) containers of cool whip.
- You can use a red velvet cake mix to make the cake, but bake it in two 9x13-inch pans. You’ll only need half the cake mix to make the trifle.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 374mg | Potassium: 238mg | Sugar: 46g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 1.1mg