Chocolate Bran Muffins Recipe
A skinny chocolate muffin with only 102 calories and 3.5 grams of protein!
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 cups (123g) All Bran Cereal
- 1 ¼ cups milk nondairy, nonfat, or 2%
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (33g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- ¾ cup (93g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips optional
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
Place bran cereal and milk in a medium bowl. Make sure all the bran is underneath the milk; set aside to soak while mixing remaining ingredients.
Place sugar, applesauce, oil, egg, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir or use a hand mixer to mix until smooth. Stir in coco powder.
Add bran cereal mixture to the sugar mixture along with the flour and stir or mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake 18-24 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before removing wrappers or they’ll pull off some of the muffin.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Any kind of milk is okay to use – any fat content, regular milk or nondairy.
- You can substitute sugar-free sweetener for the sugar (I use equal amounts Swerve
- Granulated amount used will differ for other brands)
- For a fluffier muffin, omit applesauce and increase oil to ¼ cup.
- For a lower-fat muffin, omit oil and increase applesauce to ¼ cup (will change the texture slightly.)
- For lower cholesterol, use 2 egg whites in place of the 1 large egg (will slightly change the texture).
- You can use half and half all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour or substitute all the AP flour with 1:1 Gluten Free flour to make gluten-free muffins.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 314mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 242IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 3mg