Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
This Overnight Monkey Bread French Toast Casserole is the best breakfast or brunch recipe!! Monkey Bread combined with French Toast - so good! My family loved the rich sweet monkey bread topping all over the french toast casserole. Bonus: no syrup needed!
Servings: 12 servings
- 12 medium sized dinner rolls (a 14 ounce package)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter melted
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup (150g) packed brown sugar
Spray a 9x13” or 8x11” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut rolls into bite size pieces (about 6 per roll) and spread in pan.
Whisk eggs, milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a large measuring cup or medium sized bowl. Pour evenly over bread in pan. Press down with your hands to soak all of the bread pieces in the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the french toast from the refrigerator and allow to sit while oven is preheating. Stir brown sugar and pinch of salt into the melted butter, stirring until they mix well. Pour evenly over the top of the french toast, spreading with the back of a spoon to coat the entire pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the edges seem golden brown. The center will be bubbly and the brown sugar mixture will be somewhat liquidy. It will set as it cools. Serve warm, no syrup needed!
- Use any kind of dinner rolls or french bread, even challah bread, brioche, or other crusty loaf (about 14 ounces).
- You can use any kind of milk - regular, nonfat, 2% or nondairy
Serve with maple syrup (although it doesn't need it - a sprinkling of powdered sugar over the top will do) or whipped cream.
- Don't want to make this an overnight casserole? Let it soak for at least 4 hours before baking.
Serving: 1/10th slice of monkey bread | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 201mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g