Orange Dream Bars
Orange Dream Bars - this easy recipe is like a lemon bar but using orange! The perfect citrus recipe, tart and sweet with a shortbread crust.
Servings 24 bars
- 1 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (248g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (119ml) fresh squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 ½ cups (150g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (31g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large large eggs
- Powdered sugar for topping
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13” pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Beat butter with a hand or a stand mixer until creamy, then add the flour, sugar, and salt and beat until a dough forms. (If you’re using a hand mixer it will take extra time.) Press the crust into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 18 minutes.
A few minutes before the crust comes out of the oven, prepare the filling. Place all filling ingredients into a blender jar and blend until smooth, a few seconds to almost a minute, depending on your blender. You can also do this with a whisk in a large bowl.
Carefully pour filling over evenly over hot crust. Return to oven and bake until the top is no longer jiggly, about 20-23 minutes. Cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and slicing into bars.
- Don't strain the fresh squeezed juice - that pulp adds flavor!
- The orange extract is essential here to amp up the orange flavor.
- Use your favorite oranges! For the zest be sure to use at least 1 tablespoon (or more if your orange is larger).
- Make sure your crust is compacted firmly. Any holes in the bottom can cause the filling to leak through, ending in upside down bars. This is not usually a problem with shortbread crusts like this one (it happens more if you're using a cookie crust) but just in case it happens, that's why.
- Want a crunchier crust? Bake it for 22 minutes before topping.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 292IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg