4th of July Chocolate Chip Cookies
The best ever chocolate chip cookie recipe are now 4th of July Chocolate Chip Cookies! Make M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies with red, white and blue candies for a patriotic cookie perfect for a potluck.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Chill time2 hours hrs
Total Time30 minutes mins
Servings: 36 cookies
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup (134g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (372g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (255g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
- 2 cups 4th of July M&Ms divided
Note: This dough requires chilling.
Place melted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). Add granulated and brown sugars and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips and 1 1/2 cups of M&Ms.
Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 1/4 cup balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Spacing doesn’t matter because you will be chilling the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Remove the chilled cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and space them 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake 11-15 minutes, or until they JUST lose their glossy sheen, rotating the pans partway through baking. Add more M&Ms to the top of the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cool at least 10 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
- I use melted butter because I love the flavor that it creates when mixed with the brown sugar.
- Because the butter starts off melted, you MUST chill the cookie dough. Make life easy: scoop the cookie balls then chill. Bake when ready!
- Also because the butter is melted, you don’t even need a mixer for this recipe. It’s a one-bowl cookie recipe – just a bowl and a spoon!
- I used fewer chocolate chips in these cookies and added M&Ms. Use any color M&Ms for any holiday or occasion
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 114mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 0.8mg