Cornbread Stuffing with Andouille and Pecans
This is the perfect side dish to any Thanksgiving meal! Sweet cornbread, spicy andouille sausage, and crunchy pecans make this my family's favorite stuffing...all year long.
Servings: 12 servings
- 8-9 cups of crumbled cornbread from a 16 ounce pouch that makes an 8x8 pan size (I use Marie Callender’s Mix), see note
- 12 ounces andouille sausage quartered and diced bite size (I use Aidells Cajun Style Andouille)
- ½ cup small dice green bell pepper
- ¼ cup small dice green onion
- ¾ cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans see note
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock/broth
Crumble cornbread and place in a very large bowl.
Cook sausage over medium heat in a large skillet until it’s browned, about 5-7 minutes. Place on a paper towel lined plate and press with more paper towels to render the grease. Cool slightly, then add to the cornbread.
Add the bell pepper, green onion, pecans, and sage to the cornbread sausage mixture. Stir to combine. Add 3/4 cup of chicken stock and stir, adding more chicken stock as needed. The mixture should be wet but not sopping.
Pour stuffing into a dish that’s about 2.2 Qt or 1.8L (I use a corningware dish or a 10x7 rectangular pan.)
At this point you can cover the stuffing and let it sit at room temperature up to 3 hours or chill for up to 24, until ready to bake. Let it come to room temperature before baking.
Bake in a 350°F oven, covered with a lid or foil, for about 15 minutes. Remove lid/foil and let brown for another 5-10 minutes, or until heated through. If you’re making a turkey in the same oven, you can cook the stuffing at the same temperature. This recipe is easily adaptable in that way. Just adjust the time accordingly. Serve hot.
- You can make the stuffing up to 24 hours ahead. I usually make the cornbread the day before I assemble the stuffing.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 541kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 1051mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 163IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg