Chocolate Zucchini Doughnut Muffins
This is a perfect EASY muffin recipe that tastes like a baked donut! Chocolate Zucchini Doughnut Muffins are a great way to use up all that summer squash.
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 7 tablespoons sour milk or 1 teaspoon vinegar plus enough milk to make 7 tablespoons, or you can use buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon divided
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir 3/4 cup sugar, oil, and apple sauce in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir in eggs, sour milk, baking soda, cocoa, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in flour. Stir in zucchini.
Spoon into mini muffin pans (makes 48) and bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 5 minutes in pan before removing.
Right before serving: Stir remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll muffins in melted butter than toss in cinnamon sugar.