This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
My Shredded Beef Taco Recipe is a family-friendly dinner and so easy to make in your crockpot. You don’t have to precook anything – just toss the ingredients in the slow cooker and let them simmer all day! We love to tuck the meat into taco shells but sometimes we serve it over rice for an easy dinner.
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
My crockpot has saved me so many times especially when life gets crazy and there’s no time to cook! My favorite slow cooker recipes are ones that are easy to prep and almost completely hands-off, like these slow cooker shredded beef tacos.
You only need a few ingredients to make them and you don’t have to brown the meat first. It’s perfect for busy weeknights.
This is inspired by Mexican shredded beef. It’s seasoned with taco seasoning and simmers with green chiles and beef broth. It has a ton of flavor and no one will guess that you made it with just a handful of ingredients.
- Boneless beef chuck roast – also called pot roast, this is the best cut of beef for the crockpot. It shreds perfectly for tacos.
- Sliced yellow onion and Canned diced green chiles
- Taco seasoning – use your favorite brand
How to Make Pulled Beef Tacos
- Place all of the ingredients and beef broth in your slow cooker. I like to use a slow cooker liner to make clean-up even easier.
- Cook it all on low for eight to ten hours. You know when the beef is done when you can easily shred it with a fork.
- Shred the beef and it’s ready to serve! Wrap it up in tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes and cheese for the best taco night ever. I also love a squeeze of lime juice on my tacos!
Tip From Dorothy
- I’ve used all kinds of different kinds of beef to make tacos – ground beef, flank steak, skirt steak and sirloin are common cuts to use – but I think this shredded beef recipe is one of my favorites. It’s so easy to cook in the crockpot and the leftovers are great, too.
- These slow cooker shredded beef tacos are great for parties, game-days or any time your hosting a crowd. You can leave the beef in the slow cooker on warm and let everyone help themselves. Set up a taco bar with all of the toppings and let everyone make their own.
- Sometimes I’ll buy a bigger chuck roast because shredded beef keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. Warm the leftovers up on the stove or in the microwave – if the beef is a little dry, just add a splash of beef stock or water.
The best cut of beef to use for this recipe is chuck roast. You want a tougher cut with some fat and chuck roast works great. After it’s cooked all day in the crockpot it’s so tender, juicy and makes the most delicious filling for tacos. Chuck roast is a common cut of beef used for making tacos and is a nice change from regular ground beef.
If you cook it too long it will get dry, but as long as you don’t exceed 10 hours in the slow cooker and there is enough liquid, the beef will stay tender.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Taco Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 2-4 pounds
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
- Place all ingredients in the liner of a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Use two forks or tongs to break up the meat.
- Serve plain or as tacos with your favorite toppings.
Favorite Crockpot Recipes
This easy Mexican inspired taco recipe is done with just a few ingredients in the slow cooker for a delicious weeknight meal. Serve plain, over taco salad or make tacos with the shredded meat.
Last Updated on March 16, 2023
Sadly, I don’t print your recipes very often as the picture doesn’t appear on the print-out, and I need a pic to remind me about the recipe…