This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
I take all of my own photos and make over 90% of all my own videos. Here is the equipment I use:
Cameras and lenses:
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame DSLR Body with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens and the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 Zoom lens (January 2019-present)
- Nikon D750 full frame with the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8 lens (2016-2018; currently using for SIDE shot video)
- Nikon D5600 with AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8 for overhead video shots
- I also sometimes use a Nikon 60mm f/2.8 for side shots (video) as well.
I switched from Nikon to Canon for photography in 2019 and I do not regret my choice.
- SLIK Pro 700 DX Tripod (for photo and side shot video; I have three of these and prefer them to manfrotto)
- Manfrotto Section Tripod with extendable arm (rotates for overhead) with the Joystick head (Jury is still out…it’s difficult to use but I like the rotation on the head)
- I currently use this setup for my overhead video.
- Light stand with FloLights (2 of each) and diffused with a white silk sheet.
- Lilliput 10.1″ Monitor with an HDMI to HDMI cable
- The D5600 camera has a swivel twist out viewfinder I use for overhead shoots. If you don’t have that, you’ll need 2 monitors.
- Erickson Surfaces
- I also use white foam core covered with marble contact paper
- I did the SMTY in-person workshop but the Digital Course is just as good.
- I did a crash course with Sarah on how to use my Canon: Snixy Kitchen Workshops