Mar 05

Rainbow Palmiers

Rainbows are my favorite thing, like, ever. These Rainbow Palmiers (and shamrocks too!) are so easy you will love rainbows too!

Rainbow Palmiers | crazyforcrust.com | A super easy treat for Sr. Patrick's Day using crescent rolls and colored sugars.

I want a rainbow birthday party when I turn 40. I want rainbow decorations and rainbow balloons and rainbow costumes and rainbow food.

My husband says, “you’ll probably change your mind” which is code for “I don’t do pinterest and have no bleeping clue how to make a rainbow wreath so don’t ask me too.”

I mean, if I did have a rainbow party (albeit a grown up version of Jordan’s party) I would have to have all the bells and whistles. I’d want a rainbow cake, rainbow cookies, rainbow martinis, rainbow…everything. So I’d probably have to make the food. I mean, I don’t see my husband breaking out the food coloring to make cupcakes, do you?

{Can you imagine? There would be red dye everywhere.}

But I do have a rainbow treat he could make. It’s man-proof. And kid-proof. And perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!

Rainbow Palmiers: the easiest rainbow treat ever.

I’m serious: these are so easy you’ll want to cry. Don’t believe me? I’ll show you.

You start with Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Remove them from the can and separate them into two rectangles. (Or buy the Crescent Roll Sheets). Pinch the seams together and cover one side with granulated sugar.

Rainbow Palmiers (7 of 14)

Flip them over and cover the other side with rainbow sugar. Or use your favorite colors!

You double sugar these because palmiers are crunchy with sugar inside and out. This is achieved by sugaring both sides of the dough. You can find colored sugars at craft stores, the dollar section at Target, the grocery store, kitchen stores, and online (I love Sweet! Baking Supply for all things sugar and sprinkles that you can’t find in store.)

Rainbow Palmiers (1 of 14)

Once you pat down the sugar so it slightly adheres to the crescent roll, you roll up the dough from the left and right. The rolls will meet in the middle.

Rainbow Palmiers (4 of 14)

Then you wrap them in plastic, chill for at least an hour, slice, and bake. These come out so rainbow-y and pretty! And, they taste like sugary palmiers.

You don’t have to make just rainbows, however. If you’re making these for a St. Patrick’s Day treat, you could also forego the rainbow sugars and just use green. Arrange them artfully before baking and you have…

Shamrocks!

Shamrock Palmiers | crazyforcrust.com | A super easy treat for Sr. Patrick's Day using crescent rolls and colored sugars.

You could totally make them four leaf clovers but I figured three was enough. They are pretty big and if your kid is anything like mine they don’t take to “you can have half” well. So I went with three-leaf clovers.

These rainbow palmiers (or shamrocks) are perfect for a breakfast treat, and after school snack, or a dessert! They’re also good for a classroom snack: they’re a little sweet without being overly so and they’re pretty too.

I swear, I want to live in a rainbow.

Life would be so much for fun in a rainbow, wouldn’t it? Everything would be happy and musical, we’d use unicorns as cars and it would rain Skittles. #bestlandever #rainbowland

Rainbow & Shamrock Palmiers

Yield: 24 Rainbow Palmiers or 8 Shamrocks

Turn crescent roll dough into a palmier that's a rainbow or a shamrock!

Ingredients:

• 1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough (8 rolls)
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus a few pinches
  • Green colored sugar and/or rainbow colored sugars

Directions:

1. Open Crescent Rolls and unroll dough. Separate the dough into two rectangles along the perforated edge (4 triangles to a rectangle).
  2. Working on one rectangle at a time (half the tube), press all the seams together to seal. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar over one side of the crescent rectangle, press lightly with you hands to adhere. Gently flip over the rectangle.
  3. To make rainbows: Place the rectangle so that the width is longer than the height. Sprinkle sugars in vertical rows in the colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Roll up each side so that the two rolls meet in the middle. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
  4. To make shamrocks: sprinkle green sugar (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) all over the dough. Press lightly with your hands to adhere. Roll up each side so that the two rolls meet in the middle. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with silpat baking mats, parchment paper, or grease them with cooking spray. (These will stick if you don’t do one of those three things!)
  6. To bake the rainbows: Slice the dough 1/2” thick. Place on cookie sheets, 2” apart. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until the bottoms start to get golden. Let cool on cookie sheet for just a few minutes, then run a spatula underneath so the melted sugar doesn’t stick.
  7. To bake the shamrocks: Slice the dough 1/2” thick. Reserve one of the end pieces, and cut it into four “stems”.
  8. Place 3 slices on your cookie sheet, pressed close together in the shape of a shamrock. Bake for 4 minutes, then add the stem to one side of the shamrock. Continue baking for another 4-6 minutes, until the bottoms start to get golden (a total of 8-10 minutes baking time). Let cool on cookie sheet for just a few minutes, then run a spatula underneath so the melted sugar doesn’t stick.
  9. Serve for breakfast, snack, or dessert!

Rainbow & Shamrock Palmiers

This recipe is part of a St. Patrick’s Day Blog Hop!

St Patricks Day Blog Hop with Pillsbury

Get all the other delicious recipes:

Irish Cream Cookie Dough Cheesecake by Roxana’s Home Baking

Rainbow Cookies

rainbow-cookies

Chocolate Chip Palmiers

Chocolate Chip Palmiers 1 words

Thanks for reading!

Comments

comments

80 comments on “Rainbow Palmiers

1. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches - Shugary Sweets

2. Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Braid | wine & glue

3. Pingback: Mini Chocolate Mint Cream Pies - Mom On Timeout

4. Pingback: Irish Cream Chocolate Coconut Cookies

5. Pingback: Irish cream cookie dough cheesecake recipe

6. Wow these are so cute! And such a simple dessert (that looks so impressive!) Love these and I’m excited to check out all these other treats! Pinned :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 5th, 2014 at 6:57 am

Thanks for the pin Chelsea!!

7. These are so fun, Dorothy!! Those colors!! Such a cool and creative idea. Perfect for St. Patricks Day!

8. I had no idea palmiers were so easy to make! I just assumed that any French pastry/dessert would be ridiculously involved. I LOVE the shamrocks – what a cool idea :)

9. Oh. My. God. CUTEST PALMIERS EVER! Maybe even the cutest rainbow dessert ever. SO CLEVER! Hey, I’m a rhyming master 😉 love the shamrocks too! And I will def. help Mel pull off the rainbow bday party because imagining him dyeing cupcakes is hilarious and dangerous, haha.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Thank you Hayley!! I’m counting on your help. You’re in charge of the rainbow boozy drinks and food. :) xoxo

10. Oh I wish I would have know about there when I had my step-daughters rainbow party. So cute. Rainbow parties are awesome and really don’t take much effort! Maybe you can start little craft lessons with your husband since now and just save the crafts until your party!

11. I love how simple and easy these are! They totally look like they took all day. It’s amazing how versatile pre-made crescent roll dough can be.

12. These are definitely the cutest palmiers EVER!!!! I didn’t realize just how easy these cookies are to make! I just love how gorgeous they are when they bake!!!

13. How cute are these!? Love the idea of this St. Patrick’s Day blog hop.

14. Genius! These look so cool and would be an awesome kid project, Thanks for the invite to the blog hop 😉

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Totally a good for kids project. Maybe baseball colors! :)

15. seriously amazing Dorothy! What a fun idea. I bet Stella is going to want to make these

16. So fun!! I love the bright colors, and I love these types of cookies!

17. Oh my goodness adorable!! Rainbows are my favorite part of St. Patrick’s Day decorating…actually rainbows are a favorite year round! I am long past my 40th birthday but I would have gone for rainbows too. :) Those clovers are adorable as well! So clever, really, Dorothy!

18. These are so cool! I always thought palmiers were a little boring, but this totally makes them fun again! 😉

19. Haha, “man proof” -> I love it! This is such a good idea, definitely saving for when me or Mom are away and the boys at home have to make a dessert! :)

20. We are all about rainbows in this house! These are just gorgeous!!

21. Who knew these could be so easy. I’m sure delicious too! Can I come to your rainbow party???

22. SOOOO PRETTY!! And I totally support and love the idea of you having a rainbow themed 40th!

23. Those are beautiful, my kids would love these!! :-) Cool idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:32 pm

My daughter loved them. I think rainbows are kid magnets. :)

24. These are so cute!! I love rainbow colors!! Pinned it :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Thanks so much for the pin Crystal!

25. These are SO cute and fun, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or really anytime of year when your in need of a rainbow filled day! Pinned :)

26. I’m dying! These are so stinkin’ cute! Pinned it twice…lol. If it’s ok, would love to use it in a St. Patrick’s Day snack roundup.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Thank you for the pins!! And yes, feel free to use a photo and a link! :) Thanks!

27. This is so fun, Dorothy!! I’m so pinning it 😉

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thank you for the pin Lyuba!

28. Rainbows are so happy and they way to my heart too! These are adorable! I’ll help Mel throw you one heck of a party :)

29. So much fun and you made it look so easy! There is just something special about rainbow food :)

30. These look so pretty! thx for sharing.

I read ur tweet that ur cat barfed on your bed. Even though I know it must have irritated you, I couldn’t help but giggle. It’s def. an ewww thing, but I guess thats what happens when u have pets. BTW, can u tweet or post a pic of your cat? Just wanna see it, I LOVE cats. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 6th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

There are some in my instagram feed! :)

• Iram replied on March 6th, 2014 at 9:42 pm

lol I just took a look. oh my gosh, she’s a cutie. haha More pics of ur cat!!
        * And again thanks for all the hard work u put in the blog. it shows. have a good wknd

31. What a super cute idea! I love the sprinkles! I just want a birthday with a sprinkle bar! Okay, now I am counting down the day until my birthday

32. I totally want to come to your rainbow birthday party :) These look so easy and fun. Thanks for sharing.

33. These are just so freakin’ fabulous Dorothy! LOVE!

34. These are gorgeous, Dorothy! I am still trying to pick my chin up off my keyboard from learning that there are only 3 ingredients in these! :)
    Pinned & sharing!

35. Wow! These look awesome! I love this idea!!

36. Omg these are so cute! And I love that they’re really easy as well.

37. How cute! And so much tastier than the corned beef and cabbage we always had on St. Paddy’s Day, growing up. I would pin these if I were on Pinterest!

38. Pingback: 90 St. Patrick's Day Sweets & Treats - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

39. Oh my goodness, these are the cutest palmiers ever! Love how simple they to make -truly genius – pinning! I would totally want to live in rainbowland – it’s the happiest place on earth :)

40. I love your recipe but I loved your comment more….It would rain Skittles! I absolutely adore them; they should be a food group. Now my grandchildren love them too. Is there any candy happier than a Skittle?

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 7th, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Definitely not! Thanks Ingrid! :)

41. I have never made palmiers before, but now I really want to! So easy and the colors are so fun! And I wish I didn’t live on the other side of the country, cuz I’d totally throw you a rainbow party :)

42. You are adorable Dorothy! So many bright cheerful colors — I love it! My brother’s favorite color growing up was “rainbow” because he couldn’t decide which one he liked best and thought it wouldn’t be fair to the other colors. Your cute treats brought back lots of fun childhood memories!

43. Pingback: St. Patrick's Day Quick Prep Desserts Roundup : My Pinterventures

44. Pingback: Peanut Butter Snickerdoodle Crescent Rolls - Crazy for Crust

45. Pingback: Corned Beef Sliders with Spicy Mustard and Melted Cheddar Cheese | Foodness Gracious

46. Pingback: 35 St. Patrick's Day Dessert Ideas - Pretty My Party