Nov 05

Crust and Crumbs: A Day in the Life

Instead of a traditional Crust and Cumbs post today, a bunch of us bloggers thought about doing a “Day in the Life” post to show you a behind the scenes look at our lives. I loved the idea because I’m that person who always looks in bathroom cabinets when I visit someone, so seeing inside the lives of my friends is pretty perfect for me. I hope you have fun reading!

Ready for a day in the life of, well, me? My house is not clean and pictures are very misleading. In fact, I instagrammed this photo recently:

IMG_3884

That’s my kitchen after three photo shoots. I’m not a neat baker, and I’m kind of a clutter freak. As in, clutter freaks me out but I produce a lot of it.

My day in the life was last Wednesday, October 30. The day before I’d made 3 recipes and shot 2. The kitchen mayhem continued during our day in the life. Are you ready? Hold onto the edge of your seat, my life is riveting in adventure. ;)

I start my day the same way every day. At 6am (or earlier; I prefer 5:45 but I don’t set an alarm, my body wakes me up) I head down the stairs in the dark so I don’t wake Jordan and get myself a cup of coffee. Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve, with a splash of Coffee-mate Italian Sweet Cream.

coffee

I pray that Jordan hasn’t woken yet. Chances are, she is and will be demanding breakfast shortly.

I get online and check my site first. Since my Bluehost days, I worry every morning it will be down. I hold my breath while it loads, I’m not kidding.

IMG_3932

I check my planner for my schedule. Half of what I actually do isn’t actually on the schedule, and most of what’s on there doesn’t actual get done.

planner

Box. It’s circled, like, 3 times throughout the week. I have no clue what it means.

IMG_3933

6:15am, I do all of my gawker sharing, including My Recipe Magic.

7:35am, Jordan is dropped at school. I walked her to her classroom this day…and I can’t remember why.

IMG_3937

After a little more work, I head to the gym for 30 minutes of cardio and then my 9am training session. By 10:00 I’m a wet noodle and can’t lift my arms.

IMG_3943

After my shower, I dress like a dork. Want to be a dork with me? You can enter to win your own Crazy for Crust t-shirt here.

IMG_3960

Some more work before I head to the disaster that is my kitchen.

IMG_3948

Recipe #1 for the day: muffins for the class Halloween party.

IMG_3951

Then I do dishes…the first time.

IMG_3950

Somehow last week was baking heavy. So…Photo Shoot #1

IMG_3952

Pie crust tutorial coming soon!

Photo shoot #2…pie recipe coming Friday!

IMG_3955

In between photo shoots I made pie #2. So…dishes again.

IMG_3954

Oh hey, the muffins cooled. Great! Dishes…#3.

IMG_3957

At this point it was 1:30 and I realized I hadn’t eaten since breakfast. I took my favorite lunch break:

IMG_3958

10 minutes with the ladies of the view. After 10 minutes I get jumpy and have to go check Facebook.

2:00…leave for pick-up. Because if I wait until 2:10 I’ll have to park 3 blocks away.

3:00…we’re home from school, snack is done, homework commences.

IMG_3964

Tears commence too. Lots of them. Subtraction sucks. So does third grade…everything. While she works, I get back into the kitchen.

Cheesecake time! Remember yesterday when I posted the Cookies and Mint Chip Cheesecake I said I’d made it twice? This was #1. Totally FAIL. FYI, don’t try and dye your cheesecake green. Unless you like slime.

IMG_3962

It was so pretty in the pan…not so much on the other end.

Baking round 3…means dishes round 4!

IMG_3963

I finish the dishes, clean the kitchen.

4:00…make Jordan dinner.

4:30…I’m cursing my computer because it won’t turn off.

4:35…we’re rushing out the door and I try not to speed.

4:59…we make it to theatre class on time with one minute to spare. I wait in line for 10 minutes for the privilege of spending $90 on tickets to her performance in December.

Three hours to myself. Well, not really. When Mel is home, he likes to go watch class. So I have to be a good mom and go watch too. But first…

IMG_3969

Dinner at Panera. Free wi-fi means I can work. Er, surf Facebook. But I did work too! :)

Then I head back to the theatre to watch the last hour of practice.

IMG_3970

At this point it’s almost 8pm and I’m kind of tired. I really hate Wednesdays.

We head home and Mel is there, yay! He’s been in San Diego and his flight was delayed, so he’s just getting home. That means he’s putting her to bed.

IMG_3972

And it’s my turn to relax. Although I was trying to not drink during the week, I think Wednesday needs an exception.

Harry Potter? SO FREAKING GOOD. Week 3, I’m on book 4. I can’t get enough!

I check email and Facebook obsessively until bedtime. Then it’s time for sleep, and it’ll start all over tomorrow.

Aren’t I exciting? :)

What is your favorite part of the day?

Thanks for reading about my day. If you like these kind of posts, check out all my friends today!

Crazy For Crust

What’s Cooking Love

Life, Love and Sugar

Cupcake And Bacon

Love From The Oven

Thanks for reading!

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

68 Responses to “Crust and Crumbs: A Day in the Life”

1. Emily @ Life on Food posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:28 am (#)

I couldn’t stand to do dishes that much mid-week. My hands need a rest. Busy. busy, busy. Panera is a lifesaver on days like that…I am afraid that is more of your normal though. Makes my traveling cross country seem like a breeze.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I really hate theatre nights when the husband is gone. Makes for a very long day!

2. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:34 am (#)

I love it Dorothy! So fun to see how you do it. And oh how I relate to rounds and rounds of dishes – usually on the weekend for me. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I still need a dish washing fairy to come live with me! :)

3. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

I am standing over my sink of dirty dishes saying I need to get them done before I have guest arrive in 20 mins for a birthday party and I stop to check bloglovin’ so I can’t totally relate! Thanks for sharing!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

LOL! So totally me. Luckily we don’t have guests often…

4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:47 am (#)

So fun!!! Love this!

5. Betsy @JavaCupcake posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:47 am (#)

I had no idea you guys were doing this! :) hehe I posted A Day in the Life on my blog yesterday! :) FUN!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I saw that Betsy! I thought it was such a fun coincidence!

6. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:59 am (#)

I hate when I write down something and then have no idea what it means later! :)

7. Alyssa posted on November 5, 2013 at 8:29 am (#)

Its so great to see a peak into everyone’s life. I hate all the dishes too, I think that is the worse part of blogging, all the mess I make in the kitchen!

8. Holly posted on November 5, 2013 at 9:34 am (#)

I LOVE this! It’s great to see the real lives of my fellow blog buddies :) I think we’d be great friends in real life :) Are you going to Build your Blog conference in Salt Lake in February? I hope so! Would love to finally meet up!
    Oh and P.S. I’m like you, girl. I try to not have a drink on week days, but sometimes it’s needed! Especially on Wednesdays! ha

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Yes! It’ll be so awesome to finally meet you Holly! :)

9. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on November 5, 2013 at 10:05 am (#)

Good.God. That was a lot. I cannot believe you baked 3 things and shot 2! And that two things were….PIES. I get anxiety just thinking about pie making. Or shooting. Big pies and big cakes. Hate shooting them. Maybe that’s why I make so many bars and cookies.

“As in, clutter freaks me out but I produce a lot of it.” = Couldnt have said it any better! Same.

I am beyond impressed you wake up at 545 without an alarm. Wow. And you deserve at least 3 glasses of wine after that day! Thank you for sharing. Love this!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:17 pm

LOL Averie! I HATE PHOTOGRAPHING PIE. There, I said it. I love to eat it and share it but I hate photographing it. SO MUCH. :)

10. Amy @Very Culinary posted on November 5, 2013 at 10:10 am (#)

Love this.

11. Melissa {Persnickety Plates} posted on November 5, 2013 at 10:50 am (#)

I love behind the scenes info! I’m very impressed your body wakes up without an alarm. I thought that was something that would just happen when I “grew up” but I’m 30 & can still easily sleep until 9/10 am. Also, that’s so many dishes. I’m off to read the others.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

It can be annoying on weekends. It never knows how to hit the snooze button! ;)

12. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on November 5, 2013 at 11:19 am (#)

Wow Dorothy! I don’t know how you manage to keep this up every.single.day!

You need at least 3 dishwashers for Christmas too. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Well, that’s not every day, luckily! I try not to bake every day…but I end up doing it anyway!

13. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on November 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm (#)

This is wonderful! I love peeking into people’s lives (and cabinets!). I can’t believe you baked three things and took pictures of two. Efficiency at it’s highest. I can only imagine if there were no dishes how lovely your day will be!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Oh, if there were no dishes? I’d be the happiest person ever! :)

14. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on November 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm (#)

This was such a fun post Dorothy! I felt like I was right there with you – should have been for the Panera and wine! ;)

15. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on November 5, 2013 at 1:55 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing a day in the life, Dorothy! I’m in awe that you made so many things and shot 2 in the same day. I freak out over photography, but I’m lucky that hubby does the dishes. (Honestly, he insists! I often help by drying and putting things away.) How do you like using those vinyl backdrops? I’ve seen them, but have been fearful of investing in some due to reflective light. And, yes…you deserved that glass of wine!

16. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on November 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm (#)

You are one of my favorite people :)

17. Sue {munchkin munchies} posted on November 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm (#)

I like seeing a peek into your life:) I can relate to the dishes, though I don’t post nearly as often as you do. I need to get on the ball!

18. Ellen@BakeItWithBooze posted on November 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

I thought having 3 KA bowls put me in good shape, but so impressed that you have 2 KAs! Very cool, Dorothy. Hope all is well!

19. Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files posted on November 5, 2013 at 3:25 pm (#)

I LOVE seeing the ‘behind the scenes’ of other bloggers! My fiance has become the “Master Dish Washer’. I make yummy treats…he washes! Its great except when he isn’t home to clean up! hehe!

Quick question…where did you get the paper that looks like wood?! I am in awe!

20. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on November 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm (#)

I love that you have two kitchen aids!!

21. Suzze posted on November 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

That was so much fun! I wish there were blogs (or even the internet!) when my kids were young. I would have so been a blogger! I was a stay-at-home mom until my kids went to college. But, while they were in college I got divorced and started working full time, which, at 61, I still do. I love reading blogs (especially yours) and I loved all the pics today. (You have TWO Kitchen Aid mixers?) Thanks for blogging.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

It’s never too late! :) And thank you! Oh, and the blue one is on it’s last legs. The noises it makes…the pink one was insurance, lol. Plus, two will come in handy this season, or when I make 12 cookie cakes this Friday…. :)

22. Heather @ French Press posted on November 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm (#)

what a fun peek into your day Dorothy – but wow you are SO much more productive than I am during school hours – I;m lucky to get one recipe baked. very impressive lady

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Ha! Thanks Heather! I usually get swayed a lot by FB too. :)

23. Kristen posted on November 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm (#)

What a fun glimpse into your day! You are one busy lady!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Us mom’s are crazy people. And most of everyone else has multiple children. I just couldn’t do it!

24. Mom posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

Looks like a great day! And everyone seems to love that you have 2 KAs…lol You deserve a break tomorrow; oh wait, tomorrow is Wednesday again and you get to do it all over!!! Sorry, I’m laughing. What are mom’s for??????
    xoxo

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Yup, and Mel is really gone this time – no pushing her to him for bed, lol!

25. Christi @ Love From The Oven posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

I love this! It’s no wonder our girls are the same – I think we are a bit. Well, I’m lacking that whole calendar and the workout thing, but the photo set up and ability to create mounds of clutter and be completely freaked the heck out by it – spot on. Seriously, is there not some sort of FDA Approved medication for that yet??? Until then, I guess there is chocolate. I’m trying not to drink during the week. And by that I mean week-DAY. I figure each day I don’t resort to daytime drinking is one more day of winning! Though winning might be overrated, margaritas on the other hand… ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

LMAO. I like your thinking. It’s okay if I make it through the day without a drink! :) And yes, I need some sort of medication. I mean, someone who makes as much clutter as I do should not have an anxiety attack when she walks in her house. It’s just not right. Thanks for organizing this Christi!

26. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

This was so fun to read, Dorothy! Thanks for sharing with us :)

27. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:32 pm (#)

You crack me up, Dorothy. You’re so funny. Thanks for giving us the inside scoop to your day! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for reading Erin!

28. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm (#)

I LOVE this post so much Dorothy!!! I was literally laughing out loud at some of your comments. You work SO hard on your blog, baking, dishes (do they multiply on their own? because they do in my sink), and being a mommy. I love seeing how other bloggers handle their jobs. I feel like I am a crazed maniac somedays, but it’s nice to know I’m not alone. And I don’t even have kids yet! I don’t know how you guys do it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Sally! I don’t know how people with young kids do it. At least mine is gone most of the day!! And OMG the dishes. I swear there is a gnome in there waving his wand and making more of them. I know it!

29. Jackie posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

You’re such a gifted writer Dorothy! (amongst other talents) You have a great way to keep my interest and make me giggle.

:o)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Jackie! And thanks for always being so supportive of my blog! xo

30. Kristin posted on November 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

Your day seems a lot like my day…if you sub “baking/dishes” with “teaching”. I feel like it never stops and there’s always more to do and I don’t even have kids. I, coincidentally, wrote up a post like this over the weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Oh, teaching. You work SO FREAKING HARD and it really does never end! Kuddos to you!

31. Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More posted on November 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

I’m exhausted just reading that! Whoa! I can’t remember what I did last Wednesday, but I’m sure I thought I was so busy….NOT. Not like you anyway!!

32. Laurie F. posted on November 5, 2013 at 8:54 pm (#)

Wow! You must be the queen of organization! What an interesting post! I am looking forward to the pie tips, Dorothy!

33. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on November 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm (#)

I absolutely loved getting a sneak peek into your day. I don’t know how you do it! You are ah-mazing!

34. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on November 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm (#)

Love this and yes have wine on wednesdays- it goes hand in hand “wine wednesdays”!! ;)

35. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com posted on November 6, 2013 at 12:50 am (#)

Oh my gosh, I was getting PTSD reading this post, reliving my own busiest days–all those dishes, all that photography! Good thing we love it, otherwise it would be totally overwhelming, right? :)

36. Beth @ Hungry Happenings posted on November 6, 2013 at 4:58 am (#)

It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in how much and how often I’m in the kitchen baking, cooking and cleaning. Your day is sure full, but don’t you just love that you can do something as joyful as baking all day, as opposed to working in an office or something? My friends don’t get why I’m making blogging my new career. I love it! You certainly have done an amazing job making Crazy for Crust a wonderful career. Continued success.

37. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on November 6, 2013 at 6:47 am (#)

I loved reading your day! It’s surprisingly similar to the way my day usually goes down! ;) And that dinner from Panera looked amazing!

38. Gina posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:45 am (#)

Totally love seeing your day!!

Have to ask who you host with now? I’m with Bluehost & for a long while I had a lot of issues. Fingers crossed those times are over but I like to keep my options open just in case.

39. June G. posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm (#)

Girl! You have two mixers?! What a dream! Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed seeing your day:)

40. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch posted on November 6, 2013 at 6:32 pm (#)

Oh my goodness Dorthy I’m so thankful I’m not the only one with a on going living and growing pile of dishes! If they could ever just be done and the glass of wine was well earned!

41. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm (#)

Dorothy = Super Woman!
    Wow, thanks for the “behind the scenes”, love this post! Absolutely amazing what you do every day!

42. Alex posted on November 6, 2013 at 8:37 pm (#)

I love this! Wow, Wonder Woman! I am happy if I get two blog posts done in a week! ;)

43. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on November 7, 2013 at 4:30 am (#)

I love this post! I think I do about a kazillion dishes during the day too. Most people think I’m crazy for not putting a dishwasher in when we remodeled our kitchen, but most of the time I need my whisk and bowls right away and can’t wait the 45 minutes it takes the dishwasher to wash them. Wine at the end of the day is the perfect treat for all the hard work.

44. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on November 8, 2013 at 8:01 pm (#)

Love this! I’m so glad I’m not the only one that does 3 loads of dishes a day… It’s fun to see a peek into your life.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Way. Too. Many. Dishes! :)

45. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on November 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm (#)

I knew from the instant I saw the photo of your kindle exactly where you were in the series. So glad you finally decided to indulge in the pure joy of Potter!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’m onto book 5 now. I’m SO IN LOVE!

46. Jocelyn@Brucrewlife posted on November 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm (#)

Loved reading how your day went! Definite similarities in our days!! ;)