Sep 13

Fall Bucket List for Food Bloggers {Crust and Crumbs}

Happy Friday my peeps! I hope you had a great week. I can’t really believe it’s Friday already…and that it’s mid-September. Um, wasn’t it just August?

1. I’ve been trying to come up with a Fall Bucket List for the family. Why? I don’t know. I’ll surely not complete all the tasks and then feel like a failure as a parent.

So instead, I made a Fall Bucket List for Food Bloggers. Because that was way more fun, and I’ll probably accomplish most of the items…

Food Blogger Fall Bucket List

The hair thing? Done.

2. I have been in pumpkin overload lately! This is my newest favorite Fall treat: Spiced Pumpkin Apple Dump Cake.

spiced pumpkin apple dump cake (2 of 5)w

Well, besides this one: Apple Cheesecake Bars

apple-cheesecake-bars (3 of 4)w

3. I hit a setback in my whole “think positively about myself” pledge. Last Saturday my back my back went out while doing a squat, and I couldn’t go to the gym (or walk) for a few days. It was nothing serious; I injured my lower back a few years ago and every once in awhile  – usually when I’m stressed and forget to stretch – it twinges and knots up. It’s back to semi-normal now (although I’m still babying my workouts) but the damage to my pledge was instant. The first thing I thought was “well, I’m going to get fat since I can’t workout” and the second thought was “I’ll need to stop eating.” (That second one lasted until lunch.) The “fat” one is ongoing, but I’m trying to remind myself it’s not forever, just a few days, and it doesn’t make a difference.

How do you handle setbacks like this one?

4. One of my favorite pins from last week: This Apple Pie Pull-Apart Bread from Heather’s French Press. Doesn’t it look to die for?

9c4f8d496c2d91fe77419cdc88e3a595

5. This post, my Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge, continues to go insane whenever I share it. I’m taking that to mean y’all love fudge. I’ll be happy to feed that addiction in the coming months!

Lemon Pie Fudge

{Also, the comments have spawned a whole debate on whether or not a 2 year old can have a root canal. I mean, really??}

6. Books I’ve read lately:

Some Kind of Wonderful by Barbara Freethy

Murder in Plain Sight (Hqn) by Marta Perry

I’m also considering re-reading Twilight. Again.

7. How excited are you for the next Hunger Games movie? Only a few months left to wait!

A movie I’m wondering about? 50 Shades. How exactly are they going to bring that to the big screen?

8. The new TV season is starting soon! I can’t wait for Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Wife, and Big Bang Theory. What are you excited about?

9. Thursday was Blogger Spouse Appreciation Day, a totally needed but made up holiday. Go check out the post about my husband and all the other posts too!

peanut butter pretzel toffee cookies 3(3 of 6)w

10. I’m missing my birthday next weekend because I’ll be at the Duncan Hines Test Kitchen (squeal!) so in order to placate Jordan, I’m having a fake birthday this weekend. So, uh, don’t get confused by all the instagrams, okay? :)

11. A few weeks ago we got some news that reminded me that life is precious. A dad in a family we know broke his neck in a horrible freak accident and is a quadriplegic. I cannot even imagine what the family is going through right now, emotionally and physically. Our community has turned out in huge support of the family and the whole situation reminds you to hug your loved ones. Live life fully – today. Don’t waste any moments, don’t take anything for granted. So…go hug your husband, your kids. Call your mom, pet your dog. Life is short, and it can change in an instant.

Peace-out.

IMG_3543

Have  a great weekend!

68 Responses to “Fall Bucket List for Food Bloggers {Crust and Crumbs}”

1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on September 13, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

omg that list is hilarious!

My prayers are with your babysitters’ father and their whole family! When I was young my dad’s cousin’s husband (I know that sounds distant but we were/are pretty close) fell down the stairs and became a quadriplegic–it’s incredibly difficult and his wife has SO much work to take care of him, but he’s mostly doing ok and he’s certainly still a spitfire lol.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Kayle! I know it will work out (well, as much as that sort of thing can). I just can’t imagine the stress and toll it’s taking right now! So sad.

2. Wendy posted on September 13, 2013 at 7:49 am (#)

I am adding one to the bucket list: Pin every one of Dorothy’s amazing recipes BUT don’t bake and eat them all at once or you will explode! :) Really, Dorothy, I am ok with one irresistible recipe per post but this is unfair. :) Now I need to prioritize (not a strong suit of mine) and I think I am starting with (right after hugging my family and my dog) the lemon meringue fudge.
    Life is so short and so precious. I truly wish we could appreciate every moment without any heart breaking reminders. Sigh. My best wishes for your baby sitter’s dad and his family.
    Jordan’s pic needs to be the pictorial definition of “peace out” ! What a cutie!
    (p.s. My hair started out the color of fall. :) People used to ask me if I dyed it to match my golden retriever!)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I wish I could have my golden’s hair. So pretty! And thank you Wendy!

3. Miss Messy posted on September 13, 2013 at 8:04 am (#)

I absolutely adore this bucket list! It’s awesome! :)

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 13, 2013 at 9:31 am (#)

Love these posts, Dorothy! Jordan looks so adorable and happy bday to her! And so sweet of you to plan ahead.

The neck break -omg my heart aches for him and the family. So sad and such a reminder as you said.

Your back. Funny..my knee does this to me too and I hate it when I cannot get a proper workout in and have to baby it for week(s) sometimes. I try to remind myself that it’s not the end of the world even though it feels like it at the time (going thru it now)!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I’m sorry about your knee!! That totally sucks. I hope it’s better soon, or we can baby our injuries together next weekend, ha! (And it isn’t Jordan’s birthday, it’ll be mine. OMG if I left on her birthday I’d never hear the end of it!! lol)

5. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on September 13, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

I’m so sorry to hear about your babysitter’s dad. My prayers go out to her family today.
    That list is wonderful and I need to pin it to remind myself :) I’m so excited for Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and Big Bang Theory!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thank you Zainab! And thanks for the pin!

6. Christina posted on September 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm (#)

I’m really excited for the next Hunger game movie and for Fall TV, especially Parenthood to start again! So sorry to hear about your babysitter’s dad. :( It’s so true, life can change so quickly!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I need to get Parenthood on Netflix. I watched the first season and didn’t after, why? I don’t know. And I know, an instant can change everything. So sad!

7. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on September 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm (#)

Looking forward to all the delicious pumpkin desserts you’ll be turning out, Dorothy! Also, I’m so sorry about your babysitter’s Dad, what a tough time this must be for them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 13th, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I know, it’s so sad!!! Thanks for reading Georgia!

8. Kristy posted on September 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm (#)

I love your fall bucket list!! So fun (and funny!)

9. Heather @ French Press posted on September 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm (#)

not THAT is a bucket list! LOVE it- and I am hugging my family a little closer right now! Happy Friday. I feel so blessed that I can call you a friend – oh and thanks for the shout out

10. Mom posted on September 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

So sorry about your friend. I’ve got a great pumpkin pie recipe if you want to give it a try. Love the list… :)

11. Tieghan posted on September 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm (#)

So sorry to hear about you friend. That is so sad!

LOVE the bucket list! That has got to be the best thing ever. So fun!

12. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on September 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm (#)

I have a bad back too, it blows!! The apple dump cake looks gorgeous, I want some with vanilla ice cream!! I love Jordan’s look- I totally dressed like that!!

13. Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling posted on September 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm (#)

I love this bucket list….it gave me some good laughs and a few things to think about (I SHOULD be stock-piling photos for the dreary winter months……aggghhhh!!) I also love your commentary on blogging, life, and what really matters :)

14. Tahnycooks posted on September 14, 2013 at 6:03 am (#)

I love these reminders and tips!

15. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on September 14, 2013 at 6:42 am (#)

LAUGHED OUT LOUD.

16. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on September 14, 2013 at 7:05 am (#)

This totally made me smile :) I’m having trouble finding Halloween candy let alone Christmas candy! My stores need to step it up. Have a great weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Right? Get on it stores, we’re bloggers!! :) lol

17. Kristin posted on September 14, 2013 at 10:38 am (#)

I’m in a “now I have a job and don’t have time to workout” setback (but it’s kind of a GOOD reason for a setback, you know?). I’m trying hard to convince myself that it’s okay for awhile.

I think I’m going to try pumpkin pancakes tomorrow.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

It IS okay for awhile – plus, you’re probably eating less since you’re not home all the time! Congrats on the job!

18. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on September 14, 2013 at 10:58 am (#)

Ambitious list…love it! Can’t wait for the next Hunger Games movie. I really enjoyed the books. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I am so excited for it Tina!

19. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on September 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm (#)

Eek! I can’t wait to meet you next weekend. That sucks that you don’t get to spend your birthday with your family, though. I think that means you should celebrate the weekend before and the weekend after. Just in case.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Totally – two birthdays! :) I’m excited to meet you too Renee!!

20. Trish posted on September 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm (#)

Seems like every time I make some sort of fitness commitment I injure myself. It’s so frustrating!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Every time I get going on a good workout, I end up doing something. I need to stretch more!

21. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on September 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm (#)

Cute bucket list Dorothy! I think I could manage the dead leaves thing but that is about it! Oh my what a wonderful birthday that you get to spend it in the Duncan Hines test kitchen! Can’t wait to see every ones photos from there!!

22. Tiffany posted on September 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm (#)

HAHAHA! Love the list. SO TRUE!

23. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on September 14, 2013 at 9:22 pm (#)

Awesome bucket list! :D I definitely need to cross some of those things off!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Ha, me too! Thanks Kristi!

24. Emily @ Life on Food posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:40 am (#)

OMG that is a boatload of pumpkin. I think I am up for the challenge!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

And there’s more where that came from! :) Thanks Emily!

25. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:51 am (#)

1. Love the bucket list.
    3. You’re gorgeous and amazing.
    7a. SO EXCITED.
    7b. Yeah . . .
    10. Absolutely jealous and was totally confused.
    11. All true. Prayers to that family and the community supporting them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Ha! I had to reopen the post to read your comment, lol. Thanks Lisa!

26. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm (#)

I can’t even tell you how much I love that food bloggers list. All.SO.True. And ha – I just pulled out my Twilight books and have been considering reading them again. You’d think I was 15 and not um, 30-something.

I can’t even fathom what that family/their friends are going through right now. I’m keeping everyone in my prayers.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:31 pm

OMG! I know. I lent book 1 to a friend and I want to call her and be all “Hurry up I want it back!!” :)

Thanks Ashley!

27. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on September 15, 2013 at 7:48 pm (#)

Oh my goodness I cracked up several times while readying this post, which lead my hubby to think I’m a crazy person then question why I was laughing. He just couldn’t understand the Bloggers Bucket list or the 50 Shades reference. His loss!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

LOL, my husband wouldn’t get it either. Maybe we should take them to the movie and just be all “it’s a great one honey! You’ll love it!” Bwahahaha…

28. Amy posted on September 15, 2013 at 8:19 pm (#)

I love the “Pick leaves off the lawn for a photo shoot” idea on your Fall Bucket List — that’s so creative!! I’ll have to get mine from the park down the street though; our dog only does her business on leaves. Seriously. She sniffs every single leaf until she finds the perfect one. Gah!

And hang in there!! The fact that you were able to label your negative thoughts as a “setback” instead of completely caving in shows a huge amount of strength. You’re growing day by day, and it’s inspiring that you share your thoughts and journey with us! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

LOL! Same with ours… :)

29. Laurie F. posted on September 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm (#)

Hi, Dorothy! The lemon fudge looks killer -I can’t wait to try it! I am looking forward to the return of the fall TV shows Revenge and Nashville – both have such dizzying plot twists, I’m thinking it will keep my brain young. And more installments of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, because I redneckonize that it’s a fun-loving and happy and loving family, however different than ours. Our hearts go out to your family friends that had the horrible accident! Pete has a friend from Burlingame High football days who became a paraplegic at age 19, when home for the summer after a year at college on a football scholarship.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I remember you telling me about him Laurie! And he’s living a good life now, I just hope that for this family too. :)

I need to watch Nashville, I don’t know why I never did. It was on my list!

30. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on September 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm (#)

Love the bucket list! I just bought candy corn today for no apparent reason …. except I saw another woman stocking up and was afraid of a shortage :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

LOL!! So something I would do….

31. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on September 17, 2013 at 5:59 am (#)

Haha, awesome list! :)

32. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on September 17, 2013 at 6:44 am (#)

We all have so much to be thankful for… what a reminder. Love this list! Got a good kick out of it. :)

33. Jenne posted on September 17, 2013 at 11:37 am (#)

Love the list! Pumpkin is definitely something I have planning recipes are for October LOL. Guess I am behind.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 18th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I can’t believe I was early this year!!

34. Erika posted on September 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm (#)

Love your list! Especially the hair idea. However, I’m finding that there are already waaaay too many Christmas candies, and while that’s nothing to complain about, what happened to Thanksgiving? Or Halloween for that matter… Sorry to hear about your family friend. :( In my prayers!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I know, Thanksgiving is totally the forgotten stepchild. I’m totally devoting so many pies to it in the next few months!

35. Pingback: Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting - Blahnik Baker

36. Laura Dembowski posted on September 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm (#)

That bucket list is hilarious! Love fall TV too (even if I don’t love fall) and Grey’s is one of my faves. It’s really tough to stay positive. Exercise and body image is really important to me (probably a little too important), and I’ve had a few injuries so I know what you’re going through. I sprained my ankle almost 2 years ago and still think about it all the time, and I have on going issues with runners’ knee. When I sprained my ankle I actually lost weight because I ate less and played tons of Wii boxing and tennis. Now I use the elliptical a lot because it’s so much easier on my joints. If you are going to be super stressed about what’s going to happen when you’re dealing with an injury (like me), try to watch what you eat and find some form of exercise that you can do. I’m not sure what would be okay to do with an injured back, but there’s probably something. And know you are not alone :)

37. Teresa posted on September 28, 2013 at 5:42 am (#)

Lemon Meringue Pie Fudge? Talking about taking lemon love to another level! Your list rocks by the way.
    Visiting from SITS