Dec 15

Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook}

In the wake of the horrible events of Friday, December 14th, we wanted to organize a way for bloggers and people all over the world to show their tribute and unite in support of Newtown, Connecticut and Sandy Hook Elementary School.

It’s times like these when we feel helpless; we want to DO something but we don’t know what.

On Friday, December 21, 2012, we are going to honor the victims, families, and community of Newtown by doing a post in their honor. Cookies an Crafts for Sandy Hook will be one way we can show support in the aftermath of this unimaginable event.

On Friday, December 21, write a post sharing a cookie or a craft and a tribute to Sandy Hook Elementary School. There is no specific requirement…just do or make something to show your support. Maybe something you would make for, or with, your children.

Please spread the word about this united effort wherever you can. You can use the hashtag #BloggersforSandyHook.

Don’t have a blog? That’s okay. You can still share something for Sandy Hook. Take a picture and post it on your Facebook wall, your Twitter feed. Share on Instagram or your Google+ or wherever you can to unite us in our tribute.

Something people always think about in times like this is how they can help monetarily. After some searching, we found the Newtown Youth and Family Services website. According to their website, Newtown Youth and Family Services, Inc. is a “licensed, non-profit, mental health clinic and youth services bureau dedicated to helping children and families achieve their highest potential. NYFS provides programs, services, activities, counseling, support groups and education throughout the Greater Newtown area.” All donations made to them are going to go back to those affected by the school shooting. You can find their website here.

Many bloggers have Etsy shops or businesses and have expressed a desire to donate some profits from sales on Friday, December 21 to this organization or others to help the victims, their families, and the community. The following is a list of such businesses. If you own a shop and would like to contribute some of your profits on Friday, December 21, please add your link to the list. I will put the list in my post on Friday, and make it available to anyone who wishes to also put it in their post.

Let’s come together as a community, a country, a world this Friday. We can show our support for the victims of this through our words, our prayers, and our support. Thank you.

This event is brought to you by: Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, The Red Headed Baker, Real Housemoms, Crazy for Crust, Something Swanky, Life After Laundry, Two Kids Cooking, Frugal Foodie Mama, The Doctorate Housewife, Heather’s French Press, Operation Dinnertime, Lovely Pantry, What’s Cooking Love?, Cupcakes and Kale Chips, Occasionally Crafty, Pint Sized Baker, Pineapple and CoconutWine & GlueLemonsforluluA Sweet Baker, Mom On TimeoutThe Freshman Cook, Sweet Twist of BloggingA Family FeastJulie’s Eats & TreatsEat at Allie’sHere Comes the SunThe Kitchen is My PlaygroundJust My Crazy KitchenThe Sweet Chick,  The Tasty ForkWholly Delicious Dishes,  Chocolate, Chocolate and more , Yours and Mine ARE Ours,  Kitchen Meets GirlDaily Dish Recipes, Sweet Bella Roos

60 Responses to “Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook}”

1. Mom posted on December 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm (#)

Great job, Kiddo! I’m proud of you.
    Mom :}

2. Pingback: Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook} « Doctorate Housewife

3. Barbara | Creative Culinary posted on December 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm (#)

A friend of mine and I did something very similar to this initiation to offer support and assistance to the victims of Hurricane Sandy. It might seem a small token but it was not received that way; the people in that area that saw the effort were touched and grateful. It can begin to seem as if no one in the larger community really is aware or cares; this effort will surely send a message that conveys just the opposite. I do plan to participate; thanks for doing this.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 15th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thank you Barbara, and thanks for participating! Spread the word!

4. Pamela posted on December 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm (#)

Thanks so much Dorothy for doing this! I will have my post up on Friday, and 1/2 of my Etsy shop proceeds will go to the fund! I also tweeted about this! In the lieu of this tragedy we can all help in a special way!

5. Janine Huldie posted on December 16, 2012 at 4:54 am (#)

This is truly awesome and I have already actually done this in my pst yesterday believe it or not. Also, I belong to a Facebook Blogging support group that has come together to help one of our own. She lost a dear friend’s little boy to this senseless tragedy and have banded together to start a collection for this family. With the proceeds, we will be helping to defray funeral costs (something no parent should even have to think about at this kid’s tender age) and purchasing a star in his name, as well. Please do check out my blog with the details if you are interested in supporting at http://janinehuldie.com.

6. Erin @ Making Memories posted on December 16, 2012 at 7:37 am (#)

This is wonderful. You’re right when you said we sit here and feel helpless. WHat a great way to show support!

7. Pingback: Blogging for Sandy Hook | Branny Boils Over

8. Pingback: Cookie Delivery Printable {Teacher Love} | Crazy for Crust

9. Lisa posted on December 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm (#)

Well said, Dorothy!

10. Pingback: Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook - Lemons for Lulu | Lemons for Lulu

11. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on December 17, 2012 at 10:58 am (#)

What a great tribute, Dorothy. I’m still numb from the news. It’s sad that all the schools have to have security now, my daughters school is like Fort Knox!

My heart is breaking. I’ll certainly be joining in and making some treats with the help of my children in tribute to those poor children and heroic teachers. May they rest in peace. :(

12. Holly posted on December 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm (#)

It was with a heavy heart that I baked a special cookie to share this Friday. It’s hard to understand how such a tragedy could occur. My heart breaks for the families of the children and the teachers whose lives ended too soon.

13. Pingback: Holly Madeleines & Crazy Sweet Tuesday | Crazy for Crust

14. Pingback: Cookies and crafts for sandy hook | Lovely Pantry

15. Cindy Eikenberg posted on December 18, 2012 at 8:19 am (#)

I found my way to you via Gingersnap Crafts and I am so happy that I did! Thank you so much for organizing this effort and it will be an honor and blessing to participate in this tribute on Friday.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 18th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for joining in Cindy!

16. Pingback: Hope you’ll Join Us! Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook} | The Daily Dish Recipes

17. Pingback: Eggnog Pie | Crazy for Crust

18. Emily posted on December 19, 2012 at 10:00 am (#)

As a mother I was deeply saddened at the news. I will be honored to join in, what a beautiful tribute to the lives of those little ones and staff.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thank you for joining Emily!

19. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on December 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm (#)

What a great idea! I am glad that I came across this, and will be participating on Friday!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks for joining in Erin!

20. Pingback: Candy Cane Infused Vodka | Crazy for Crust

21. Demi Spencer posted on December 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm (#)

I really love this idea and I’m all for it! I will be honored to partake in this with you. We are already doing some things for the school and community. I’m the Cubmaster for my son’s Cub Scout pack and 2 of the boys killed were Cub Scouts so we are also doing things locally for them!

I can’t wait to see how this all turns out. God Bless You!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 20th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Demi! I can’t wait to see it either!

22. Pingback: Mediterranean Turkey Sandwich « The Tasty Fork

23. Melissa posted on December 20, 2012 at 11:29 am (#)

Dorothy, Thank you for this idea. I will certainly be posting.

PS-I added my link to your linky…is that supposed to be for bloggers who are participating or just for shops?

• crazyforcrust replied on December 20th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for joining in! The linky is just for the shops participating. :)

• Melissa replied on December 21st, 2012 at 2:58 am

Oh dear….because I linked up at work and now I’m at home, I can’t remove my link. I’m sorry!

24. The Partiologist posted on December 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#)

This is such a wonderful idea, thank you so much for organizing it. I will be posting tomorrow morning.

25. Stacy posted on December 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm (#)

Dorothy, count me in on this…I will be participating! Thank you for coordinating this effort. :) xoxo ~Stacy

• crazyforcrust replied on December 20th, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for joining in Stacy!

26. Pingback: Sugar Cookies

27. Pingback: Chocolate Cherry Cookies #BloggersForSandyHook | Lovely Pantry

28. Pingback: Cake Mix Sugar Cookies | Crazy for Crust

29. Pingback: I Whisk You: Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies –

30. Pingback: Making Angels to Remember | Life After Laundry

31. Pingback: Christmas Crafts and Cookies, Anyone? — Abby Off the Record

32. Pingback: PB & J Cookie Bars #bloggersforsandyhook - whollydeliciousdishes.com

33. Pingback: Chocolate Dipped Spice Cookies {#BloggersforSandyHook} | The Daily Dish Recipes

34. Pingback: Lego Man Pops | Whisk Together

35. Pingback: Bloggers for Sandy Hook: Molasses Honey Ginger Cookies « Honesty's Protégée

36. Pingback: Cookies in Honor of Sandy Hook

37. Pingback: Candy Cane Christmas Trees Craft - Mom On Timeout

38. Mary @ HowDoYouCook.com posted on December 21, 2012 at 11:41 am (#)

Thank you so much for this great idea. I am honored to participate.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 21st, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thank you for joining in Mary!

39. Pingback: Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies

40. Pingback: Spritz - Cookies for Sandy Hook - A Family Feast

41. Pingback: Cookies and Crafts for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook} - Yours and Mine ARE Ours

42. Pingback: Peppermint Christmas Lollipops

43. Pingback: Reindeer Poop Peanut Butter Balls

44. Pingback: Ultimate Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

45. Pingback: Oscar the Grouch Peppermint Cookies |

46. Pingback: A Tale for Bakers-Twas the Week Before Christmas |

47. Pingback: Lego Man Pops

48. Pingback: Cookies and Crafting for Sandy Hook {#BloggersforSandyHook} | Wine Lady Cooks