Nov 12

Crazy Sweet Tuesday

Welcome to Crazy Sweet Tuesday, where we shimmy for sugar!

{I have to thank my friend Shannon for that saying. I wish I’d thought of it on my own!}

Before we start the party, I want to share with you what we did this past weekend.

I have been saddened and awed (not in a good way) at the images of the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. It’s at times like these that I feel helpless; I can’t very well pick up and go to the front lines and help people, but I want to. Sure, I can text to donate to the Red Cross…but still. While it’s helpful, I still feel like I need to DO something. So last weekend, with the help of some wonderful friends, we did. We hosted a bake sale to raise money for the Red Cross and Hurricane Sandy victims.

I made treats, and all our friends made some too. A local business gave us their blessing to put a table in front of their store, and we spent a few hours on Saturday afternoon selling to the community.

The kids collected money, and even stood out on the corner and directed the traffic into the shopping center. And the community came out – people were dropping extra money into the jar. No one wanted change at all. One lady gave us $25, for two cookies!

And, thanks to everyone’s hard work…we made $180 for the Red Cross. The kids had a great time, and, I think, learned a valuable lesson. I want to thank the community and all our friends for helping out!

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you affected by Hurricane Sandy. Know that the rest of the country is thinking about you, even though we cannot be there to physically help! :)

Now…on with the party!

Features…here is what caught my eye last week:

Coconut Cream Dream Brownies by Living the Sweet Life

Gingerbread Caramel Corn by La Petite Baker

Creamy Lemon Meringue Bars by The Kitchen Cookie

Chewy Eggnog Caramels by Wonky Wonderful

Mississippi Mud Dip by The Kitchen Prep

And the most clicked sweet was…

Knock You Naked Bars by Julies’ Eats and Treats

{A friend of mine happened to make some bars just like Julie’s for the sale. Ohmigod they were so good. Make her bars. You need them in your life!}

Thank you to everyone for linking last week! You’re all amazing, and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for me this week. All features have been pinned and will be shared on Facebook through out the day.

Let’s start the sugar celebration!

Please remember…sweets only! And, um, family friendly desserts, please. :)

43 Responses to “Crazy Sweet Tuesday”

1. Nicole posted on November 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm (#)

Thanks for featuring my Chewy Eggnog Caramels, I linked up more Nog goodness this week! Great job on the bake sale, looks like the little ones were having fun for a great cause. Have a beautiful week :)

2. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on November 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm (#)

I love your bake sale idea! Looks like you had a great selection of goodies and the kids look like there were having fun :) Thanks for hosting and for all your support these past few weeks – you’ve kept me sane! Mostly.

3. Pingback: Glazed Apple Pan Pie

4. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on November 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm (#)

I really love your bake sale idea! It makes me all warm & fuzzy inside. Isn’t it great that sweet treats can help people in need? Sugar may just be the answer to all the world’s problems. ;0)

5. Anita posted on November 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm (#)

Dorothy, your bake sale was a super idea, congratulations on your success for the Red Cross and those needing aid from the storm devastation. I can also see that you young moms are teaching your young ones to be helpful and kind to others when they are in need, awesome!

6. tanya posted on November 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm (#)

What a wonderful thing to do with the kids! A wonderful lesson in helping those in need! As usual, thank you so much for hosting Dorothy!

7. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm (#)

Way to go on your bake sale! You have such a big heart :) The world needs more people like you. Thanks for the feature too!

8. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm (#)

Thank you for hosting Dorothy!! And that bake sale – it looked like so much fun. You do have a big heart :)

9. Heather @French Press posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm (#)

what a great idea – the bake sale:) wish we could have been there
    thanks for the party

10. Elaine posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

I love that you did a bake sale to raise money! Such a fantastic idea. And what an accomplishment for raising that much money!! :)

11. Susan posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm (#)

Thank you for the bake sale–my daughter lives in New Jersey and we have tons of friends in New York and this will be so appreciated–looks yummy too!

12. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:36 pm (#)

Thanks for the party once again. Always great features!

13. Jenn posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm (#)

What a good person you are to put on a bake sale and donate the money to the Red Cross. Any little bit helps, right!

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on November 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm (#)

What a fantastic way to show your daughter how big your heart is for others. She is going to remember this forever! Now let’s start shimmying for some sugar:-) Thank you for the super sweet party!!

15. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on November 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm (#)

Thanks for hosting Dorothy! I linked up my peach pie bars…don’t worry, knowing how much you love peach I won’t hold my breath on a feature, hehe!! I love how you taught your daughter how to help others, so touching!!!

16. Pingback: Peach Pie Bars

17. cindy posted on November 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

Love the bake sale idea. The cute kids helped the cause too! Looks like a great party. I must try the naked bars.

18. Lyuba @willcookforsmiles posted on November 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm (#)

Thanks for hosting Dorothy!
    Have a wonderful week :)

19. Tumbleweed Contessa posted on November 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm (#)

Good for you! I love bake sales! They are the best way to show love and support. Best wishes and have a good week. Thanks for hosting.

20. Aubrey @ Real Housemoms posted on November 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm (#)

What a great idea Dorothy to hold a bake sale! I love it and I bet the kids had a great time while doing good for others. Thanks for hosting the party! I love all the great sweets. I hope you’ll stop by our site on Fridays for Fabulous Fridays!

21. Deb@CookingOnTheFrontBurner posted on November 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm (#)

What a great idea for a bake sale! What a nice thing to do….

22. Claire @ A Little Claireification posted on November 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm (#)

Thank you so much for hosting!! :) – Claire

23. Kristin posted on November 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm (#)

That’s a pretty awesome example that you set for Jordan and her friends. :)

24. Back For Seconds posted on November 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm (#)

You are such a good mom, and a good example to all of us! Such a sweet thing to do! I’m glad it was so successful and perhaps you’ve inspired others to do something similar to raise funds,
    Thanks for the party. Sorry to link and run earlier, I had a slight baby emergency on my hands!

25. Winnie posted on November 13, 2012 at 2:22 am (#)

Great idea for the bake-sale !!

26. Pingback: Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Cake

27. Carolina HeartStrings posted on November 13, 2012 at 3:31 am (#)

Dorothy. We linked up a wonderful pumpkin dump cake today and we are having a $75 swank bag giveaway from Pick Your Plum this week. Come over and register for your chance at this wonderful bag.

28. Joan@Chocolate and More posted on November 13, 2012 at 4:11 am (#)

Dorothy, what a wonderful idea and great experience for all those girls. They should all be very proud! Thanks for hosting, hope you’re having a great week!

29. Tash Peters posted on November 13, 2012 at 4:57 am (#)

Thanks for hosting, I’ve only just discovered what link parties are so absolutely thrilled to take part :D x

30. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on November 13, 2012 at 5:55 am (#)

Thanks again for hosting! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your week!

31. Pingback: Quick & Easy Peanut Butter Fudge

32. LIzy b posted on November 13, 2012 at 8:50 am (#)

I”m totally shimmying…can you tell?

33. Stella B's Kitchen posted on November 13, 2012 at 8:57 am (#)

Thanks for hosting and GREAT JOB on your sale! How wonderful!!!

34. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen posted on November 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm (#)

Thanks so much for hosting, Dorothy. Great job on the bake sale. What a fabulous idea to help those in need! Hope the rest of your week is fantastic.

35. Kate | Food Babbles posted on November 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm (#)

I can’t wait to go look at everyone’s submissions! And those “know you naked bars” look ridiculous! Don’t know how I missed them last week. Yum!

36. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on November 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm (#)

I LOVE that you hosted a bake sale! And I LOVE all of the fab treats I see here every week. Thanks for hosting!!

37. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on November 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm (#)

Well done Dorothy! The bake sale looks like a fantastic way to raise money. All the treats look amazing as usual too. I’m not really surprised that no-one wanted change, at 50c a treat, that’d be crazy! ;) I literally aww’d at the woman that gave $25 for 2 cookies. Bless her. Great cause.

38. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on November 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing what you did for the bake sale, and for responding to my questions last week. You have inspired me and I really appreciated hearing how you go about implementing something like this.

It’s great that you are teaching Jordan this “How can I help?” attitude. If we want to live in a world where we all take care of each other, we’ve got to start by teaching our kids!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 14th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks so much Katie. :)

39. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on November 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm (#)

I (think) I shared my pumpkin pie ice cream. I don’t see it yet…but I’m impatient.

Yikes! Everything looks delicious!

40. Sarah @ See Sarah Bake posted on November 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm (#)

It’s so amazing to see the good in people when others are in need.

41. Pingback: Microwave Caramel Corn - Julie's Eats & Treats