May 22

Almond Joy Crescent Rolls

{Pssst…it’s still Almond Joy Week round these parts. You excited??}

I love to travel. In fact, if we ever won the lottery (which means I would actually have to play) I think I’d get Jordan a tutor and travel all the time. I love seeing new places, revisiting old ones, staying in hotels and eating out in new places (let’s not confuse that with trying new things; we all know I don’t do that).

In fact, the whole eating thing on trips is one of my favorite parts. So much so that I have a “TV Food Maps” app on my phone with which I can search eateries nearby that were featured on my favorite food TV shows, like Cupcake Wars.

And then there is what I call “nostalgic eating” on trips. When you visit a place you once lived and eat to your hearts content. (Like when I go home to my parents’ and overindulge on Village Host and Preston’s.)

This summer we have some free flights and not a lot of money, so we’re going to Arizona. (Hot summers in Arizona = super cheap hotels.) We lived in Chandler (outside Phoenix) for about five years after we got married. Jordan was born there and I haven’t been back in a few years.

As soon as I heard where we were going to go my mind started working (as did my stomach, in anticipation). Most of what I want to do there is eat, no app needed.

We’re going to Dilly’s Deli, for sure. It was the first place we ever ate in Tempe (our realtor took us there on our first trip down to find a house back in 2002) and it boasted grilled sandwiches before paninis were all the rage.

Paradise Bakery. For cookies. EVERY DAY.

Chompie’s. Oh, Chompie’s. There is actually one across the street from our hotel. I’d eat there for every meal if I could. Bagels, diner food. Sandwiches bigger than your head. A New York style deli in the heart of the sweltering dessert. Because there is nothing I’d rather do besides eat five pounds of food when it’s 116 degrees.

The Hangar Cafe at the Chandler Airport. It’s a greasy spoon, and honestly, the food isn’t the best in the world. It’s the atmosphere (and the memories) that count. You park outside the airport and walk across the tarmac to get to the entrance, as airplanes drive by you. It was one of Jordan’s favorite places to go as a toddler.

Oh, and we’re going to see some sights too. The Zoo is the best one I’ve ever been too. And we’re going to hit Sedona. Where they have great ice cream and a really good Mexican restaurant.

Our hotel gives free “breakfast” and by that I mean stale pastry. I can assure you, there won’t be any of these babies in site. Too bad, too.

Although, since we have a kitchenette, I could go to the store and make some.

Since this is the easiest breakfast pastry ever. And, um, it’s candy for breakfast.

I’ll never say no to that!

Do you live in the Scottsdale/Phoenix/Chandler area? Any other haunts I should hit while we’re there? Most of our time will be in Scottsdale, but we will be going down to Chandler to show Jordan her old house and the hospital she was born in (she’s been asking to see it). Oh, and to hit The Hangar. And the Super Target at Germann & Gilbert, where Jordan spend 90% of her infanthood. Of course.

Almond Joy Crescent Rolls

• 1 tube crescent rolls (8)
  • 4 mini Almond Joy candy bars, cut in half to make 8 pieces
  • ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup toasted coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Unroll the crescent rolls. Place one half of each candy bar in the wide part of the crescent triangle. Roll up and place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls.
  3. Bake according to package directions. Once cool, melt your chocolate chips and drizzle over the crescent rolls. Sprinkle immediately with toasted coconut.

Notes

You can bake these in a toaster oven if your kitchen is too hot to turn on the oven, but it’ll take closer to 20 minutes to bake them. I prefer toasting coconut in a small frying pan on the stove. It gets me to remember it’s there, thus reducing the inevitability I will forget it in the oven making my house smell like burned coconut for three days.

(Wrapping stuff in crescent rolls ain’t new…these were most-likely inspired by Something Swanky or Pint Sized Baker.)

Some more blogland Almond Joy fabulousness:

Almond Joy Popcorn Munch by Inside BruCrew Life.
Almond Joy Oatmeal by Cookin’ Cowgirl.
Joyful Almond Cookies by Yammie’s Noshery.
Almond Joy Bars by The Ranch Wife Chronicles.
Almond Joy Cocktail by That’s What We Said.
Coconut Cream Pie with a Chocolate Crumb Crust by Barbara Bakes.

I link up to all of these fabulous parties each week!

Talent Show Tuesday at Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life, Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky, Chic-and-Crafty at the Frugal Girls, Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh, Sweet Tooth Friday at Alli-n-sons, I’m Lovin’ it Fridays at TidyMom, Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies, A Well-Seasoned LifeStrut your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters’ Stuff, and all of these too!

31 Responses to “Almond Joy Crescent Rolls”

1. Aimee posted on May 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

Dorothy these look amazing! So simple too, love that!

2. Hayley posted on May 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm (#)

Holy cow. I want one of these SO bad. I am going insane for coconut–I need my own Almond Joy MONTH.
    Also, I love vacation food! It always tastes better when it’s on vacation, even if it’s something basic like McDonald’s. Yummmm.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 22nd, 2012 at 6:52 pm

That’s for sure! I normally don’t like fast food, unless it’s on a road trip!

3. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm (#)

I am so jealous!! I went to college in Prescott and used to fly down to Chandler just to go get a bite to eat! I also miss Sedona so much! It is so beautiful there! I haven’t been back since… well… before my daughter was born?
    Anyway… I Need that app and I Need those crescent rolls!
    Have a fabulous vacation!

4. lizy b posted on May 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm (#)

I love vacation food! My most favorite…going to the grocery stores in different countries!!! Fascinating! I know, I’m a total dork. But my husband I love to do that. So neat to see the way people live everyday life and not just touristy stuff….
    But speaking of returning for yummy food…If I ever make it back to the Dallas area, I’m heading straight for Razoo’s cajun kitchen and ordering stuffed shrimp and rat-toes (crab stuffed jalapenos). Sooooooo good!
    Love the almond joy crescents!!!!

5. Kristin posted on May 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm (#)

Thanks for presenting candy as a breakfast food. If you can make this work, nothing is off limits :)

6. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on May 23, 2012 at 4:44 am (#)

oh that sounds like fun, I wish we could do a trip, but we will be hitting the local things, or just hanging out. I need to start playing the lottery too;p I hope it’s an amazing trip!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 24th, 2012 at 11:58 am

Thanks Sue! I wish the lotto was actually winnable. That would make life so much more fun. :)

7. Jocelyn posted on May 23, 2012 at 6:03 am (#)

Candy bars for breakfast? You know I am all over this one!! I’m loving this idea a little too much:-)

8. Julie posted on May 23, 2012 at 6:46 am (#)

So, here is the problem– this is SO EASY. Dangerously easy…….I’ll dig out my elastic waist pants…..

9. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:19 am (#)

I love Almond joy, I could totally get on board with these.

10. tom@morethanpepper posted on May 23, 2012 at 11:15 am (#)

love the blog title

11. Jenny @ The NY Melrose Family posted on May 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#)

That looks fabulous! Plus it seems so easy. Candy for breakfast. Love! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

12. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on May 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

Heavenly! You’re now my newest BFF! WE don’t have those candy bars here but it opens up a whole new world of candy bars for breakfast. And I’m going for this with a Bounty (you have that there, right?) inside. *Squeals*

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

13. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on May 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm (#)

Oops, I always forget things after I hit the publigh button. Duh!

I meant to ask you whether the crescent rolls are a sweet pastry or regular? I’m not too sure if they sell those here neither. Therefore wanted to know roughly what type of pastry it is so I can find something similar here. Thanks in advance.

14. Back for Seconds posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm (#)

WHat?? These look too good to be true! And too easy! WHo doesn’t love vacation food??

15. The Better Baker posted on May 24, 2012 at 11:21 am (#)

Oh you big tease! Two of my most favorite things in life – crescent rolls and almond joys – combined???? I could eat the whole panful myself. Lovely lovely creation!

16. Heather Kinnaird posted on May 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm (#)

candy for breakfast – I’m in for sure

17. Erin posted on May 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm (#)

Your almond joy week is killing me! So delicious! Eating is the best part of traveling for me too. I love it!

18. Monica Morelli posted on May 27, 2012 at 10:55 am (#)

I am absolutely drooling over these things! They look so fantastic.

19. Emily @ Life on Food posted on February 22, 2013 at 3:25 am (#)

Oh man these are good. I love almond joys. We went to Iowa last fall. I grew up there. We were visiting friends but really the whole trip was planned around food stops.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 22nd, 2013 at 6:26 am

That’s what I like to do!!! :) Especially where I grew up.

20. Kari@Loaves n Dishes posted on February 22, 2013 at 8:22 am (#)

This is the perfect way to use up all that chocolate that we get at holidays. Really great idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Yes, and it would be good with any candy! :) Thanks Kari!

21. Pingback: Easy Lemon Cream Danish - Crazy for Crust