Oreo Truffle Brownies
Why roll your Oreo Truffles when you can press them on top of brownies?? This is one of my favorite recipes: the original Oreo Truffle Brownies!!
About a year ago, Jordan’s school had an evening book and craft fair. We went to dinner with some friends and then drove over to the school to buy some new books.
As we walked through the parking lot, at 7:00 at night in the late Fall, the stars were coming out.
Jordan turned to me and said something to the effect of, “Wow, is this how dark it gets?”
I thought she was joking. Her friend and his mom laughed. And then I realized something.
She was serious. She really didn’t know how dark it gets.
Because she always goes to bed before 8:00. And, other than Halloween, we were hardly ever outside after dark. The poor child had been deprived of nighttime.
I’m really not a horrible parent. I just value my sanity.
You see, no matter what time she goes to bed, she wakes up no later than 6:30. Recently, we hit a long stretch of bouncing into my bedroom before six. And when she loses sleep it takes her days to recover it.
Days, people. Days of tantrums and general unpleasantness.
But this year I decided to be nice. We had people over for New Year’s Eve and let her stay up to celebrate the ball drop…with the East Coast live show at 9:00.
And I may have let her think it was midnight.
Maybe. But I will neither confirm nor deny that.
As for the screaming and unpleasantness…for going to bed at 10:00 pm, she was pretty good until bedtime Sunday. There may have been a lot of TV on that day. And the next.
But I will not confirm nor deny that either.
What I will confirm?
That these brownies rock.
I didn’t make Oreo Truffles this year. I wanted too, but ran out of time for all that rolling and dipping.
And then I thought, why not just make an Oreo Truffle layer? On brownies? And spread melted chocolate on top? So. Much. Easier.
And tasty, too.
I’ll be making these again for sure. As for letting Jordan see the night sky again…well, there’s always New Year’s Eve next year.
Notes about the recipe:
- Use any brand of brownie mix you want, as long as you make it in an 8×8 pan. A few brands have the smaller size option, or you can use my homemade brownie mix recipe and make it as directed for a 9×9 pan (but bake it in an 8×8).
- Use ANY flavor Oreo to change up the flavor!
- The crushed Oreos on top are optional, but pretty.
- It’s best to let these set at room temperature so you don’t get splintery chocolate when you cut them. (You know, like in the photos.)
Oreo Truffle Brownies
Yield: 16 brownies
Total Time: 1 hour
Why roll Oreo Truffles when you can put them on top of brownies?? Use your favorite brownie mix or recipe and make Oreo Truffle Brownies!! They're so chocolatey and delish.
- 1 box brownie mix, any brand (8x8 pan size) and ingredients called for on box
- (Or you can use my homemade brownie mix recipe, baked in an 8x8 pan)
- 23 Oreo Cookies, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or shortening
- Bake brownies according to package directions, using foil to cover your pan for easy removal. Leave in pan and let cool completely. (The refrigerator can help speed up this process.)
- Finely crush 20 Oreo cookies in a food processor. Add cream cheese to food processor and pulse until mixture is combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the machine as needed. Spread over brownies and press to compact.
- Place remaining 3 Oreo cookies in a large resealable bag and roll with a rolling pin to crush.
- Melt chocolate chips and oil or shortening in a microwave safe bowl (on high in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth). Spread evenly over Oreo truffle mixture using an offset spatula. Sprinkle with Oreo cookie crumbs. Let set before slicing into bars. (Note: it's best to let these set at room temperature. If you chill them, the chocolate will splinter when cut, so be sure they are room temperature before cutting if you care about that.)
Look how far I’ve come:
Original Photo: 2012